“Hotel Staff Service can be improved”

Chanalai Garden Resort
Ranked #9 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Reviewed 27 December 2008

Hotel reception staff gave us 5 rooms on the 5th floor and 1 on the 4th, with indication that she will change all to the same level when available. When asked the next day, she just claimed that no rooms were avail. I told her that the guests were checking out of the other rooms, and that was when she told me that hotel rooms were reserved for frequent guests who were arriving that day. This showed that she was not very truthful in the first place when she offered to change rooms for me since she knew that rooms were booked by the frequent guests already. In the course of talking to me, she and her colleagues were laughing and chatting amongst themselves in Thai. There was simply no customer service extended and the warmth of Thai people was simply not felt in this hotel.
Another incident which showed that hotel had incompetent staff was when I was asked to show my receipt some time after checking out of 4 of the 6 rooms. Though the counter staff tried to cover up, it was obvious that she could not recall and had no evidence that I had already paid up. I don't want to imagine what would ensue if I had thrown away my receipt! Late check-out (till 5 pm) of the other 2 rooms was not free despite all the hassle.
BTW, We paid for seaview rooms - 6 rooms in all - only 2 rooms had open view of the sea, the others had partial views (blocked by 2 tall trees). And we saw a snake in the trees along the hillside outside our rooms. Luckily, it was the final morning.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,297)

Reviewed 10 December 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 20 nights during the end of November. I got a great deal online from hostels.com (cheaper than ANY price I saw on the internet after avidly watching). We paid approx $70 a night including brekkie.

The great:
-Free large bottle of water in room daily

-VERY reasonable mini bar prices (although 7-11 is always your best bet to stock your fridge)

-Room service prices are awesome and have great food. We loved the Homemade Hawaiian Pizza on those nights that we shopped too much ;)

-Nice spacious pool areas. Not busy at all considering we were there in high season. Always a pool chair. Pool bar a bit pricy and cocktails were not that good for the price.

-We had one of the 'two single beds made into a double' but my bf and I actually found we liked this! There were 2 separate doonas and beds were fine/clean. Please note that this is the way Thailand is. We stayed at a 5 star resort on this trip as well and their beds were WORSE and were STILL two singles pushed together.

-Great seaview room. Lovely balcony with comfy deck chairs which we enjoyed a Chang or two on in the afternoon.

-Maids kept the place very tidy and were always happy to say hello. Nothing was stolen or missing.

The negatives:
-TOO MANY STAIRS! We are a young couple in our twenties and even for us (as we had a room at the top) it was such a walk. The elevator helps a bit but seriously if you have had anything to drink or have been walking around all day you DO NOT want to leave your room once you make it up there. This annoyed me as I liked to go out for dinner later at night but we stayed in about 4 nights simply because we did not feel like walking up the steps if we had been drinking. It is just too humid. We found if you stopped at the pool for a swim halfway it was better ;)

-Breakfast was ok. Would not purchase it if it was not included as you can get eggs and bacon/fruit/toast for cheaper than the hotel would charge you in Kata. We did enjoy the omelletes but it is all the same every day so it is a downfall if you stay more than a week.

-To get into Kata you had to walk down a very busy winding road and I would NEVER take my pram down there. Nor would I let my children walk along that road. I almost got taken out numerous times as there is no sidewalk to the main part of Kata. All roads in Thailand are dangerous but this was the worst we seen on our trip. It is a better idea to walk down the beach and cut through to the main center.

-The reception tried to charge me for two blue pool towels that were NEVER placed in our room from Day 1. I thought we had to ask for reception to get one but we had our own so we never bothered. Anyways it was a long ordeal and made check-out take forever.

Overall it was a great location. Good restaurants in the area and most importantly it is very close to the beach. You just cross the road and you are there which I loved. I go to Thailand for the beaches not the pools. I would not pay more than $100 AU a night there. I would probably stay in Patong or Karon my next trip but did enjoy Kata :) Sorry for the length!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank canadianbakpak
Reviewed 28 November 2008

My family stayed four nights at the Tropical Garden Resort at Kata Beach, Phuket in October 2008. The complex is only a couple of minutes walk from Kata Beach or you can swim in one of two good sized pools at the hotel. We stayed on the very top floor which had a magnificent view of the beach. It did take us two elevators, a ramp, three flights of stairs and a bit of walk to get to our room but by this stage of the holiday I could do with the exercise. One of the elevators continually broke down which made it a bit of a hike to get to reception or down to breakfast. The room was clean, had a balcony and was reasonably priced for Phuket. The room was 3-star and more than adequate for our needs as we tend to spend little time in our room whilst on holidays. I would recommend it for families, people travelling on a budget. or couples. The hotel has an internet room with two pc's and was cheapish. Breakfast was good however do not leave food on your table unattended as the local birds tend to help themselves to it.
Beware Travellers: Many 5-star hotels (Evasson) in Phuket DO NOT include breakfast in their excessive room rates.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank MelbournePanda
Reviewed 18 November 2008

I spent my honeymoon end of last year at this hotel.

