“What a view but just something missing”

Andaman Cannacia Resort
Ranked #28 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Castle Cove, Australia
“What a view but just something missing”
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We had heard about the "hill" after reading reviews on Trip Advisor- what a load of nonsense and if it is too hard to walk get a Tuk Tuk.
Anyway, onto the hotel.It is ideally located and the views from the pool area and the right rooms are great.
The staff are polite, the rooms are clean and adequately sized and the food is acceptable but that's where it ends.
You scratch your head and ask; what's missing here?
Answer- no management to be seen in 8 days ( I kid you not), the restaurant staff speak virtually no English and the place is a bit run down.
Was it pleasant? Yes. Would I go there again? No
Would I take my parents- definately not- way too many stairs.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a view room away from the pool
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Foxy_Jon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 14 January 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights and i didnt get a nice vibe from this place at all.The room was very very basic and the bed was so hard i couldnt sleep to add to that so were the pillows, when i asked reception for a softer pillow they had said house keeping was done for the day.Great!!
We didnt stay around the pool area as the beach here is kata is beautiful.The pool area itself was quite small but did over look kata beach so it had a ownderfull view the only thing was to see the view you had to walk to the edge and look over trees it wasnt in direct view from the pool!!
This hotel was very quiet so there was no atmosphere.Its up a hill so keep that in mind if you dont like walking uphill.
They do have a free shuttle bus that takes you doen the town and picks you back up!!
We had made two two min local calls and they charged us e20 for the calls, madness!!
We paid e90 a night and it really wasnt worth that.We ate in the restuarant the meal was ok the staff i ahve to say werent great!!
I wouldnt stay in this hotel again!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank karleigh
London
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We stayed at the Andaman for 10 nights over xmas and at first we were given the villa jacuzzi room which was dark and had no proper lighting in the bathroom. The Jacuzzi was in the bathroom and it wasn't very private.
These rooms were meant to be better than the standard rooms but when asked to move to the standard room they turned out way bigger, with better views of Kata beach.

The internet is not free, it costs 500 baht per day (24hrs) which i think is pretty pricey considering most hotels had free wifi.

The most disappointing was the xmas dinner. We were expecting a ''Thai themed '' dinner but it wasn't. We had a mix of, sushi, salads, duck, pork and chicken with no gravy or potatoes. The food was of poor quality and not a lot of people enjoyed it. We paid 3300 baht each which is roughly £90 for a dinner. Because it was compulsory we had no choice. Also, this price did not include alcohol!

Andaman is more of a 3* hotel rather than a 4*. Other members of my family stayed at the Metadee Resort and spa just down the road (no hill, no compulsory dinner & free internet) and for the same price it was WAY better. The rooms were more modern and each room stepped out onto a large pool which went around the whole hotel.

Overall Andaman is an old fashioned hotel which is over-priced and i wouldn't stay there again. Rather look at the Metadee Resort if you are looking to stay at a 4* in Kata Beach.

Room Tip: Standard Rooms on the 3rd or 2nd floor have better views than all the others.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 9 December 2011

Stayed here for 5 days and 4 nights in late November 2011 and were very happy with the overall experience.

Firstly this being Thailand the level of customer service is second to none, all the staff members are just thrilled to welcome you to their lovely island paradise and no request is too hard to please.

Firstly - yes it is on a hill and yes you get tuk tuk drivers heaving a melodramatic sigh when negotiating fares back from Patong but guess what - the walk from the bottom of the hill to the hotel takes only 10 minutes maximum if you are a very slow walker or if you haven't exercised in the last 5 years. Walking down is only 5 minutes. Otherwise, everyone else will find it a manageable walk. If you don't want the hill, go somewhere else but if you want the views of the Andaman Sea and the sea breeze from your hotel room, then ain't no mountain high enough should be your motto. Besides the tsunami evacuation point is on this hill (in case you need any more justification). If you can't be bothered to walk up then you can hire a taxi or tuk tuk for around 200 baht - remember you pay per vehicle regardless of whether there's 1 or 5 of you as passengers. Stop whingeing about the price because it's still less than the flagfall charge back home and it's still cheaper than a gym membership at Fitness First (which is what you may want to consider getting before your trip to Thailand if you want to charge up and down hills - or fit into the hottest fashion in Pratunam markets). Or hire a scooter instead.

We (my sister and her partner, and myself) stayed in the canna deluxe room which was more than adequate for our needs. It is slightly bigger than the sandard hotel room and the extra space comes in handy if you have an extra rollaway bed like we had to have. The king sized bed should be described as "supersize" - we have a proper king size bed at home but this was at least 30% bigger. The room was nicely furnished and very clean. The buffet breakfast was included with our room and was a generous spread. The hotel overall has a casual, laid back vibe which fits in perfectly with the tropical environment - I doubt that velvet flooring and marble and brass fixtures would work in a beach setting anyway. The hotel's swimming pools are lovely and the grounds are well maintained.

