“Good value and position”

Chanalai Garden Resort
Ranked #12 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Reviewed 28 November 2008

My family stayed four nights at the Tropical Garden Resort at Kata Beach, Phuket in October 2008. The complex is only a couple of minutes walk from Kata Beach or you can swim in one of two good sized pools at the hotel. We stayed on the very top floor which had a magnificent view of the beach. It did take us two elevators, a ramp, three flights of stairs and a bit of walk to get to our room but by this stage of the holiday I could do with the exercise. One of the elevators continually broke down which made it a bit of a hike to get to reception or down to breakfast. The room was clean, had a balcony and was reasonably priced for Phuket. The room was 3-star and more than adequate for our needs as we tend to spend little time in our room whilst on holidays. I would recommend it for families, people travelling on a budget. or couples. The hotel has an internet room with two pc's and was cheapish. Breakfast was good however do not leave food on your table unattended as the local birds tend to help themselves to it.
Beware Travellers: Many 5-star hotels (Evasson) in Phuket DO NOT include breakfast in their excessive room rates.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank MelbournePanda

Reviewed 18 November 2008

I spent my honeymoon end of last year at this hotel.

I would say this is an OK place. There are heaps of staircase, but you can always get the hotel staff to bring your luggage up and down. Rooms were spacious, and mine had a pool view.

It is really within walking distance to the beach (you have to cross a busy road to get to the beach anyway). But the beach was great!

If you're driving, parking may seem to be a problem. The hotel is really within walking distance to restaurants, 7-11, money changers, and night markets. The place is less crowded than Patong beach area, for sure.

There were no free wifi or internet access. Breakfast was OK too - not much choices, AC worked fine, the hotel provided 2 bottles of mineral water everyday. Pool towels were provided as well.

The receptionist had problems understanding English. We booked island hopping tour through the agent in this hotel as well - it was located somewhere next to the hotel lift. The lady understood English well and she was able to suggest some pretty good places and even gave us discounts. If you're too tired to "hunt" for island tour packages, try the one from the hotel, I enjoyed the tour so much!

It was really an OK hotel, nothing too fancy about it. Sure enough not for those who does not like to climb stairs. There are lifts available to certain floors.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank babblesbubbles
Reviewed 16 November 2008

The Hotel looks very nice from the outside, it is completely embedded into a tropical garden as the name of the hotel suggests.

Price: I ordered my room through latestays.com and got it at a a quite cheap rate of 1400Baht without Breakfast. Maybe that is the reason my room was not so nice.

Positive:
The exterior is very well kept and makes this resort look really posh. Also the hotel rooms offer various amenities such as Minibar, TV and Safe. Also the spacious balcony that offers a great view over the garden and the ocean is a great plus. During checkin the staff was helpful and my luggage was transported into my room without any complaints. There are 2 pools that seem to be kept quite clean and offer a great view over the beach of Kata. The hotel is also very close to the beach and it is quite silent and peaceful inside.

Negative:
However once inside the room this picture changes completely. The overall room interior is simple and at least 20 years old and the bathroom is just very old and run down. When showering the whole bathroom will be flooded. Also the beds are a bit tricky, when ordering a double bed you will get two single beds that are put together, but beware once you sleep in the gap! You will wake up on the floor. There are lots of stairs in the hotel and you can definetely get lost.

As I only booked my room for 2 nights in the beginning I decided to stay a little bit longer as I was too lazy to switch hotels. I had to sign a BLANK credit card bill form as security. That was the first time ever I had to do that. Also on checkout I had to ask twice to get get that form handed out and destroyed. A friend of mine from Bangkok visited me a couple of days and I had to pay an extra 500Baht every night. No explanation for this behaviour was given. Generally I did not find the people at the reception very friendly, in some cases they were even rude to me. When there are 6 people at the reception talking and the customers have to wait it speaks for itself. When checking out I had to carry my luggage downstairs myself.

