“Amazing style and view”

Ranked #11 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Bangkok, Thailand
“Amazing style and view”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My friends and I went there for 4 times and everytime we've stay in the hotel. We've just try the restaurant and also roof-top bar. It was fantastic panorama view of Kata beach. How's romantic it is! My friends slept there for 2 nights and we have the same opinion; Thai food must be improve. Every dishes that we tried were disappointed and we don't want to try it again next time. BUT, Maybe next month we will go for relax again, we will try our dinner there and hope it will be fine.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mymint W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Pattaya, Thailand
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I have read numerous reviews of this property before I came and was looking for affordable romantic getaway for myself and partner. What I got was what was advertised. I am in love with this hotel and the staff. I guess it may have helped that I have a thai partner and I can understand a bit of the language. I had a few issues throughout my 13 nights but whenever these occurred they were sorted out efficiently. The restaurant was a little disappointing but the menu is being updated so after a few nights went down into either Kata or Kata Noi. I have travelled a fair bit and whatever overseas country I am in I make it a habit of mixing with the locals. Most complaints are to do with the language. Not everyone in Thailand speaks Russian. Also good idea for people to read comments and visit website before booking. The rooms are amazing. Big spacious beds . Bath and day bed on balcony (Ocean View) We had room 212 . highly recommended. Will be back again for honeymoon in the future

Reviewed 7 November 2013

The hotel itself was great. The view was great as advertised. Small touches like free snacks, drinks, etc in the rooms and in the hotel's public places went some way towards making our stay there feel slightly extra special. The brains behind the hotel also clearly put some effort towards trying to make Foto hotel different from other resorts in the area. Water-proof cameras are available for rental and walls were painted with kitschy quotes from (presumably) famous photographers. However, where Foto hotel fails is in its delivery. Service still leaves much to be desired. I've been to phuket an average of twice a year in the past three years and I dare say the standard of English spoken at the hotel is worse than any of the other resorts I've stayed at to the extent that staff are not able to effectively communicate with guests. As a case in point, the waitress who served us dinner our first night at the hotel was unable to convey that the Happy Hour promotion on drinks was not valid for that night. Despite us checking at least three times with her that the promotion was valid and getting what we thought was an affirmative, we found out during payment that this was not the case. The hotel also experienced frequent power shortages during our stay there- we went without power for at least 30mins one night. Very few channels were available on their TVs. The Russian language channel in particular was unavailable through out my stay. No DVD players are provided. Guests are given the option of renting movies from them, but this is both pricey (I think it was SGD 12 per movie) and the selection limited. Another instance where one of the hotel's innovative concepts was let down by its delivery was its food service. Room service at Foto hotel can be ordered electronically, through the TV in the room which acts as a sort of web browser. No need to shift through thick hotel guest books to locate the menu, its all on the tv, with pictures included. However, we were unable to cart out our selection despite numerous attempts, leaving us no choice but to venture out in the rain to the restaurant for dinner. Did I also mention that not all walk ways in the hotel are sheltered? pffftttt....

Room Tip: get the jacuzzi rooms
1 Thank theletterjay
Perth
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My husband and I had waited over a year to be able to escape the daily grind and get away for a relaxing holiday. We chose Phuket, Thailand due to the good deals available from Australia and impressions from many that it was "much better than Bali." We had never been to either country so thought it looked like an adventure.

We arrived at 10pm after horrendous airport harassment (we eventually found and used the airport metered taxi company) and super scary one hour drive in the dark and pouring rain and were greeted at Foto Hotel with two staff who helped take all our bags to our room. We were exhausted and the over sized bed was very well received.
Day 2 involved a very scary encounter with a supposed "taxi" at the lobby entrance which had no registration, the driver appeared high, was on his cell phone, couldn't produce a licence and was trying to usher us quickly in to his dodgy vehicle - needless to say I did not oblige and went straight back in to the hotel.
Apart from venturing out a few times over our stay (on foot!) we found Foto Hotel to be our oasis and had it not been for the clean, friendly and well equipped environment I would have booked tickets out of Phuket on Day 2!
The pool was fantastic, cocktails were great (two happy hours per day!!) and the food was yummy. They did have quite a limited menu so we eventually tried the restaurant further up the hill (walking distance) which had a larger variety and good service.