The hotel is halfway between the larger Kata beach and the smaller but my personal favourite which is Kata Noi. Kata beach is 5-10 min walk downhill and Kata Noi is 10-15 min downhill. Kata is slightly busier but has the advantage of being surrounded by lots of laid back cafes and shops as well as having a number of beach kiosks and massage stalls, whereas Kata Noi is very quiet and has no trades on its beach. Kata Noi and Kata are only 10 minutes walk from each other.

It is at least an hour's drive from the airport to this hotel. It is a 15 minute taxi or tuk tuk trip from the hotel to Patong.

Room Tip: you're better off getting the canna deluxe rooms rather than the garden villas, as the deluxe ro...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank LAG2612
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Overall, my experience at the hotel was pleasant. I was given a sea view Canna Deluxe as requested. The view from the pool and my hotel room was excellent. I wished I spent more time on the pool chairs taking in the view from the pool. The room was clean, tidy and spacious. I loved the bed, although it maybe a bit too stiff for my liking, but it was definitely huge (king size). Air conditioning was fine. The hotel even provided clean beach towels everyday and 2 bottles of drinking water.

Location was pretty good, a short walk down to shops and Kata beach. Walking down was easy, but up was a bit of a climb (it's only about a 5 min walk up the steep slope though, but it really is steep).

My only gripes was the hotel's spa is different from what the hotel's website described. The spa's name is not even the same. On the first day when I was there, me and my partner decided to check out the spa and make an appointment. But unfortunately, there was no staff at the spa's reception or people to be seen anywhere (I even walked into the "Staff Only" rooms, but there weren't anyone around, it was totally deserted). The other thing was that the hotel did not immediately honour the asiawebdirect.com hotel voucher which clearly states that I was entited a 10% off discount voucher for F&B and 20% off discount voucher for the Hotel's Spa. I was given the vouchers the next day of my stay. These were the only 2 minor hiccups which did not really affect my stay in any way.

All in all, my expectations were definitely met for the price I paid for the stay.

Room Tip: Definitely try to get a sea view room.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Queenstown, New Zealand
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I really enjoyed our recent stay at Andaman Cannacia Resort. We had the Honeymoon suite (although not on honeymoon). There was a jacuzzi bath on the terrace, and the best thing was that it was very private and noone could see into your room, terrace or jacuzzi. The views from the suite were amazing as it was a corner top floor room.
The pool area was lovely, breakfast tasty and shuttle to Kata Beach available. The hill was not really something I wanted to walk up in such hot weather especially as you walk on the main road so we just took shuttles up...
I would recommend Kata Noi rather than Kata beach, it is smaller and much nicer. The hotel shuttle took us there for 100Bhath (normal price 150) and we couldnt get back any cheaper than 200, but it was well worth.
Also if you walk on the main road up hill from the hotel, you'll get to After Beach Bar which must be the best place ever to watch the sunset, with nice food and cocktails.

Room Tip: Honeymoon suite was a great choice. I think they only have one so don't hope for an upgrade :)
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 0nHoliday
Sheffield, UK
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I really enjoyed a stay at this hotel for 10 nights. Possibly the only reason I would not go back was the location. The hill is seriously steep and we found unwalkable which meant we relied on the Free hotel tuk tuk or taxis.

We had a Canna Deluxe Room which went straight out to the pool. It was perfect. A large size room, with dressing area and big bathroom and with great aircon.

The hotel was very quiet when we went, about 20 other guest but this added to the charm. There were no other british couples, which was not a probably and I found refreshing.

Breakfast was standard buffet with a mixture of thai, cereals, bread etc with a fresh omlette station. We ate a few nights in the restuarant and the food was lovely. A mixture of thai with a twist and other foods such as pasta, pizza. We also ate at the pool bar one lunch and had an amazing chicken staty wrap.

The staff were very helpful and with it being low season took the opportunity to practice their english.

There was maintance happening in the resturant which didnt affect us but the hotel compensated by giving us a free thai masssage and afternoon snacks.

The spa was really nice with very friendly girls. We had an hour thai massage and an aloe aftersun wrap to easy the sunburn. The spa wasn't as cheap as those in the towns and on the beach but I definitly would go again.

One word of warning. We arranged for the tuk tuk to pick us up from the beach and it never came. We had to pay for tuk tuk back ourselves. We did complain and received a lovely fruit platter. But alway double check your times before you leave the hotel.

Wifi is available but its not the cheapest I ever had.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends