“excellent value for money”

Chanalai Garden Resort
Ranked #12 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
australia
“excellent value for money”
Reviewed 13 April 2009

i stayed at this hotel for one night in april and paid 900 baht from booking.com. first up the place looks nice and the desk staff were very pleasant and helpful. i requested a ground floor room and recieved it. the room was clean and spacious and quiet and had a balcony overlooking the main street.
the pool area is nice and has a swim up pool bar. a breakfast buffet was included in our room price and included all the usual western fare of top quality.
the resort is built on the side of a steep hill and many rooms are up high with great views. there are elevators in the complex but you may have to climb steps to some rooms and i overheard others in the lobby complaining about the amount of steps to climb so consider this when booking. it's about a 5 minute walk to the restaurant strip and a couple more to the beach.
overall i rate this highly (especially the price!) and don't believe it deserves the poor reviews here. i would use this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank mrplow37

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Ko Samui, Thailand
Reviewed 3 February 2009

This hotel just doesnt care. Half eaten food left in open corridor to rooms, clearly being left for room service to collect but was there for 6 hours in 30 degree heat and the local cats were licking off the the plates.
Dirty linen stacked beside my room along with sackful of empty beer cans and water botteles.
Bed base 3 foot wider than the mattress, blood spots on the wall,
Totally disgusting. No duty manager to complain to either that evening or the next morning when I left.
I would urge you to avoid this hotel especially if youhave young children as the hygiene is very suspect and they really DONT CARE.
I left the number of myThai mobile phone to see wether the management would contact me and discuss any points arising butyou have guessed it NOTHING.
I was courteous when filling out my complaint form but I think they are so used to receiving them they most likely bin them

2 Thank Jonathan N
england
Reviewed 30 January 2009

My biggest memory of this hotel, are the stairs, there seemed to be more every day to get back to my room. Anyone who has stayed there will relate to this problem. I was in the second block, third floor and had to walk up numerous steps, plus use a lift and then more steps. Stayed for two weeks and they did'nt get easier to get up.
As for the hotel, nothing special, the breakfast was basic and if you wanted eggs or an ommlette,you had to que for about ten minutes.
The buy one, get one free cocktail half hour at the pool, appeared a con, as they definently did'nt put the same amount of alcohol in, as they did at normal times.
The staff don't speak very good english and not that helpfull.
However it's close to the beach, just across the road, and you are at the SKA beach bar, where you can chill out to reaggae music day and night and get a good cheap meal.
Overall my room was ok, nothing fancy/special, would i stay there again? only if i was on the first floor, first block, the steps really are killa's especially after a nite out.

• Liked — Close to the beach
  • Disliked — The stairs, if your not in the first block, it's a long hard trek to your room.
  • Stayed January 2009
2 Thank gary12342
kunton09, manager at Chanalai Garden Resort, responded to this review, 20 January 2010
As our resort is on the hillside, many steps cannot be avoided. However we have elevators dotted around.

We would recommend you that next visit,please stay with us again but at Serene Resort our sister hotel.
You will experience' The Difference'

Jimmy R
Customer Relation Manager
Los Angeles
Reviewed 19 January 2009

We booked our stay at Tropical Garden Resort through the recommendations of a travel agent in Bangkok. From the minute that we stepped into the hotel and were greeted by very rude hotel staff, till we left, our experience there was terrible. The room we got had green colored painted walls with shiny red curtains with garish gold mesh sheer curtains over it. The toilet paper had hundreds of tiny insects crawling all over it; when we showed it to the cleaning staff, they just handed us a new roll of toilet paper but didn't do anything else about it. We tried to move to another hotel on our first day but they wouldn't give us our money back and the travel agency was of no help either.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — toilet paper with hundreds of insects crawling all over it and rude staff
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bj81
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 9 January 2009

In December 2007 we stayed at the Tropical Gardens Resort for seven days. It was in an excellent location (Kata Beach), as it was a lot quieter than staying in the Patong area (Patong reminded me of Bangkok, but by the sea). The hotel is a one minute walk from the beach, however if you prefer a quieter beach, then you can go left out the hotel, and walk up the really steep hill, and then down a staircase on the side of the hill, and there is a more secluded beach.

I found the staff at this hotel to be extremely friendly, there was always someone at the front desk no matter what time of the day or night it was. We ate breakfast at the hotel every morning, and this was really good. We did not have an all inclusive deal as we preferred to eat food at the local restaurants. Some of these were very reasonably priced and the food was excellent and most of them. I found the hotel restaurant prices to be quite high, so it made more economical sense to eat out.

The hotel was very clean, and the air conditioner was new, and ran silently. Many people have complained about all the stairs in the hotel, but luckily for us we were on the first floor, so this was not a problem for us.

