“Posh design”
Review of Foto Hotel

Foto Hotel
Ranked #10 of 55 Hotels in Kata Beach
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Nice hotel with posh design. The pool looks gorgeous especially during sunset. Breakfast is with not so many choices, but tasty. The room is big, with a tub at the balcony. Room is very clean. Room is in 5 buildings, and you need to take the hotel buggies to go to the restaurant or the pool. Not an issue for me, I enjoy climbing up stairs, trekking into hotel buildings to arrive at the lobby.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh

Reviewed 20 October 2013

I did my research when choosing a hotel in Kata Beach & I would have to say that Foto exceeded my expectations, particularly for the price.
Situated & built into a steep hill, one thing you will have to consider is that there are a few stairs getting around (only 1 lift directly from the lobby to the rootop pool/restaurant area), but this is small price to pay for such beautiful views of Kata Beach!
The rooms are contemporary, black & white styling, spacious with decent sized balconies - A number of rooms have a tub on the balcony also which is a briliant idea. (Others the tub is inside next the shower). I'd recommend getting a room in the Ocean View Wing to take full advantage of that balcony tub & view.
And the beds are amazing comfortable. I spent a night in the Royal Villa at the Impiana Private Villas in Kata Beach ($2,000AUD a night for a wedding) & the bed at Foto smashed it in comparison!
The rooftop pool area is stunning (particularly at sunset), large sunbeds available & the restaurant/bar is decent. Not 5 star dining, but had absolutely no complaints.

A few small things to be mindful of - the WiFi connection isn't great. It drops out every couple of minutes or so which is annoying as you have to keep re-logging in, but hey, you're only holiday right?
There is also a 3,000Baht (approx. $100AUD) damages bond to pay at check-in which wasn't listed on Expedia when we booked. It's no big deal, you get it back if you don't damage anything.

I read a few people complain about the 'taxi mafia' outside the hotel - honestly, it's no different to any other taxi service around town in Thailand & if they weren't there you'd have to hike the steep hill which is killer. (did it once only!) You negotiate a price as you do anywhere. We even 'adopted' one driver as our kind of 'personal driver' & he was great. Very fair on price, always on time & would wait for us when we did safari trekking or sight seeing visits for no extra cost!

If you are looking for a more private & contemporary place to stay & don't need resort offerings of 10 pools & tennis courts etc ( & lots of kids dive bombing you in the pool) then I would recommend Foto.

Room Tip: Choose an Ocean Hall - Ocean View room with a balcony tub (may have to specifically request this tho...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RenEx88
Reviewed 20 October 2013

This is a great hotel with the modern amenities you require.
Things I wanted to know :
Hair dryer in room
Pool/beach towels provided
Iron & ironing board available from reception but also laundry is very reasonable
Free mini bar in ocean hall = water, coke & yakult.
Plug sockets 2x round pin European
iPod Dock & speaker in room
TV has 2 us channels and Eason sports, we watched a movie a couple of times.
The room is controlled by a central panel for lights and air conditioning.
The hotel position is at the far end of kata overlooking kata noi.
It is up a steep hill but was not too much of a problem we did walk up and down on a number of occasions providing your wearing flat shoes.
The reception staff were extremely helpful especially Nong who also helped us book ferries and transfers.
The airport transfers are same price as anywhere else and in air conditioned cars.
Breakfast is good and you get a choice of 3 different ones each day eg. Western = bacon egg sausage ham
Fried rice = rice with choice of pork chicken shrimp
Dim sum = various dumplings.
Also a choice of coffee's and tea's
Then there is also a buffet which you can help yourself to with fruit, toast , pastries, cooked meats & salads juice so there is something for everyone. Also they serve until 1.00 pm so no early rise required.
The roof top pool has amazing views and sunsets.
We ate a couple of times in the restaurant again a limited choice but the food is good and average price is £5 a dish which is good value but you can get cheaper in local restaurants.
The only area we struggled a little with communication with the restaurant staff if we wanted to deviate a little from the set menu but we got there in the end and the staff would remember next day !
We had a moped for a few days but also used the taxi's both from the hotel and in town and again these are set prices at 200 bht one way to town.
The hotel spa is lovely and we had a facial one day but you can get much cheaper options in town, the is one at the bottom of the hill Rub Tum massage which we went to about 4 times and paid between 300 -500 but depending on treatment.
The gym is small with a few free weights and a couple of machines if you fancy being a little more energetic.
The silhouette party on a Saturday is set out lovely although was quiet on our visit.
Everyday there is happy hour 5-6 with 2 4 1 cocktails 250 bht and beers for 100 bht which is a nice time as the sunsets around 6.30.
Loved this hotel !

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Beth0910
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I stayed here on my holiday with friends, I booked this hotel because many people talking about it. Well, at first I visited the lobby, I love it, it's like all my friends said, we took photo a lots. Then staff brought us down to our room by golf cart, OMG!! this was unexpected!! it's kind of snaky way all the way down. If you afraid of then better to take steps down to your room and of course you also need to use stairs up to the pool, restaurant or back to lobby.

Inside the room was so nice every things good or I can call perfect, I love it. Only 2 things I don't like here; first one, we need to use stairs, I don't mind if one or two floors but it's more than that, I knew hotel also offer pick up service from room to lobby but we don't want to be too intense guest.....well, a second is breakfast...many friends of mind said breakfast here is good in buffet line but I has been served with a la cart set.

However, my wonderful trip was good here though, love the pool is big and clean, stunning sea view, very good hotel designed that why name is Foto Hotel, my room was so perfect, view from the room was nice.....like it!!

Room Tip: I think you better to take deluxe sea view, it's not only good view but you also don't need...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I was told about the Foto Hotel so looked it up online, they were offering a special promotion which I duly snapped up.
When we arrived I was taken aback by the reception, and checking in via ipad was different.
The room was really nice and unique, the bed was unbelievably comfortable, the view was spectacular.
Everything was nice and clean the bathroom was excellent.
We had breakfast in the Tiffin Mama restaurant which was also excellent and very filling.
The pool area is amazing, relaxing and the views are spectacular.

Room Tip: There are 2 types of rooms - Ocean View and Ozone View - The Ocean View rooms are higher and look ov...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank curriedhaggis
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Foto Hotel, has a warmth feel and look about it. The lobby is just very impressed , you must take a foto . The staff was extremely polite and keen to assist and also while i was leaving as early as my flight was 6 a.m.

The room has a comfortable feel to it and the bed was extremely soft and big for two people! the bathroom was really good as well.

Room Tip: Well-prepared your camera, you can't stop taking a foto .
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Sadly I can see other reviewers posting the same thoughts that my husband and I had (and even talked to other guests about while in the lobby or on the shuttle).

Foto is a very sexy hotel: great decor, the views from most rooms and the bar/pool are spectacular and the rooms themselves are very current. However the service is a BIG let down. The reception staff can be rude, the staff in the restaurant/bar spent more time chatting or texting than actually serving customers, and the only staff who bothered to offer a polite hello in passing or in response to my own smile and greeting were the cleaning staff. At one point I entered the Tiffin Mama bar to order drinks where a manager appeared to be reviewing stock. Not only did two staff glance at me and continue their conversation before walking away giggling, the manager glanced at me and when I proceeded to ask for a drink, walked away.....great service!

Price is very reasonable but the location is not great and the shuttle is only offered at 10am, 4pm and 7pm....however is always prompt and will make extra stops if asked.

I really would love to say that I'd stay here again as the decor was very trendy and the hotel from this perspective should be aiming for 5 star...it's got the right look and views, BUT....

The poor service was just too much of a turn off. Won't be back.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
#66 of 387 in Kathu
Chanalai Romantica Resort
Chanalai Romantica Resort
#7 of 55 in Kata Beach

Been to Foto Hotel? Share your experiences!