“Don't go here, worst experience in Thailand I ever had”

Baannueng@Kata (The Kata Orient House)
Ranked #13 of 61 Kata Beach B&B and Inns
Sepilok, Malaysia
“Don't go here, worst experience in Thailand I ever had”
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We stayed here for just one night. First of all, this place and the rooms do not look like the pictures. The rooms aren't luxurious at all and they smell very damp. Our linen had weird looking stains on them (like blood or something). We had a discount because of low season, so for us the price was ok but the prices on their website are NOT worth it. Also, it's not close to the beach at all, it says 300 meters in their description but this is not true because you have to walk all the way around Club Med wich is blocking the beach with a big wall.

First the people here seemed friendly, especially the woman. But in the morning when we wanted breakfast, problems started. Because I'm allergic to gluten and also a vegetarian, I usually have a vegetable omelet for breakfast so I have to ask for a adjustment because most times omelets are with bacon/sausages and toast. I've never had a problem with this anywhere in Thailand, and usually I get a substitution and people are very friendly and helpful about it. In this place they wanted to let me pay 120 baht for just a PLAIN omelette (normally that's the price with bacon). I asked why I had to pay for bacon when I don't eat it because I'm a vegetarian, but they didn't want to do anything for me. I asked for the manager because the waiter didn't understand English very well, first he didn't want to come and when I did, he basicly told us to leave in a very agitated way. I've never been treated like this in Thailand anywhere, normally people are very friendly here and they usually offer me an omelet with tomatoes or something and when the omelet is part of a set, I don't have to pay the full price. Both me and my boyfriend didn't understand why we were treated like that while all I did was asking a question. I was very shocked about this.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Stayed here for a week, the bed was very hard and uncomfortable. The shower was a poor sight. we didn't have a proper door... patio doors which did not shut the entire way.. which made it very easy for mosquitoes. Also there was Building work from early morning to stupid a clock at night! and when we left the stuff were very rude.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nathan H
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 20 August 2012 via mobile

By far the best I've ever had, and believe me, I've had a lot of it. 120Bht. From the road the restaurant doesn't look up to much, but it's tasty, cheap and clean. Bar service can be a bit slow mind you - if there's no one there I just help myself!

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Michael C
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Booked the place unseen for me and my 11 year old to stay for 16 nights, got there around 2pm, great reception from Kevin, ate some late lunch, tasty stir fry for 89Bht. Pool is small but unused so very relaxing, it's a 10 minute walk to the beach, everything's handy here. It's clean, staff are friendly and go out of their way to help you.

Honestly can't see what anyone can complain about.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
South Africa
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Quite an informal resort hotel, not pretentious in any way.

I paid a walk-in rate of B 1,250 per night, which is much cheaper than the internet rate so by Phuket standards it wasn't terribly priced.

But the rooms are old and tired and dark, the pool is too small to swim in, what's more I was nearly killed by a falling coconut which landed 1 step in front of me on the pathway around the pool - sounds quite amusing but I'm sure it would be no laughing matter if I had been just 1 or 2 seconds earlier!

The rooms have internet but I had to bargain with the management who said only 1 user per room - how ridiculous!

They allowed me to order a la carte breakfast since there was no vegetarian buffet breakfast, but it was so oily that I didn't bother ny more after 2 attempts. Cooked breakfast starts at 8 am too - far too late for a holiday hotel.

Lastly, I needed to check out early. I gave 3 days notice but instead of just thanking me for giving him some notice, the male manager nearly had a heart attack! He started wittering on about their terms and conditions which are posted on Agoda.com and elsewhere (none of whom I booked thru so entirely irrelevant). I informed him that I'd gladly pay whatever penalty I had signed agreement to ... which was none. :)

Thankfully, he dropped such claims after that.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 12 February 2012

It is almost quiet. The rooms are ok. There are lots of mosquitos and lizards in the rooms. There is problem with water pressure. There is often no water in shower. The swimmingpool is good but not clean. It located 10 minutes walking from beach. LCD tv with lots of canals.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
SP
Reviewed 5 February 2012

My husband and I were already expecting a bad experience at this place after having problems with our booking but nothing that bad. We had arranged this accomodation for 3 nights more than a month before we would check in and wrote the "hotel" to confirm the booking. We received a very worrying message from Paul Mahler saying that because we booked our room late (??), most of their rooms were already booked and if we decided to stay there we would have to switch rooms 3 times in 3 days. We were less than 10 days away to travel to Thailand and got very stressed trying to sort this out, first with the "hotel", then with Agoda. After quite a few international phone calls, the "hotel" confirmed that we wouldn't have to switch rooms, but at no point we got an apology or a message reassuring that we would have a nice stay.