Yes the hotel is up a hill but my husband and I walked it both up and down in 85% humidity and 35 degrees - it was a challenge but we saw it as a good short exercise stint whilst holidaying!

The day spa is amazing and very reasonable. I wish I had used it more!

TV channels were limited but you could purchase movies if you wanted. We were surprised to find one of the channels played the All Blacks match - very impressive ;-)

Everything was kept exceptionally clean. It was sporadic as to what time your room gets made up but this did not bother us - it was always done each day and we were never interrupted for it to be completed. The only small thing I didnt like was sometimes room service plates left outside the rooms were not cleared in a timely manner - however we never saw any vermon etc.

Also if you arrive before check in time or have a long wait before your flight home (like we did) the staff are very accommodating. They have a room to lock up your luggage and a "Process Room" that has water, snacks and magazines to occupy you. We were also welcome to continue to use the pool or any other of the hotel facilities (including showers) until it was time to leave!

I cant recommend this hotel enough and stress it was the only reason I lasted 8 nights in Phuket!

Burke, Virginia
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I have to start by saying my wife and I began this journey at Kata Resort and Spa. We saw nice pics online and thought it would be a good place to go. We did not have reservations but still taxied to hotel to try to find a room since it was still offseason. The hotel while nice, looked a bit dated and the staff was not very friendly. This might not be accurate but was my first impression. After telling us they would not book us at anything close to the agoda price we saw online we decided to use their wifi and find something else. Foto came up and we loved the pool pic and decided to try it. We were surprised when we went up into the hills a bit as we thought it was on the ocean. After a while, we finally were checked in. While we waited we went to the pool to have a drink. We fell in love with the hotel immediately because of the pool and its view of Kata, simply amazing. We loved the room which had a huge comfortable bed. The hotel is appropriately named as everyone is snapping photos all the time. Cannot wait to come back. Staff was nice but not a five star level of service or professionalism. That being said, we cannot wait to come back and will tell everyone to come here as we cannot touch the same type of value in the States for what we paid there.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 October 2013

My partner booked a Ocean view room in this hotel to celebrate my special day of the year.

I was in awe upon arrival at this hotel. This is the exact kind of boutique hotel I like!

Pros: 1. Smooth check in & out
2. Rooms are huge and clean. *Pls note that the bathtub is at the balcony.*
3. Infinity pool is well kept
4. Hotel is well maintained & pretty good for photo taking.
5. Awesome views at the r&r area near the pool
6. Complimentary water, yakult and snacks at the mini bar area in the room
7. Tiffin Mama offers delicious food

Cons: 1. Inconsistent service provided
2. Hotel is situated up the slope. You would need to climb up that steep road (15- 20mins) to the hotel.
3. Breakfast variety was a disappointment.
4. Minimal free shuttle bus timings

Overall, I would recommend this hotel. If you're looking for a quiet, secluded and romantic getaway with your partner, this is the place to go. I wouldn't mind staying in the hotel all the time, as just by sitting at the r&r area with a bottle of beer/drink, overlooking at the awesome sunset or view is good enough for me. I will definitely come back here again next year!

Room Tip: Ocean View Rooms
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fussytraveler08
Bangkok
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Nice hotel with posh design. The pool looks gorgeous especially during sunset. Breakfast is with not so many choices, but tasty. The room is big, with a tub at the balcony. Room is very clean. Room is in 5 buildings, and you need to take the hotel buggies to go to the restaurant or the pool. Not an issue for me, I enjoy climbing up stairs, trekking into hotel buildings to arrive at the lobby.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kata Beach
#7 of 56 in Kata Beach
Mom Tri's Villa Royale
Mom Tri's Villa Royale
#2 of 56 in Kata Beach

Been to Foto Hotel? Share your experiences!