“Just fabulous”
Review of Oceanic Divecenter

Oceanic Divecenter
Ranked #6 of 15 Tours in Kata Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: PADI 5 Star Instructor Development Center from 1999 to 2012. Now upgraded to SSI and PADI Dive Center. Walking distance from both Kata & Karon beaches. The three British/Swedish owners have been instructing PADI and SSI courses, guiding dives around Phuket and assisting travellers in many aspects of their holiday for many years. Experienced, friendly staff provide all levels of PADI & SSI diver training specialising in NERVOUS BEGINNERS, families & JUNIORS. LOCAL DIVING, DAYTRIPS for DIVING and SNORKELLING- PHI PHI, Similan Islands, Burma, Hin Daeng/Muang.
Useful Information: Baby buggy parking, Wheelchair access, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I came to Phuket so that I could learn something new. I was curious about diving and was very fortunate to walk into Oceanic dive centre. Rachel and Joel greeted me warmly and explained the different packages that were available. Despite my timeframes being short and being a busy time of the year they were able to get me started really quickly.

They helped fit me out with equipment that felt just right. My instructor, Martin was very patient and thorough with my tuition. There was never a time that he was not there to help me and ensure that I was safe, comfortable and that I was enjoying myself.

I did both my Open Water and Advanced Open Water courses with them. Every step of the way they made sure that every detail was perfect. They are such a professional operation. If you would ever be interested in learning to dive, you must see Rachel and Joel.

More than this though, these people gave me a wonderful experience. Then to top off everything they became my friends. I am so grateful for everything that Oceanic gave me. Thank you so much Rachel and Joel. A very big thank you to Martin too for being so patient, thorough and kind.

All reviews
"professional operation"
"dive certificate"
"weather conditions"

Reviewed 18 March 2014

I've dived in Thailand a fair amount but this time I was looking for someone with trips to the dive sites south of Phuket. I did my research before hand to find places with good reviews, but I like to phone up to chat in person to get a feel for a place; man, was I glad I did!

The first 3 places I called didn't take the time to listen to my questions properly - Oceanic Divecenter did! Rachel was so terrific on the phone, nothing was too much trouble and communication was responsive and helpful. Then when we got out there Chris was everything you wanted from a divemaster, fun, happy, safe, helpful. The whole trip was excellent and these guys deserve their excellent reviews.

Thanks to everyone involved.

3  Thank Jim C
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I took my open-water certificate here at Oceanic and had an absolutely wonderful experience. Rachel, the shop owner, was very helpful and accomodating to my ever-changing vacation schedule -- and a super cool lady in general. Communication was a non-issue since most of the staff are from english-speaking countries, and indeed all my interactions with Oceanic was an absolute pleasure from the moment I walked in from the street. (That instant-chemistry was my primary reason for selecting Oceanic over the many other diveshops in Kata/Karon.) Phill, my instructor, was both cool and very professional, providing excellent instructions and at the same time conveying his (highly contagious) passion for diving. I could not have asked for a better teacher. It is my impression that everyone at Oceanic are there not to make money but simply because they love diving and love meeting new people.

The shop offers PADI and SSI certification as well as regular rec boat dives. Although their prices are very competitive, Oceanic is not the cheapest diveshop in Kata. However their prices includes everything you need -- unlike many of the other shops where you have to pay additional fees for teaching materials, etc -- and Oceanic does provides a 100% trouble- and worry-free experience. The absolute only thing I'd might complain about was the somewhat cold and spartan teaching room. (In stark contrast to the vivid experience outside the theory room.)

I can only give Oceanic my highest recommendation to anyone seeking an authentic diving experience, and I will certainly be returning to Oceanic myself if I visit Kata or Karon again.

1  Thank Rasmus S
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We just stumbled upon this divecenter while we looking for another divecenter. We couldnt have been more happy about it.

Joel and Rachel, who runs oceanic, are really helpful. They arranged live-aboard, day-trip and a refreshing beach Dive for us! They were professional and honest about costs and standard for the boat and did not oversell anything! It seems like they really care about giving the customers a good experience. Both the daytrip and liveaboard was well organized, and the diving was really good. We also used Rachel and Joel's local knowledge about Kata, and got recommandations for literally everything from tailor to restaurants. We also stopped by the center for a beer and a good talk some evenings, since we stayed closeby.

We highly recommend this Dive center, they take really good care of you!

1  Thank John S
See more reviews
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I have just completed by PADI open water with Oceanic and they were all fantastic from start to finish. Rachel's initial email was very professional and in comparison to others I emailed was very upfront regarding costs - there were no hidden costs along the way. It was great to be picked up and dropped off at the hotel every day by Joel too. Chris, my instructor, was BRILLIANT. Very patient and thorough through all of the skills and injected lots of fun into the whole process. I definitely felt in safe hands and loved the dives on the Kata Beach reef and at Racha Yai. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them in every way!