When we finally got to Phuket at around 6 pm, after having travelled the whole day, Kevin, who introduced himself as the manager of the "hotel", told us to wait because they had to check if the room was ready. We would hope so, after all check in is at 2 pm... While we waited we were holding the booking papers and were able to read very embarrassing emails about us and our booking. From what we read, it was clear that they didn't have our booking, since they were asking each other if they knew anything about our reservation or "this guy", as they referred to my husband. After signing some papers, Kevin said that we were upgraded, since they only have 3 standard rooms (ok, so we were "upgraded" because of disorganization, not because they worried about our previous problem).

If we were already disappointed with the looks of the guesthouse (by now I think it's better to stop using the word "hotel") from the road, since the place is stuck behind two restaurants, imagine our reaction when we got to the room... To sum it up: wi-fi signal was too weak and only worked during the first night; the guesthouse provides two bottles of water a day (we didn't get ours on our last day) like any other hotel in Thailand but they use refillable glass bottles which you cannot remove from the room. That is a downer for day trips; the air-conditioning does not reach the bathroom, which gets very hot, and only reaches the bed if you switch on the fan; the bathroom itself could get an individual review... a disgusting sewerage smell, which comes from the drain, and we had to ask 3 times for someone to come and use some cleaning product but it didn't work as we had to cover it up with a piece of plastic and hold it with a glass... the shower area also has no door and the shower is actually handheld and at some points get very little water and it barely gets warm; the bed is indeed really hard as other TripAdvisor's users said and I found it also very flimsy as it kept on making strange noises as if it was about to break; the pillows are also uncomfortably fat and hard and we had to ask for some softer pillows; the tv is normally not a problem to us since it's just background noise but since I got a stomach bug and spent a lot of time in the room, it was disappointing to see we mainly had local channels, a lot of english movies dubbed to Thai and only a few watchable channels in English; the drapes and curtain rails were very old and here is one of the biggest problems, the sliding door were tilted which meant that we had to struggle to pull them together and still we had a huge gap that allowed mosquitos to come into the room.

Once we complained to Kevin about all of this he was extremely sarcastic, saying that we were in one of their newest rooms and that he could downgrade us if that would makes us more comfortable. I said that it surprised me the room was new since the smell was so bad, we had no chairs and tables outside like the other rooms and we were tucked away at the very back of the hotel and our door didn't close properly (and oh, did I mention we had no safe in the room?). He replied that he couldn't understand how we could lock the door if had a gap and promised to send someone to have a look ("a mechanic"), which obviously never happened. It is very intriguing to me that he would question us about it when the issue is so apparent! He also said that not all rooms had chairs outside and that was a special request and we could request it if we wanted to. I said that we didn't really care for it since I was feeling sick and would stay indoors anyway and that our only request was a room with a door that closed. Obviously the old table with two sad little chairs out of our door was the only thing he did something about... he didn't send anybody to check the drain or the door (we had to speak to another lady to get someone to throw some cleaning product into the drain).

He did come to us offering another room, which had the same smell and was in worse condition, with a broken shower head, older fridge, broken bedside lights... That actually made us believe that we were in a newer room, so we decided not to move as I was feeling really tired and sick and didn't want the hassle to move to something that was worse. The whole experience was awful. We felt insulted and it seemed that he didn't care at all! Actually, after this he started to avoid us and never asked us if things were better, if we were enjoying our stay... nothing! When we finally checked out we were very relieved to speak to another woman since we had no desire to speak to Kevin again. Right after we checked out he came back to his table and acted like we have never met.

This place is not a place you spend $50 a night, it is not even a last resort place. I will never return or recommend to family and friends. Stay away! Service is very poor, they are understaffed (this Kevin guy one morning made our breakfast which made us very weary) and the whole place is very rundown. Run!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the swimming pool are quieter.