Centara Kata Resort Phuket
Beyond Resort Kata(Kata Beach)(Great Value!)
US$90
US$84
  • Breakfast included
Sawasdee Village(Kata Beach)(Great Value!)
US$128
US$112
  • Breakfast included
Kata Lucky Villa & Pool Access(Kata Beach)(Great Value!)
US$49
US$43
Metadee Resort and Villas(Kata Beach)(Great Value!)
US$250
US$143
Chanalai Flora Resort(Kata Beach)(Great Value!)
US$40
US$39
Chanalai Garden Resort(Kata Beach)(Great Value!)
US$47
US$46
The Boathouse Phuket(Kata Beach)(Great Value!)
US$168
US$95
The Palmery Resort(Kata Beach)(Great Value!)
US$45
US$38
Mom Tri's Villa Royale(Kata Beach)(Great Value!)
US$226
US$195
Agoda.com
All reviewsemerald poolkids clubwaves poolfamily suiteseasons restaurantpool partyadult poolquiet poolground floorfamily holidaypool barmain poollow seasonmassage placesgreat holidayclose to shopstuk tuk
Reviewed 12 October 2013

The Centara Kata is a fabulous mid-range, value for money resort. Not 4 star as suggested by any stretch. We are a family of five and initially booked two separate rooms for 15 nights. After arriving late at night and discovering that the rooms were not interconnecting, the front office were exemplary in accommodating our request and offered us an upgrade to a two bedroom suite (for a fee) for the next 7 nights. The room was conveniently located beside the main pool and the noise rarely bothersome as the pool closes at 7:00pm. Moved directly upstairs for rest of stay and only missed the convenience of the larger refrigerator.

Whilst the building shows its age in places, one cannot fault the cleanliness or facilities in general. What makes this place is the incredible friendliness of the staff who always greet you and mostly go above and beyond to ensure your happiness, even though we don't speak a word of Thai. It's in a great safe location and not overrun by drunken louts - perfect for young families.

Many reviews state that the breakfast is repetitive and I beg to differ. The breakfast is fantastic and provides plenty of variety with all the usual suspects done in various ways on alternate days plus Asian dishes. Beats my usual tea and toast by a long shot!

Three pools to choose from (one adults only) was a great change of scenery and poolside service of drinks and snacks a very welcome convenience. We saw some positive changes at the beginning of October (presumably for the high season) including the extension of happy hour at the main pool and the welcome introduction of a budget lunch menu.

One downside....
I would suggest that a little extra training for the restaurant staff wouldn't go astray. One for the sometimes spectacular way in which they often appear confused or don't deliver the order at all. Also for having twice contracted buggy tummies; once after a chicken lunch and once after the Thai buffet night which left three of us running between two toilets.

Special mention to some of the staff members who were highly engaging and helpful (Wan - front desk), Jong (concierge), Nueng and Bum (restaurant). They are a credit to their respective teams and deserve a bonus!

Overall, it is brilliant value for money.

Room Tip: Some construction going on near the Waves pool so avoid for the time being. Rooms in building 8 probably best for couples.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Hotel M, General Manager at Centara Kata Resort Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to write this very nice and helpful review. I am delighted to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay and very much appreciate your recommendations. I will pass on your kind comment to the team.

Thank you also for your comments about required training in the restaurants. As the newly appointed General Manager, please rest assured that I am taking your comments seriously and sincerely appreciate the feed back. Here at Centara we believe training is of utmost importance and this is certainly something I will look into.

Thank you also for the special mentioning of some of the team members. It is very much appreciated and I am delighted you were well looked after.

We hope to be able to welcome you soon again

Kind regards

gmckt@chr.co.th

Reviewed 8 October 2013

I stayed at this resort in September 2013 for 10 days.
It is located in Kata which is a much quieter area than Patong, and only a 10-15 minute walk to the beach. The hotel also offers a shuttle service to the beach.
It has 3 swimming pools and pleasant outdoor areas.
On the positive side, I found the staff to be very pleasant and service oriented.
I also liked that one of the pools was for adults only, where one could relax in quiet surroundings.
The grounds are large. My room was a good 5 minute walk from reception.
The room was spacious and the bed and pillows very comfortable.
It was very clean.
The laundry service is fine. However on two occasions the laundry was not returned the same day, as expected.
There is only one laundry sheet, and a replacement doesn't generally come when the laundry is returned. The same applies to the laundry bag.
I found it inconvenient to have to request laundry forms and a bag every time I needed the service. I resorted to writing the laundry count on a piece of paper on more than one occasion.
The hotel has one restaurant and the quality of the food was ok but not great.
The outside area of the restaurant is pleasant and overlooks one of the pools. It is rather pleasant.
But the heat outside encourages one to go inside, and unfortunately, the air conditioning was generally not turned on.
This, together with the average food quality didn't encourage me to use it as often as I would have liked.
Overall I thought that this was a pleasant resort.
However, the advertised 4 star classification would suggest a higher standard.
Nevertheless, the lovely staff are a credit to management and the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this honest and helpful review.

As the recently newly apponted General Manager, I was very concerned to read about your experience with the laundry. Please rest assured that I am taking this seriously and will be looking into improving the way we handle our laundry service. Your comments are very much appreciated.

I am also sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with the quality of our food, which will also be something I will be looking into.

I am delighted that in general you found the resort to be pleasant and would like to thank you for your kind comments about our staff, which I will be shaing with the team.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not so distant future

gmctk@chr.co.th

Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

cheap place to stay with nice pools and spa. rooms ok beds are very hard but you can ask for a mattress topper.
restaurant staff dont smile and dont offer so you have to ask for everything.
the cleaning staff are the friendliest in the whole place.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tamasin101

Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking the time to share this review.

I am sorry to hear that your found our beds a bit to hard, but appreciate your recommendation for the mattress topper, which we do have available on request.

I can only appologise on behalf of my restaurant team and I am sorry to hear that the smiles were missing during your stay. This is unusual and I can assure you not the norm for our otherwise very friendly team. I am delighted to hear about our housekeeping team and I will forward your very kind comments to the staff

Thanking you again for your review

Kind regards

gmckt@chr.co.th

Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed there for 10 days staff helpful location ok but a quite area if you want more night life go to patong
Rooms are ample and clean
Grounds very nice overall aimed at Aussie market... Family hotel good for kids safe pool area
Rooms can be noisey if people above have children running around

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 1 October 2013

An excellent family resort with great facilities that is close to all the action - restaurants, massages, shopping, kata beach. The staff are very friendly, the food is great and the pools are fantastic. We had a great 10 days there.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family