“A lovely hotel, wonderful staff - but something's missing”

Andaman Cannacia Resort
Ranked #28 of 57 Hotels in Kata Beach
Norwich, United Kingdom
“A lovely hotel, wonderful staff - but something's missing”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

This is a tricky one to review. The hotel's mountain setting looking up to a huge, beautiful Buddha statue and down on a superb sandy bay with a sapphire sea and spectacular surf is a travellers' delight.

The accommodation is quiet, cosy and lacks nothing in the creature comfort department. Rooms are well equipped with massive beds, global tv, fridge, safe and all the expected luxuries. Balconies are a good size but because of a sloping wall partition with neighbours, a little lacking in privacy

The lobby and adjacent restaurant area are comfortable and border on the stately home.

The food is consistently delicious. The menu is huge and nothing disappoints.

The pool area is picturesque, comfortable and is taken care of by very attentive staff. The beach is a different matter. It is a long way away and not very accessible. We tried the stepped footpath and it was very steep and a long journey. The alternative is hourly bus transport to a sister hotel which is also not actually on the beach.

The Thai and Philippine staff are friendly, helpful and mostly very efficient except for the odd occasion in the restaurant, when your main course arrived before your starter or, a bit more awkward, they both arrived together!

We went with Thomson who were superb in every respect. Their trips to James Bond Island and the elephant rides were brilliantly organised and entertaining in every respect.

The nearby towns of Kata and Patong are full of life - shops, bars, clubs and restaurants and well worth a visit.

I think anyone planning to go to this little gem should do so soon, for I have a feeling that before long this will become pretty much an exclusively Russian reserve.

Thanks to all for a super holiday.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Gwynne C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We had the privilege of staying for 10 nights in this beautiful, tranquil and clean hotel. We were accommodated in a Canna Deluxe Seaview room which had a breathtaking view and was very comfortable. The facilities are of exceptional quality and the swimming pools were always in pristine condition. Breakfasts were varied and of good quality. The staff performed their duties with excellence and their positive attitude ensured a wonderful holiday. We will return many times and will certainly use this hotel. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sheilaberetti
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Exceptional grounds with a beautiful pool area, lobby, and restaurant. The hotel is located at the top of a steep hill and while shuttles are provided they didn't happen often enough to be useful so we made the walk instead. The food in the restaurant was good, but expensive in comparison to what you could find in town.
The front desk staff were friendly, but other staff were somewhat less interested in being friendly. Our room was fairly dark being on the first floor, but did have its own outdoor space. The fitness area was disappointing with 2 of the 3 machines not working. If your focus is to sit around a beautiful pool area and soak up the sun, this is a great spot.

Room Tip: Low rooms are dark. Pay the extra for a great view given e hotel is on the hill.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hypurv
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Well, all I can say is what a disappointing experience at this hotel. If it wasn't for the fact the town was a short walk (down an extremely steep hill) away, I think I would have come home.
Being honest, if you are hard working and save for your holidays, don't bother with this hotel, try the Caribbean, or at least look at a nicer hotel in the area.

Hotel - Apparently it is a 4 star. Highly disagree.I've travelled the world, this isn't 4 star. Room was clean, but bar never stocked. Pool is green, not blue - I'm still deaf 8 days on following the ear infection. If it rains (which it probably will), make sure you be careful around the pool area as you WILL fall over if not careful.

Food - Ate there for day's one and two. Went into town for the remaining 5 nights. However, if you like curry and spaghetti bolognese for breakfast, by all means fill your boots.

All Inclusive - staff are completely unaware of what All Inclusive means, even though you have to present a card proving you are AI. Make sure you do not have RSI in your writing hand, you have to sign for everything, on day one I was accosted whilst in the restaurant for not signing for a bottle of water.

Staff - Lovely, but there are just far too many of them! They have nothing to do as there seemed to be no guests at the hotel, so they watched you eat and sunbathe and kept hassling you for more drinks. The first night in the restaurant I counted 11 staff, and there were two couples having a meal.

Bar - only a bar near the pool which shuts about 7 or 8pm. They will bring you a drink if you sit in the reception area, but there is nothing going on to want to sit in the reception area. Mojito's are nice though.

Entertainment - I think there were two acts whilst i was there. They get an A for effort, but there is only so much you can take of the murdering of all your favourite songs on an out of tune guitar. I can never listen to American Pie ever again.

Walkway to the beach and accessibility - If you or your relative are disabled in any way or have mobility problems (wheelchair or crutches), do not go to this hotel. The walkway is a major hazard, and the steep hill with limited lighting and no footpaths to the town/beach are dangerous. Thai drivers have no consideration for pedestrians, my wifes arm was clipped by a wing mirror, they don't stop. Taxis are available from the hotel though, just to balance out my comment.

Town - the town is good. I spent most of my time there (even though the smell of the sewers is always lingering), plenty of shops selling fake goods and loads of tatt you don't need. Relatively cheap. Make sure you barter, try going half or more of what they are selling, they will give in and you will get a bargain. Lots of nice restaurants, a few really nice bars where you can enjoy the entertainment. Again, if you are walking from this hotel, please be aware you will be dodging the traffic on the main road and I would suggest once again if you have mobility problems get a taxi.

Phuket Community - Readers, please watch your wallets and belongings. I spoke to one guy who had his bag stolen, complained to a policeman, and ended up for two days in the local jail. I spoke to another couple who had their wallets stolen in a bar, they had a guy come up to them really friendly and he hugged the bloke and took his wallet. The street traders will always try and get close to you, shake your hand etc. I didn't take heed, I had mine stolen too. I also enquired about a suit being made for me, I didn't order it and left it, our last night the shop owner and his friend chased us down on a moped and stopped in front of us and squared up to us - apparently his manager wanted us to buy the suit, we needed to buy the suit. I am not a violent and confrontational person in any way, but I could have blacked out with rage at this display of intimidation. Finally, this town is like Little Moscow. Just saying.

Beach - Beautiful. Sea is warm, lots of sunbeds. Be careful which sunbed you sit at. Dependent on where you are, it can cost 1000 bahts per person, or if you find the right area, 100 bahts. There are jellyfish in the sea, just be careful, but I believe the snorkelling was good, I couldnt go because I had a raging ear infection caught from the pool at our glorious hotel.

Flight - the only positive about the experience. We went with Thomson. The dreamliner is sublime. I am 6ft 5ins and I had bags of room.

Overall, would I go back? Absolutely not, even if I won this holiday in a competition or someone gave me this hotel in their will. I work too hard to waste a week or a fortnight.

I know that holidays following the financial crisis are a real luxury to the majority of people and if you are looking for a really good holiday thinking Thailand will be tropical and beautiful I would strongly urge you to reconsider - it is a long way to go. I have been to the Caribbean many times - give that a shot instead.

Happy holiday!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alfiepork
Thailand
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Great breakfasts, good personnel, beautiful swimming pool, nice rooms. After 2 days we received an invitation to deluxe room at Peach Blossom hotel for free. Hotel's taxi driver helped us carry our luggage.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alexander Y
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 21 October 2013

The room was very nice, beautifully located.
The staff was friendly and helpful.
Great swimming pool and good view.
Good breakfast.
Large room, neat and clean.
The surrounding environment is very nice.
Would return to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank catarina b
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We found the rooms clean and comfortable with no problems. The staff were very helpful arranging tours, transport etc. the hotel was quiet and relaxing. The view from the room looked out to a walkway but we didn't mind and ther

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family