“Don't be fooled by the pictures”

Baannueng@Kata (The Kata Orient House)
Ranked #13 of 61 Kata Beach B&B and Inns
DF
“Don't be fooled by the pictures”
Reviewed 5 February 2012

I stayed here recently for 4 days when in Phuket, I should have seen a bad "hotel" coming when a week before I traveled I received an e-mail from what I assume is one of the owners or managers of the hotel - Mr Paul Mahler wrote me in reply to my request to confirm my booking with the following: "We do not feel good about your booking.
Of course we have some accommodation for you but, as you book late and most of the rooms are already booked, you will have to shift rooms 3 times in 3 days.
We are afraid that these are not the best conditions to celebrate a wedding anniversary."

After a lot of "negotiation" between myself, Agoda, Mr Paul and 3 international calls to Agoda later he managed to have sorted out my problem of not having a room for the 3 days, problem solved? I though so.... that was until I arrived at the hotel.
I was greeted by Kevin who introduced himself as the night manager, pinned to my booking form which I had to sign was a string of e-mails between himself and Paul, showing that they had got a booking from Agoda, but the hotel had not acknowledged and therefore forgotten my booking, if I remember correctly the first e-mail he asked "do you know anything about this guy?" But OK, Kevin said to me that my room had been upgraded to a superior room as a "present" for our 4th wedding anniversary, still not acknowledging the mountain of e-mails between Paul and I and still not acknowledging that they had mad a mistake with the booking. OK, they told me that they were getting the room ready (at 6pm way after check in time) and that we would be able to go to our room soon.
OK fair enough we then were shown to a room that was at the back of the hotel, according to Kevin it was one of the newest rooms in the hotel and considering that this was a $50 a night hotel, I though it would be a reasonable room, to my surprise I was showing to a room that reminded me of the days back when I was 18 and backpacking, something that you would expect to pay max $20 a night for. We were dog tired so we left our bags and started to look around the room, first thing I noticed is that the sliding door did not work properly it no longer slid, it rather jutted along very slowly, secondly when you were finally able to close to the door was a huge gap in between the doors which allowed us to be eaten alive at night by mosquito's.... thank god I brought repellent.
I sat on the bed, and then felt what everyone has been talking about, probably the hardest mattress and pillows in the world! I then went into the bathroom to (which is tiled hospital blue), has no shower curtain and has a electric shower that only gets warm if you let the water trickle out literally dripping. The basin is OK, although I found that the housekeeping staff had not been cleaning properly, as there is a ring of dirt coating the silver around the drain, and after I showered later I also found that the drains give off a rancid smell of raw sewerage which manages to circulate around the room.....honestly at this stage I was already ready to find another hotel, but my wife was sick with a gastric bug and was in no state to travel to another hotel.
Another thing I noticed is that there were outside tables and chairs in front of all the rooms except mine....
So as Kevin said to me the day before, if there were any problems we should go and speak to him, so after breakfast (which was also disappointing and consisted of Nescafe some eggs and cereal) we went to speak to him.
What happened next I honestly did not expect, I told him about the problems and was quaintly told that they upgraded them me out of the kindness of their hearts, they gave me their newest room and that they could downgrade me if I didn't watch out, and questioned my stating that the door did not close, saying "how can you lock the door if it does not close", and that they didn't know anything about the drain or the door not closing but they would send a "mechanic" to fix the door later. And he told me that the tables and chairs were a special request that all the other rooms had requested (even the very simplest). Shocked I left and went back to my room, waiting for the "mechanic" to come and fix the door and someone to come and fix the drain, or at least bring some air freshener.
Well the chairs came quickly, within 2 mins of us leaving, a rickety white table and two chairs.
But I waited and waited and waited, no-one came to fix the door, the drain. Then suddenly Kevin appeared, they suddenly had another room available, I entered to check the room out and maybe there was some truth in what he was saying about our room being the newest, cos the shower was falling off the wall in this Room, the lights were improvised, it had an even older looking blue fridge, and seemed to be in worse wear than our, I then politely declined to accept this room as a replacement. Still nobody came to fix the door or get rid of the awful smell that was coming from the drain. I then had to go to the reception again and ask another woman, to send someone to try to get rid of the smell in the drain, which was not really resolved but lessened by them spraying some air freshener and throwing some bleach down the drain. Not once did Kevin come to me to see if everything was OK, if my wife was feeling better and if the "mechanic" had come to fix the problem with the door, which he never came to fix. It seemed that in those 4 days I stayed at Kata Orient House, he actually tried his best to ignore me and my wife and even avoided being around on the day and time we had to check out.
Honestly, I have no shame in saying that this is undoubtedly the worst "hotel" I have ever stayed in (and I have stayed in a lot) and I would never waste my money staying here ever again.

