Centara Kata Resort Phuket
Beyond Resort Kata(Kata Beach)(Great Value!)
US$90
US$84
  • Breakfast included
Metadee Resort and Villas(Kata Beach)(Great Value!)
US$250
US$132
Mom Tri's Villa Royale(Kata Beach)(Great Value!)
US$226
US$195
Agoda.com
Sawasdee Village(Kata Beach)(Great Value!)
US$128
US$112
  • Breakfast included
Chanalai Garden Resort(Kata Beach)(Great Value!)
US$47
US$46
US$95
The Boathouse Phuket(Kata Beach)(Great Value!)
US$168
US$164
Chanalai Flora Resort(Kata Beach)(Great Value!)
US$40
US$39
The Palmery Resort(Kata Beach)(Great Value!)
US$45
US$38
Kata Rocks(Kata Beach)
US$970
US$588
Trip.com
All reviewsemerald poolkids clubwaves poolfamily suiteseasons restaurantpool partyadult poolquiet poolground floorfamily holidaypool barmain poollow seasonmassage placesgreat holidayclose to shopstuk tuk
Reviewed 22 March 2011

The most amazing place i have stayed, our room was cleaned everyday and the staff was always polite smilling and helpfull. The gardeners are there every day and the grounds are imaculate, all pools are very clean. the variety for breakfast was awesome and cooked to pefection infront of you. Fruits, bagels, croisants were always on the side and you could go back as many time as you liked. Walking distance to beach and all shops totally amazing place that i will never forget.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Tinac15
Reviewed 20 March 2011

Stayed at Centara in Karon before so chose this hotel based on our experience there - wrong. Small room, breakfast only average (not freshly squeezed juice just out of a can!) not enough pool chairs - Europeans got up at 6am and placed towel on chair and then didnt sit in them until after 11 even though the hotel had a "policy" of no reservation on pool chairs. Was the only English speaking couple in whole complex. Thought it was closer to the beach (about a 15 minute walk because of Club Med blocking the whole beach area) shuttle bus from hotel only ran until 11.00am. Had to queue for breakfast in hot sun. Overall not a good hotel for just couples.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Revell01
Reviewed 8 February 2011

Breakfast variety- 3/5 basic variety , juices are not freshly squeezed.

Staff - 2/5 . Can be better in courtesy, services.

Room- 0/5. Was given a room
one the third floor. No lift, no view. Worst of all, the room was at the corner of the resort beside a road. Couldn't sleep till late due to noise from road. Complained the next morning and was told all rooms taken and couldn't change room. Later in the day, was pleased to be upgraded to suite room on ground floor in another wing. Had good night rest on subsequent nights. Good service recovery but should not had deserved to be given that lousy room in the first place. Thanks to Ms Thun anyway.

Didn't feel the Land of Smiles for this trip.

Distance from beach- 15 mins walk as the frontal was blocked by club med kata; thus gotta walk about 15 mins to the beach. Try other resort by the beach

• Stayed: February 2011
2  Thank Robin-Sngapore
Reviewed 24 January 2011

I stayed at this resort for 10 days in September 2010 with my mum, aunt and my two children. We got a great low-season deal thru (www.katabeach.com) cheaper than direct booking; I paid about $70 per night per room including breakfast. I spent hours on the internet before I booked looking for a resort that had a kids club, was close to a beach, restaurants and shops. I was happy with my choice, because it met these needs/wants.

ROOMS: We stayed in two adjacent (but not interconnecting) rooms on the ground floor of one of the blocks at the “Waves” restaurant and pool. The rooms are quite a reasonable size, I had a king bed and roll-away in mine, and two queens in the other room. The furnishings were fairly basic, the rooms are more 3+ than 4 stars, but this is fine with me. The rooms were always serviced well.

SPA: I had pre-booked a massage before we arrived. It was a really good massage, but the prices at the spa are about 3-4 times more than the numerous massage shops right outside resort, where I also had a massage (good but not great) and manicure/pedicure.

BREAKFAST AND RESORT DINING: a good breakfast spread, the kids loved the buffet concept, and the egg station was good. We ate quite a lot at the resort, especially lunch. There was a good value kids menu (from memory 100 or 120 BH? ++), but could have been improved with some Thai or other Asian dishes not just western. All my meals were OK, but typical with resorts a fair bit more expensive than dining out at other restaurants. Happy hour 2 for 1 cocktails made the drinks well priced. The Thai buffet night was good.

KIDS CLUB AND BABYSITTING: the kids club was a bit limited and best suited to fairly young children, though my 6 year old son always enjoyed the making activities. It was an OK place to leave the boys for 1-2 hours, but not an all day proposition, in part because it’s a semi-enclosed space with fans operating so in the hot/wet season when we were there it was fairly warm. Also there is no food permitted in the kids club, though the had a cold drinking water dispenser. There is an outside playground over sand that is next to the kids club; however there was no shade and the sand, play equipment and kids got very hot, so my kids only used it twice for very short plays after breakfast. The staff at the kids club were attentive to the kids but not overlay engaging. However, I did feel quite comfortable leaving the boys there and they always enjoyed it. I was also able to arrange babysitting using one of the kids’ club staff so I could go out to dinner a few times.

KATA BEACH AREA: While I was happy with the Centara resort, I was really pleased that we chose Kata for our stay. It was really family friendly, quite small with a village feel. The shop keepers, tuk-tuk drivers and beach sellers were ubiquitous but friendly. I have been to Phuket once before and visited Patong briefly and didn’t like the bar scene, and the more aggressive shop/stall keepers. Kata seems largely free of this.

THE BEACH: The Centara is a 10 minute stroll, or 1 minute (100 bh) tuk-tuk to the beach. Centara is situated about half way along the bay of Kata beach, but you can only get access to the beach at both ends due to the Club Med situated right along the central (3/4) of the beach. There is a public access road along the beachfront in front of the Club Med. The south end of Kata beach at the Kata beach resort was the liveliest part. Though there are well priced drink and food stalls that also hire beach loungers and umbrellas all the way along. I chose Kata beach in part because in the wet season it’s a reasonable surf beach I got to surf most days, there are lots of stalls along hiring boards by the hour. It’s a good learners – intermediate surf beach. My kids had fun bogie boarding and surfing. Although wavy, the beach was reasonably safe and there was a patrolled area. It’s also a beautiful bay with the tropical-treed fringe around the beach. The amount of rubbish at low tide was a disappointment, but I think it’s typical throughout Asia, it’s one thing we are very spoilt with in Australia.

KATA SHOPS AND DINING: Pleasant to stroll around, plenty to buy if you want to shop. Lots to places to eat. We enjoyed a good dinner at the Two Chefs (cost less $40 AU for 3 adults with main meals and drinks), and a nice seafood meal at the restaurant at the Sugar Palm Resort.

I would definitely go back to Kata Beach if holidaying in Phuket again, and would probably stay at the Centara Kata if we get another good deal.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank Holidaybelle6000
Reviewed 14 January 2011

Great location, very clean, great staff. Loved everything.
Only very busy January 2011 and difficult to get a pool chair. The Europeans basically got up at 6am and put towels on the pool chairs so by 7am there wasn't a pool chair available.We couldn't get a chair by the pool for the first four days we stayed which was the only annoying thing about the resort.
Otherwise beautiful place.