As its name implies, the Tropical Gardens Resort is set in a tropical garden, and it has really beautiful surroundings.

For international phone calls, it would be cheaper to make them from a payphone, however the costs from the hotel are not as expensive as they are in other countries.

Transport around Phuket is relatively cheap. You can either catch a Taxi, or a Tuk Tuk. Before going on the transport I would recommend ensuring you have a set price up front - and you are able to negotiate these prices too.

I would definately stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — Location, friendly staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank LizaAnn
Singapore
Reviewed 27 December 2008

Hotel reception staff gave us 5 rooms on the 5th floor and 1 on the 4th, with indication that she will change all to the same level when available. When asked the next day, she just claimed that no rooms were avail. I told her that the guests were checking out of the other rooms, and that was when she told me that hotel rooms were reserved for frequent guests who were arriving that day. This showed that she was not very truthful in the first place when she offered to change rooms for me since she knew that rooms were booked by the frequent guests already. In the course of talking to me, she and her colleagues were laughing and chatting amongst themselves in Thai. There was simply no customer service extended and the warmth of Thai people was simply not felt in this hotel.
Another incident which showed that hotel had incompetent staff was when I was asked to show my receipt some time after checking out of 4 of the 6 rooms. Though the counter staff tried to cover up, it was obvious that she could not recall and had no evidence that I had already paid up. I don't want to imagine what would ensue if I had thrown away my receipt! Late check-out (till 5 pm) of the other 2 rooms was not free despite all the hassle.
BTW, We paid for seaview rooms - 6 rooms in all - only 2 rooms had open view of the sea, the others had partial views (blocked by 2 tall trees). And we saw a snake in the trees along the hillside outside our rooms. Luckily, it was the final morning.

• Liked — seaview when not blocked by the trees
  • Disliked — hotel front desk staff
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
canada/australia
Reviewed 10 December 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 20 nights during the end of November. I got a great deal online from hostels.com (cheaper than ANY price I saw on the internet after avidly watching). We paid approx $70 a night including brekkie.

The great:
-Free large bottle of water in room daily

-VERY reasonable mini bar prices (although 7-11 is always your best bet to stock your fridge)

-Room service prices are awesome and have great food. We loved the Homemade Hawaiian Pizza on those nights that we shopped too much ;)

-Nice spacious pool areas. Not busy at all considering we were there in high season. Always a pool chair. Pool bar a bit pricy and cocktails were not that good for the price.

-We had one of the 'two single beds made into a double' but my bf and I actually found we liked this! There were 2 separate doonas and beds were fine/clean. Please note that this is the way Thailand is. We stayed at a 5 star resort on this trip as well and their beds were WORSE and were STILL two singles pushed together.

-Great seaview room. Lovely balcony with comfy deck chairs which we enjoyed a Chang or two on in the afternoon.

-Maids kept the place very tidy and were always happy to say hello. Nothing was stolen or missing.

The negatives:
-TOO MANY STAIRS! We are a young couple in our twenties and even for us (as we had a room at the top) it was such a walk. The elevator helps a bit but seriously if you have had anything to drink or have been walking around all day you DO NOT want to leave your room once you make it up there. This annoyed me as I liked to go out for dinner later at night but we stayed in about 4 nights simply because we did not feel like walking up the steps if we had been drinking. It is just too humid. We found if you stopped at the pool for a swim halfway it was better ;)

-Breakfast was ok. Would not purchase it if it was not included as you can get eggs and bacon/fruit/toast for cheaper than the hotel would charge you in Kata. We did enjoy the omelletes but it is all the same every day so it is a downfall if you stay more than a week.

-To get into Kata you had to walk down a very busy winding road and I would NEVER take my pram down there. Nor would I let my children walk along that road. I almost got taken out numerous times as there is no sidewalk to the main part of Kata. All roads in Thailand are dangerous but this was the worst we seen on our trip. It is a better idea to walk down the beach and cut through to the main center.

-The reception tried to charge me for two blue pool towels that were NEVER placed in our room from Day 1. I thought we had to ask for reception to get one but we had our own so we never bothered. Anyways it was a long ordeal and made check-out take forever.

Overall it was a great location. Good restaurants in the area and most importantly it is very close to the beach. You just cross the road and you are there which I loved. I go to Thailand for the beaches not the pools. I would not pay more than $100 AU a night there. I would probably stay in Patong or Karon my next trip but did enjoy Kata :) Sorry for the length!

• Liked — views off of balcony, location
  • Disliked — stairs up to room
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
#2 of 8 in Karon Beach
Kata Beach Resort and Spa
Kata Beach Resort and Spa
#27 of 56 in Kata Beach

Been to Chanalai Garden Resort? Share your experiences!