I would say this is an OK place. There are heaps of staircase, but you can always get the hotel staff to bring your luggage up and down. Rooms were spacious, and mine had a pool view.

It is really within walking distance to the beach (you have to cross a busy road to get to the beach anyway). But the beach was great!

If you're driving, parking may seem to be a problem. The hotel is really within walking distance to restaurants, 7-11, money changers, and night markets. The place is less crowded than Patong beach area, for sure.

There were no free wifi or internet access. Breakfast was OK too - not much choices, AC worked fine, the hotel provided 2 bottles of mineral water everyday. Pool towels were provided as well.

The receptionist had problems understanding English. We booked island hopping tour through the agent in this hotel as well - it was located somewhere next to the hotel lift. The lady understood English well and she was able to suggest some pretty good places and even gave us discounts. If you're too tired to "hunt" for island tour packages, try the one from the hotel, I enjoyed the tour so much!

It was really an OK hotel, nothing too fancy about it. Sure enough not for those who does not like to climb stairs. There are lifts available to certain floors.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank babblesbubbles
Reviewed 16 November 2008

The Hotel looks very nice from the outside, it is completely embedded into a tropical garden as the name of the hotel suggests.

Price: I ordered my room through latestays.com and got it at a a quite cheap rate of 1400Baht without Breakfast. Maybe that is the reason my room was not so nice.

Positive:
The exterior is very well kept and makes this resort look really posh. Also the hotel rooms offer various amenities such as Minibar, TV and Safe. Also the spacious balcony that offers a great view over the garden and the ocean is a great plus. During checkin the staff was helpful and my luggage was transported into my room without any complaints. There are 2 pools that seem to be kept quite clean and offer a great view over the beach of Kata. The hotel is also very close to the beach and it is quite silent and peaceful inside.

Negative:
However once inside the room this picture changes completely. The overall room interior is simple and at least 20 years old and the bathroom is just very old and run down. When showering the whole bathroom will be flooded. Also the beds are a bit tricky, when ordering a double bed you will get two single beds that are put together, but beware once you sleep in the gap! You will wake up on the floor. There are lots of stairs in the hotel and you can definetely get lost.

As I only booked my room for 2 nights in the beginning I decided to stay a little bit longer as I was too lazy to switch hotels. I had to sign a BLANK credit card bill form as security. That was the first time ever I had to do that. Also on checkout I had to ask twice to get get that form handed out and destroyed. A friend of mine from Bangkok visited me a couple of days and I had to pay an extra 500Baht every night. No explanation for this behaviour was given. Generally I did not find the people at the reception very friendly, in some cases they were even rude to me. When there are 6 people at the reception talking and the customers have to wait it speaks for itself. When checking out I had to carry my luggage downstairs myself.

Conclusion: While the price was ok and the location as well as the gardens are nice (if you like Kata Beach with its annoying all inclusive tourists) I will not stay at this hotel again and also do not recommend it: Unfriendly staff, strange payment behaviour, old rooms, rundown bathrooms.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank palerider98
Reviewed 13 August 2008

It was nice overall, but cleaning staff stole 20 euro from the desk in our room. Much closer to the beach than i expected, maybe 30 second walk. Huge waves this time of the year though (end of july). Pool is shallow, maybe 1,5m deep max.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ayazee
Reviewed 11 June 2008

After the Kata Palm hotel got booked up whilst we were getting organised we ended up booking in here and we were a little worried.

I had decided to e-mail the hotel and request that we be given a room without too many steps and when we arrived we had a room on the 1st floor, only one flight of steps away or a lift if we were feeling very lazy.

Check in was smooth and our bags arrived in our room in no time.

I found the staff to be very friendly, they were mostly quite young but all really appreciated a smile and very helpful.

The room was quite basic but we had only paid about £40 a night for it. It was clean and had everything we could ask for though!!

They had upgraded us to a sea view even though we had not paid for it which was very nice, it was lovely to sit on the balcony and see the sea.

Breakfast was good, lots of choice including some bizzarre ones, I had beef stew one morning but it started early and finished late, great for both the days that you were on tours and lazy days.

The location was fab, you walk down some steps and you are at the end of the beach with the Ska Bar. This has to have the best atmosphere and cocktails ever.

All in all we loved it, a lovely lady at the hotel booked our trips for us and we used the internet cafe which was good value.

The snack bars next to the pools were great and the pools had swim up bars and happy hours. We used to get buy one get one free mai tai's. They would hollow out a pineapple to put the drink in then give us the fruit to scoff!! Yum.

I would truly recommend this hotel to anyone, if you have problems with steps ask for a lower room!!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple