“Worst Resort EVER, Where are the + reviews coming from?”
Review of Foto Hotel

Foto Hotel
Ranked #11 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Victoria, Canada
“Worst Resort EVER, Where are the + reviews coming from?”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I've been trying to figure out how I was going to write this review because I am not one who ever gives a resort a terrible rating. I am one of those people who look at pictures of stains, dead flies, dirty sheets, etc that people take and laugh. How bad could it really be? Well it was horrific!

Confirming the booking: I tried several attempts through their website, facebook, and email to try and confirm our reservation. It literally took 3 weeks and multiple emails on my part to confirm this.

Check in: I booked our reservation through book it and the resort did confirm my booking. I lost the paper copy of our reservation but didn't think anything of it because we had no issues checking into our other hotels and never needed the paper copy. Well I was wrong. The resort staff had a copy of my booking, the name's all matched on their copy with my passport that I provided, but they refused to let me check in until I provided my copy of the booking. Even though we had the emails, the reservation was prepaid, they had all the copies, our names all matched, and we had our passports! I couldn't get the wifi to work to go into my email and get the copy, so they kindly took us to our room after we left a cash deposit.

Room: What a nightmare! The pictures that are shown on here are NOTHING like what it really looks like. The room was filthy and I'm a nurse so stuff doesn't usually bother me but it was bad. There was stains that looked like blood and something else on the day bed, our white pillows were stained with dried blood, the cushion on the floor (writing desk behind bed) had coffee stains all over it, the white TV stand was all marked up and stained, there were dried dead bugs all over the floor, it was awful! We took pictures of everything and I am happy to share. The bathroom was clean. Our view with the tub on the deck was of a metal fence and a branch. There are a ton of stairs here, I knew this prior to booking but I was actually surprised on how many there were. The hill that everyone is talking about it very steep, to the point where our driver barely was able to drive up.

Mini Bar: a joke don't book for this.

Adults Only: ??????? I don't get this as there were kids there!

Resolving the Room Problem: This was a nightmare, I would have been happy if this was resolved and we were given a room that we had paid for but there was nothing available.We spent 3.5 hours going back and forth trying to get a new room. They were shocked by our pictures and agreed it was terrible. They didn't have a room that they could give us I was even willing to PAY for an upgrade but again they couldn't help us. They said that they would refund us our money but it would have to go through our booking agent. The manager who refused to come out and speak with us called our agent and said everything was taken care of. When I asked to speak with the agent to hear it for myself I was told I would have to pay 100 THB per minute if I wanted to do that!!!! They then provided me with a copy of the email they had sent to the booking agent and this was the only written agreement I was able to get. My husband who went down to the room to grab our bags, I witness the guy who drives the carts making gestures towards him calling him fat, he stopped pretty quickly when he saw me watching him.

I left and went outside to frantically find a resort at 8pm at night while my husband dealt with everything. The taxi mafia was WONDERFUL, they were so helpful and drive us around and came into resorts to try and get us a deal. They never did but it was a nice gesture. They even drove my husband back to the Foto to get our deposit back that they forgot to return at no additional cost. So we had no issues with these guys, they were probably nicer than the hotel staff.

I was so disappointed with this property, I really thought that because it was a new resort and the reviews were great that we couldn't go wrong by staying here. I have no idea why this place gets the rave reviews that it does because it really is terrible. The location is also not the greatest! Would never stay at this resort again nor would I recommend it to my worst enemy. If you would like pictures please feel free to PM me. We ended up staying at the Avista down the road and it was fabulous!

Room Tip: Don't stay here but if you must stay in an upper level room, the ones on the lower end are awful...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank meeko_2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We booked early so we got a good deal at the hotel, so for the price we paid, we were pretty satisfied, it is not a 5 star but its no less either

Pros:
Excellent location away from the hustle bustle of Patong
Near the Kata View Point, amazing view of the beaches
Hotel staff attentive and helpful
Excellent room, super comfortable bed and bath tub, nice privacy to the rooms
Excellent pool and outdoors
Room Service and front desk very helpful

Cons:
No lift to all the floors in the hotel
Portions of stairs uncovered so one might get wet if it rains
Steep hike up the hill if you want to walk to the beach everyday, hire a scooter
Limited food option for chicken eaters and vegetarians, but then you have enough option down at Kata and Karon
Free Mini bar deal is a sham, its just cola and yakult
Not many channels on the tv, although that wont count as ure not there to watch tv

So, all in all i think its an excellent hotel you get at a good price. We really enjoyed our stay here and in Phuket. Would definitely return to the hotel

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Ivan_30091981
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

I have just arrived back from my 2 week holiday in Phuket and my week at Foto Hotel was amazing. The room, the pool and the views were first class and the service there was alot better than i had expected after reading many reviews on here...yes there are a few stairs you may have to climb but its not a big deal nor is the hill to get to the hotel..either hire a scooter, get a tuk tuk or just walk up/down its really not thay bad..if you are looking for a quiet and beautiful place to unwind and relax then i wouldnt go past Foto Hotel.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We have just returned to Sydney after spending 17 wonderful nights at the Foto Hotel. This is not the normal Thai hotel/resort. It is a modern complex with a lot of thought going into the design even down to the décor in the rooms. Photographic opportunities are everywhere with the views from the pool area just amazing. Management have obviously taken note of some previous poor reviews in relation to staff attitude. We had nothing but excellent service from everyone. I would particularly like to mention the service from Phong the manager and Ting the restaurant manager. Nothing was too much trouble. English skills do need to be improved by some staff as there was a lack of understanding in quite a few instances. We found the food of good quality for breakfast. A few more cereals such as muesli would have been good as only 2 cereals were on offer. The little touches such as English jams/honey and individually made milk coffees using Phuket Coffee were nice touches. The lunch/dinner menu was limited in choice however the quality was excellent at a reasonable price. The rooms exceeded our expectations. The bed and pillows were the best we have experienced anywhere. Once you understand how to use the free wifi (even in the room) we had absolutely no problem. The speed was good and Skype reception was excellent even back to Australia. Little touches like the free daily mini bar for basic items was a feature we appreciated. The hotel is up a steep hill from Kata so unless you are quite fit you need to have your own transport or use taxis/tuk tuks. A limited shuttle service is provided to Kata Beach 3 times daily. If you do book try to ask for a room close to reception or you will be using a lot of stairs. The hotel does however provide an electric cart service to the reception areas from the lower rooms should you find the stairs difficult. Overall this was one of our better hotel stays. We have travelled to Phuket many times and we again will book the Foto Hotel for our next stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Reviewed 13 November 2013

PROs

- modern boutique hotel
- best room ever (massive bed, complimentary daily snacks, toilet/bathroom was nice)
- yoga friendly garden in front of room
- tummy filling breakfast/early lunch choices
- rooftop pool and lounge area are the best features of the hotel

CONs

- location! hotel is located at hillside, too exhausting to walk up from town and too expensive to take taxi downtown
- service was not consistent
- room was quite far to the lobby

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My friends and I went there for 4 times and everytime we've stay in the hotel. We've just try the restaurant and also roof-top bar. It was fantastic panorama view of Kata beach. How's romantic it is! My friends slept there for 2 nights and we have the same opinion; Thai food must be improve. Every dishes that we tried were disappointed and we don't want to try it again next time. BUT, Maybe next month we will go for relax again, we will try our dinner there and hope it will be fine.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mymint W
Pattaya, Thailand
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I have read numerous reviews of this property before I came and was looking for affordable romantic getaway for myself and partner. What I got was what was advertised. I am in love with this hotel and the staff. I guess it may have helped that I have a thai partner and I can understand a bit of the language. I had a few issues throughout my 13 nights but whenever these occurred they were sorted out efficiently. The restaurant was a little disappointing but the menu is being updated so after a few nights went down into either Kata or Kata Noi. I have travelled a fair bit and whatever overseas country I am in I make it a habit of mixing with the locals. Most complaints are to do with the language. Not everyone in Thailand speaks Russian. Also good idea for people to read comments and visit website before booking. The rooms are amazing. Big spacious beds . Bath and day bed on balcony (Ocean View) We had room 212 . highly recommended. Will be back again for honeymoon in the future

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Mom Tri's Villa Royale
Mom Tri's Villa Royale
#2 of 56 in Kata Beach
Katathani Phuket Beach Resort

Been to Foto Hotel? Share your experiences!