Room Tip: Don't book the standard rooms they face the street.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jac321

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 February 2012

The Location is worth considering. It is up a comparatively quiet road, and as others have said, about 15 minutes from the beach, and a little bit away from the noisy Tshirts-Suits-Restaurants part of town. This is either good or bad depending on your personal attitude. I kind of liked it. There are still a dozen Massage parlors nearby, but with a bit more relaxed feel to it.

Something crazy must have been happening with their bookings in January because we also were asked to split up on our first night. We had a 4 person double room booked, and they tried to send two of us to another hotel. We opted to take a single room and roll in a fold out bed. You can't split up a family on the first night in a strange country. Just not an option.

As for the rooms, avoid the front rooms that face onto the car park area. Others have mentioned the bar, while I will simply mention the noises of cars and delivery trucks and motor scooters rolling in and out all night. Get a bungalow or at least a pool facing room.

The rooms themselves were big enough to squeeze 4 people into them when it was needed. Nice and spacious. The beds were firm but fine. It was the hard pillows that got people talking. Just buy a few softer pillows please Kata Orient. TV with channels in lots of languages. Functional bathroom that could use a fan installed. A steamy room after a shower to get rid of sweat is a bother. Wifi if you stand in the right spot in the room.

The Pool is great. Good to jump in after a day out. Clean and a nice temperature.

The restaurant was a good place to float about at and figure out you days plans. Simple toast coffee and cereal breakfast, with a small price for eggs and bacon if you are in the mood for that. You and wander in the any time of day and sit and figure out your plans and have a coffee.

They are helpful with booking stuff. Bear in mind there are also a dozen tour booking shops along this quiet road too, all offering the exact same stuff. No harm stepping into a few and lightly haggling the price of tours.

Overall I enjoyed the stay, though I'd push a different room next time.

Room Tip: Poolside rooms or bungalows
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Nrecastle
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Disappointing hotel- the website made the rooms look lovely but we were put in a scruffy old hotel accross the road (damp, and shared with lots of mosquitos). We had to ask to be moved back to what we'd paid for! They had the cheek to pretend that they were giving us an upgrade then, but it was really only what we'd paid for in the first place!
Many of the staff didn't have basic English, struggling to serve what we'd asked for (even simple orders like 'two Chang'- a repeat of what was on the table).

However, the pool area was lovely and the breakfast was adequate.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Thebobsontour
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I booked three rooms at Kata Orient via expedia well in advance of my trip, however on arrival was told that I had made a mistake and only one room had been booked. It eventually transpired that they had misread my booking, and subsequently the staff found rooms at other hotels to accommodate us all (albeit with single beds). Unfortunately this meant that our group were not all in the same place, and no discount was offered for their mistake. However, the staff were generally very nice and helpful, the rooms were simple but spacious and clean, and the pool area was lovely. The included breakfast was nice and convenient.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Middle East
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Small things made this a great stay. Staff were kind and thoughtful. Christmas wreaths were on every door and a tasteful Christmas gift was left Christmas day. The swimming pool was clean as were the rooms and bathrooms. The pool area was nicely landscaped. It was a fifteen minute walk to the beach and a five minute walk to the local bus into Phuket Town. Beds were firm but comfortable. We didn't try breakfast. Good value.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WitraB
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 5 January 2012

The service was amazing, kitchen staff, front reception, everyone. Breakfast was simple but adequate. Rooms are big and very clean, although quite dated. Takes about 15 mins to walk to the beach. The hotel is situated in a semi quiet street with a 7-11 across the road. The pool was small but clean and inviting. I would stay again.

• Stayed December 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 4 January 2012

This is a great little hotel, if you are on a bit of a budget. Super friendly staff, always smiling. The rooms are very basic little bungalow style, but very clean and comfortable, and yes the bed was very hard, but this seems to be par for the course in thailand (from my experience in a variety of hotels). Breakfast is simple; eggs, toast, fruit, but nicely done and included in the room price. Really lovely pool, and maybe we just had good timing but we usually had it to ourselves, and on the day we left we had a few hours to kill after checkout and before going to the airport so we were giving clean towels and could use the pool for as long as we liked - also access to a shower! I thought this was really nice! The beach is about 10mins walk (would be much closer if Club Med were not blocking the foreshore!) and there are plenty of restaurants, shops and massage places within 5 mins walk. It is not a 5 star hotel, so don't expect opulence, but it is great value and had everything we needed and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to other travelers.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple