“Holiday hillside retreat”

Chanalai Garden Resort
Ranked #11 of 55 Hotels in Kata Beach
Reviewed 22 March 2011

Arrived late afternoon. The reception was extremely helpful and friendly. Thankfully the bell boy took care of the suitcases as the allocated room was all the way at the top. Lots of steps and elevators, pretty confusing at first. If you do not like steps, then this hotel is not for you. Swimming pool area was really good. Two pools available. Breakfast was well laid out with a wide and varied choice. The room was large and had a very good view over the bay of Kata from the balcony. Had tea making facilities and a small fridge. The airconditioning worked well and the private toilet and shower was good. The hotel was only a short walk from the center of the local town with lots of various restaurants and bars. A good place for families and couples, but not for handicapped or people with walking difficulties, due to all the steps.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
muek, Manager at Chanalai Garden Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2011

Thank you very much for your review. We are delighted to learn that you had pleasant stay with us.
We wish to have you back if the opportunities amy arise in the future.

Jimmy R/Customer Relation Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,202)

Reviewed 22 March 2011

I read many good reviews about this resort and my partner and I decided to book this. The location to the beach is excellent, but there was just one problem. The hotel had ran out of superior rooms, as they have a level which was facing some water issues. The manager decided to allocate us to another hotel, which she call an "upgrade". Please bear in mind that when they say "upgrade" it is NOT. They are just making it sound nice, I believe the manager had a better room in the resort which she wasn't willing to move me to and yet they had tried to make me stay in a hotel 2 km away, in a fairly shabby area and they call this and "upgrade".

This hotel is 3 stars giving you at 1 star service, so just bear in mind that you pay for what you get, as the manager will constantly remind you that if you try to negotiate anything further. Disappointing.

The manager did try to give us some free breakfast and dinners, but I can tell you that they all TASTE horrible. So the lesson I learn here is never come to Tropical Garden Resort again, they might move you to a different resort, and also if you are just trying to save some money please dont, it is definitely worth spending that money on a 5 star hotel!

Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank travel_kuan

We have learnt your review with disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Please note that we were facing the "Water problem' when you arrived so we had you up graded to another property.We try the best to make your stay as comfortable as it could be.
We apologised for any inconveniences that it had caused to you. Besides, we have notified your comment of untasted breakfast to the Chief for further improvement.

Jimmy

Reviewed 26 February 2011

We stayed here for two nights and if we hadn't have been moving on to Phi Phi we would have stayed longer.

The hotel is lovely. Great view of kata beach from the pool which was clean and nice. Plenty of loungers. Hotel was mosquito free which was unlike other places we stayed in in Phuket. The room was a good size,nice balcony and very clean.free water in the room everyday and friendly staff. Quite a few kids in the hotel but kata is a lot more family friendly when compared to other places. Down the road from the hotel are loads of restaurants and shops. Beach is literally a two minute walk away and is beautiful. From the hotel u have a perfect view of the beach and of the big budda on the hill side.

Would definitely stay here again-we stayed in karon too which is just down the road an in my opinion not very nice.

• Stayed: February 2011
muek, Manager at Chanalai Garden Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2011

Thank you very much for your beautiful reviews. I am glad to learn that you enjoy your stay with us and wish to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 21 February 2011

Stayed here recently; intially had a room near the road and it wasn't good at all. The bathroom leaks water when you have a shower, and the noise isn't condusive to sleep. I notified the reception staff of the issues and it took 2 complaints before our rooms were upgraded to Ocean View. While there are a lot of stairs - the view is amazing and the excercise is good. The facilities are clean and comfortable.

I have to mention Mon who operates their tours for the hotel. She is an absolute standout when it comes to customer service and interactions with hotel guests. She went out of her way to accomodate our requests and is an absolute asset to the hotel. She was the friendliest person we met in Thailand (and if I had stayed longer I would have only used her as my tour operator) . She greets the guests walking past (whether you're a client or not) smiles, gets to know you and is very genuine in her willingness to help (not just about tours, but where to shop, products etc) I asked the reception if they could recommend somewhere for shopping/tailor - but got no recommendations. Dissapointing. The reception staff could learn a lot from Mon.

Otherwise - housekeeping, and the bell boys were all very accomodating and helpful. The hotel is very close to the beach, and I have to say in comparison to Karon & Phuket, Kata Beach is lovely! The hotel is located right near shops and convenient. We didn't get harassed by tailors etc, which was lovely. Great selection of restaurants to eat from as well. Really well situated overall.

Overall our stay was good, but the biggest let down was the room and leaking bathrooms. I have to commend the Manager though - who took the issue on board and offered us an upgrade. Had that not happen - we would have changed hotels.

Thank you for the stay and hope to come back to Kata Beach in the near future.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family

Thank you very much for review. We hope to welcome you back if the chance may arise.

Reviewed 6 February 2011

Boyfriend and I stayed here for five nights 21st Jan to 26th Jan 2011. We really liked the hotel! Rooms were clean, the air con was amazing in the heat and the view of kata beach--- fantastic!! The staff were friendly, breakfast was great ( loved the eggs being cooked right in front of you). Whoever said this place is far from kata beach is kidding themselves. It was about a 1.5 minute walk from reception. Just a tip, go through the walkway besides Oasis restaurant so you don't get hassled in to buying a suit by the tailors in the alley leading the beach.

I loved how the gardens were so well maintained, it was really nice to be surrounded by greenery. The bellmen, barmen and house keepers were lovely and happy, were always friendly and dancing to music and enjoying themselves which was great to see. The tourist agent was helpful and the taxi rank was always bustling and ready to take you wherever you liked for a good price.

The only downer was that the bed was really hard! But that's a personal preference I guess. Also if you don't like stairs, this hotel might not be your friend. As a lot of other reviewers have said, it's on a hill and there are pleanty of stairs. I loved it, was a great work out and after a while it doesn't bother you anymore. There are lifts at every level though for those who are unable to or don't like to use stairs.

I'll stay here again definitely. Great 3 star hotel in a fantastic location.

• Stayed: January 2011
muek, Manager at Chanalai Garden Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2011

Thank you very much for your lovely feed back. We are very happy to learn that you had great time with us. We hope to welcome yopu back in the near future if chance may arise.

Reviewed 26 December 2010

My partner and I intended a short getaway and decided on Tropical Garden Resort because of it's close proximity to the beach. Overall, my stay was pleasant, but the hotel staff seem to lack in basic service etiquette.

Our phone went dead so we decided to make a quick check with the reception of the timing difference between phuket and where were originally came from. No one made the least effort to do a quick Google search of the timing difference. All they said was " I don't know. I don't know." Which was quite frustrating for us being our first day. So i asked for an adapter for our incompatible electronic products. The reception had adapters (they showed us), but god knows why maybe she had an iPhone to charge too, she just refused to let us borrow them and told us to ask Housekeeping instead. Alright, we let that slip.

Into our fourth day, my partner fell horribly ill with food poisoning. I went to reception at night, explained the situation and asked for help or of some sort. They directed me everywhere far outside the resort like the pharmacy to get some medicine but everything was closed. It was also miraculously began raining with lightning and storms (like some dramatic scenario) and the best part was when I asked for an umbrella so I can find somewhere for medicine/help, the receptionist said, no, go back to your room to get the umbrella we provided you.

Well, you see, to get to my room, I had to walk up, take the lift to the 4th floor, walk through the narrow passage way by the swimming pool, walk up the stairs, take the lift to the 3rd floor, walk up the stairs, walk through some connecting passage to the other building, walk up the stairs, take yet another lift to the level where I stayed in. 3 lifts to take. All these, while walking in the rain. Alright. They just can't leave their book of rules and my partner didn't die, so I let it slip again, though dissatisfied.

A few hours before we had to check out and kill hours before our flight, we decided to surf the web at their computer room at 200 baht for 100 minutes or something like that. Immediately after we purchased them, we went to the computer room and it was fully taken up by other human beings. So, we went back to reception and kindly asked if we could have that refund since it was taken up and it didn't make sense to have those computers at a much later time because we had to leave for the airport in another 3 hours. Being a fresh transaction and in light of the circumstances, we asked for a quick refund. But nooo. She told her, she told her, she told her, they gossiped in thai and finally she slammed the money on the counter and rolled her eyes at me even though I was apologizing and then she stormed away. I was dumb-folded.

In general, every time we went to reception, they seem unapproachable and as always, "i don't know. I don't know." The receptionist displayed such lack of knowledge of phuket and are clueless to anything outside their little resort. In the event of an emergency, they seem completely incapable to lend assistance.

I must commend the other staffs though, like housekeeping, bell boys and the swimming pool bar staffs. They are always friendly and smiley. I mean the least any staff in any resort could do, is just to smile?

There was a pool table, but it was placed against the right-angled corner of the room (again, god knows why). The swimming pool didn't look as fantastic as the ones in the hotel gallery but the room where we stayed at was good (with balcony sea-view). The water-heater was surprisingly consistent in temperature!

Had one black out incident during my week long stay there. They managed to get it back up after about 20 -30 minutes.

There really wasn't much to do at the resort so we spent most of our time at the beach, I can't comment much on their facilities but with service like that, well, I'd rather not know.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheGuruYouSay
muek, Manager at Chanalai Garden Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2011

We do apologise for the inconvenience which caused to you. After hearing from you, we have soon taken action to rectify the problem. as you cited that some of our associates are not professional. We have them more trained now. We do appreciate your reviews so that we can improve our service. We wish you be back to stay with us again if the chance may arise to experience' the difference'.

Reviewed 7 December 2010

I have been to Thailand and Phuket many times and stayed on various beaches and at different levels of hotels from Mariott to Club Med to Kata Beach Resort to Ramada. We decided to stay at TGR because my Mother-in-Law, who has never been to Phuket, was really worried about Tsunamis (she worried about my luck because I was there for the last one). Anyway I booked the hotel online and made the request of a twin and double bed adjoining because I have young kids. I also asked for a Superior Sea View. It's vacation people, a few extra bucks won't kill you. Also booked with the breakfast even though many reviews under-rated it or said not to. Before I start the line by line review I would also like to state I work for one of the largest Hotel, Casino, Resorts in the World so I know a few things about hotels. The beach view was FANTASTIC!!!

1. As a three star hotel i was overly impressed that the front desk staff walked us to the room. It was a trek up the stairs but my wife says I needed the exercise. They made sure everything was ok and explained the lighting, the in-house TV movie, the safe, the towel policy (beach towels included and changed daily, wow), the breakfast card, and pool policy...and turned to walk away not expecting a tip. She's never been to Vegas obviously.

2. The bags beat me to the room. The bellman were waiting on us to show which bags went to which room. Never before in my life has that happened!

3. Since the front desk showed us the safe in one room we didn't let her do the same presentation in our room. When I went to the safe if was off. Not investigating to thoroughly I called the "0" to see about sending back the agent. Instead, the operator asked me to check for reset switch on the door-side (which was off). Guest service maintenance is something we can't even get fully implemented at my hotels and they are able to make it work here. Amazing.

4. A couple of times the in-room movie loop was in Thai language. I called the "0" and asked for English. ( I do know this is available). They changed it in 30 seconds. For guests who don't know the option is available it could be bad. They should check this more on there own but good job to the Guest service for the quick fix.

5. Bath rooms were adequate and clean. Not "five star nice" but a good try. Hot water within 5 to 10 seconds. Unbelievable for a hotel on a hill. Also noticed their attempt to reduce guest's slippage. The original tile floors were gloss and when wet probably were a nightmare. The removed the top coat and made the tiles matt finished. Great cost savings approach that most people wouldn't notice.

6. Maid service friendly, quick, and efficient. Our's was named "One-day" (we thought) but was actually Wandee, the other girl i am sorry to say i couldn't even begin to pronouce it, sorry. They clean between 15 and 20 rooms a day. UNBELIEVABLE. Not only do they do a great job at cleaning they also do a maintenance room check. Again something we can't hardly get our room attendants to do. They checked the lights, curtains, TV, telephone, cups, minibar, and asked if we needed anything. I asked for an additional pillow and had it very quickly. (I am asking our HR if we can recruit them!).

7. The breakfast restaraunt was nice but the service line could have used a little more attention. The made to order eggs were great.

8. The downstairs restaraunt was nice. They just started a Russian food menu. (not just printed in Russian, but Russian food). My wife is Russian and really enjoyed the food. A few items were not available but we found out the items are prepared fresh by an employee that is Russian daily but she doesn't work the kitchen, it is only completed by the chef and served. It was very delicious and fresh...and surprising.

9. The nightly dinner specials were nice. We had the seafood and steak nights. Very reasonably priced and nice.

10 Nightly entertainment is a good touch. One man band with a few pitch and key problems but he gets the job done. A set change of song order would be nice since we were there 6 days to the same music.

11. Location was great. Some people say the beach is too far. I don't see how. Cross the narrow road and down a 70ft path and you are standing on Kata beach. There are only 3 hotels closer than that on Kata and they cost about 5 to 15 time more.

12. I don't recommend the in hotel tour agent. Adequate but across the street is a better one and they also rent motorbikes. NOTE: The elephant safari they book is not the one on the road from the airport. The one they book is MUCH BETTER and CHEAPER. Safari B for 1000 baut. Just the elephant ride at the other one is 950 baut minimum.

13. Check out was quick and easy. The mini bar candy and drinks were reasonable for a minibar price. Love the sticker idea to keep people from swapping out the items. Not only good for business on your part but I felt comfortable they were not tampered with. I do think on the mini bar itself the "sticker" policy should be posted. I understood it, but I am sure you have some guests who don't.

14. There are NO hookers close to this hotel. I am not complaining! Just thinking this might be a reason some complain about the location to the bars. Don't go to Kata for this type of nightlife. Patong is your home.

15. Internet was reasonable. Worked well in-room even with an iPad. Computer room is nice. (don't get the pool table though).

16. MY ONLY COMPLAINT. No frozen margaritas on the bar. They did go get one from the pool bar for me but it was a VIRGIN! Who needs a virgin? Buy a blender for the bar. The Mai Tai in the pinapple was really cool though...virgin also!

17. Hotel taxi service to the airport was great. Yes you can get it cheaper by booking somewhere else but not worth the 300 baut risk of them not showing. Tuk Tuk prices are about 100 to the Kata Plaza, 150 to Hooker bars, 200 to Dino Park, 300 to Karon, and a little more to Patong...but when you get there who cares!!

18. Didn't use the Spa. Looked nice but too many 250baut deals on the street and 350baut at the beach.

Ok, enough. Kudos to the GM and the GSM. For Thailand I think you are doing a wonderful job and highly recommend your hotel to everyone. Guests just need to remember it is Thailand and not the Maldives and you will have a great time.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank doctorcatron
muek, Manager at Chanalai Garden Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2010

Thank you very much for your review. We all are pleased to learn that you had nice stay with us.
Your compliments will encourage us to work harder and harder to serve a better service.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back again in the future that the chance may arise.

Jimmy

#12 of 55 in Kata Beach
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 331 in Patong

Been to Chanalai Garden Resort? Share your experiences!