Conclusion: While the price was ok and the location as well as the gardens are nice (if you like Kata Beach with its annoying all inclusive tourists) I will not stay at this hotel again and also do not recommend it: Unfriendly staff, strange payment behaviour, old rooms, rundown bathrooms.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank palerider98
Reviewed 13 August 2008

It was nice overall, but cleaning staff stole 20 euro from the desk in our room. Much closer to the beach than i expected, maybe 30 second walk. Huge waves this time of the year though (end of july). Pool is shallow, maybe 1,5m deep max.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ayazee
Reviewed 11 June 2008

After the Kata Palm hotel got booked up whilst we were getting organised we ended up booking in here and we were a little worried.

I had decided to e-mail the hotel and request that we be given a room without too many steps and when we arrived we had a room on the 1st floor, only one flight of steps away or a lift if we were feeling very lazy.

Check in was smooth and our bags arrived in our room in no time.

I found the staff to be very friendly, they were mostly quite young but all really appreciated a smile and very helpful.

The room was quite basic but we had only paid about £40 a night for it. It was clean and had everything we could ask for though!!

They had upgraded us to a sea view even though we had not paid for it which was very nice, it was lovely to sit on the balcony and see the sea.

Breakfast was good, lots of choice including some bizzarre ones, I had beef stew one morning but it started early and finished late, great for both the days that you were on tours and lazy days.

The location was fab, you walk down some steps and you are at the end of the beach with the Ska Bar. This has to have the best atmosphere and cocktails ever.

All in all we loved it, a lovely lady at the hotel booked our trips for us and we used the internet cafe which was good value.

The snack bars next to the pools were great and the pools had swim up bars and happy hours. We used to get buy one get one free mai tai's. They would hollow out a pineapple to put the drink in then give us the fruit to scoff!! Yum.

I would truly recommend this hotel to anyone, if you have problems with steps ask for a lower room!!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mitch84
Reviewed 18 May 2008

Spent ten fabulous days at this hotel in October 07. (a bit late with review - sorry). I booked this hotel and airfare thru the Jetstar website with the return flights out of Sydney and knew very little about the Hotel or Phuket before booking. I did check the reviews on trip advisor of about 5 camparable Hotels and took a risk on the "Tropical Garden". Yes.........there are many steps to the best rooms with the views but they are worth every huff and puff to get there. The lifts do take away a bit of the pain! Our view was fantastic and really made our holiday that extra bit special - to wake every morning and be greeted every day when returning to the room withTHAT view was awesome.
The room included buffet breakfast which was very extensive and included an "egg corner" which included eggs freshly cooked to order. Fresh juices, cereals, hot food and salads were all there to please any taste. We found the staff friendly and had a chance to practice our minimal knowledge of Thai on them which was always greeted with a reply, bow and a smile.

We loved staying at Kata and had most meals within walking distance of the Hotel - a highlight was a meal at nearby Gung restaurant - complete with a long stemmed red rose given to all the female guests. We regularly used the internet cafe attached to the Hotel and also the one across the road at the coffee/cake/internet cafe.

The pool with swim up bar was great and always a free lounger on hand - had a few lunches by the pool too.

I had a few massages on the outdoor Mali Spa deck and felt fabulous after...........I felt more comfortable doing this than trying out the street massage places for a few baht more.

The beach is close by as are many shops, tailors (of course) and restaurants. We walked into Karon beach and caught the local bus or a tuk tuk into Patong a few times too but were glad we were based in Kata.

I would strongly recommend this Hotel to anyone interested in a reasonably priced three star hotel.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Debrob
Reviewed 15 May 2008

Me and my boyfriend just came back from 2 weeks holyday at Tropical garden. This is a great resort, but a lot of stairs. After a few days we got used to it, and everything was OK. Our room was big and clean, and had a fantastic view over the beach. The poolarea was also very nice. Breakfast was more than OK. The staf on the resort were kind and helpfull. Jasmine restaurant just cross the street serves great food. The restaurant at the resort is also Ok. The beach is only meters away, and some of the guys renting out sunbeds are very serviceminded. Go for the beds from TUK. It is next to the boathouse area, very close to the restaurants and toilets.
But back to the resort. We left the resort very early in the morning, and they had made breakfastboxes for us. I have never experienced that before. If we can get a good deal at tropical garden, we would like to stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2008
#27 of 56 in Kata Beach
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 329 in Patong

Been to Chanalai Garden Resort? Share your experiences!