“Interesting views”

Foto Hotel
Ranked #12 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Reviewed 26 November 2013

It's a nice hotel.
It's more about style and views than that you your really get what you're paying for - in my opinion.
The views over Kata Beaches are stunning of course. On the other hand, when you're having breakfast in the rooftop restaurant, there's also a huge electricity stand just in front of a large part of the windows. That's not really nice to see.
Also, I think that prices for breakfast are a little too high for what you get. And staff attitude is not 100% friendly, nor is English spoken throughout the hotel... which is okay, if you speak Thai like I do.

The rooftop infinity pool is small but nice.
Room are stylish. But then also the location is up a steep hill so that you really need to use the shuttle bus to get to the beaches.

Room Tip: Room with sea view on a high floor is necessary to make it a nice holiday!!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 November 2013

We had a great experience at Foto Hotel lots of funny people. Bill upstairs was our buddy. The breakfast was good, lots to choose from( Thai tea) the tuna sandwich was good. Room service a ill slow. Scooter rental was a good choice. Very polite people. They all spoke pretty good English

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 20 November 2013

This hotel might be perfect if you are going on honeymoon and like the privacy the hotel provides. The rooms are indeed very stylish, the bathroom with a huge shower is great and the bed is soo big and comfortable!
But, here are the downsides: if you are unlucky like us and get a room far from the reception, you have to climb a lot of stairs. We are usually not the type of people that get exhausted easily, but remember the climate - then 11 stairs are not that nice, you think well whether you want to leave the room.
There is indeed a buggy service that helps you with the luggage and, if you want so, they can pick you up any time. Unfortunately, the communication with the reception is not very effective, so it may happen you call for a buggy and they say they will send one, which will never happen. Same thing in case of any problem, you call them, they promise to do something and just hang up, we had such a thing considering the internet connection, we called in the first evening and they did not do anything about it during our one-week stay. We finally figured it out after a few hours of trying everything (there is a problem of receiving an IP-address).
Same thing with the stairs is true for the hill you have to climb to get to the hotel. You just think a lot about whether it is worth it. The beach shuttle only starts at 10 AM (too early for us) or at 4 PM (too late for us) and another time in the evening. Something like 2 PM would have been nice. We decided to walk most of the times. Just to illustrate how steem the hill is, one evening when we returned from a daytrip it had rained and the car of the trip agency had huge troubles to make it up the hill, the wheels spun. If you want to see something more than just the hotel and the pool (which is really nice), rent a scooter! This is possible for just 350 baht per day.
The view out of our window was not that great, we saw the next rooms with the airconditioners, so it was always very warm on the balcony. Additionally, you could climb the roof of the next rooms easily and could also enter the balcany of your neighbour and of course see everything in their rooms. That's why we always kept the curtains closed which was a bit sad since the windows were huge.
All in all, we liked the room with its amenties and the pool, but the service and especially the english skills should be improved! Sometimes it was just not possible to communicate, especially on the phone.
The breakfast was also good, especially the buffet. We did not like the warm part that much, there is always the same western breakfast and two choices of asian breakfast, but they all were not that good. The buffet offered everything you need, especially the fresh fruits were nice. The menu for lunch and dinner was rather small, not many choices. The prices are rather high compared with what you can get in Kata at a similiar level, but as I said, you always think of whether it's worth to climb the hill. One night we tried out the room service, which arrived after 50 minutes, though we just ordered some snacks. Of course, they were cold by then.
So, my advice: if you like staying in the room and at the pool, this hotel is a good option. Otherwise, you should rent a scooter to be able to discover the beaches. Though I liked the hotel itself, I probably would go for a hotel near the beach next time.

Room Tip: Stay near the reception! Not only will you have a better view as you are higher, you also will not h...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I've been trying to figure out how I was going to write this review because I am not one who ever gives a resort a terrible rating. I am one of those people who look at pictures of stains, dead flies, dirty sheets, etc that people take and laugh. How bad could it really be? Well it was horrific!

Confirming the booking: I tried several attempts through their website, facebook, and email to try and confirm our reservation. It literally took 3 weeks and multiple emails on my part to confirm this.

Check in: I booked our reservation through book it and the resort did confirm my booking. I lost the paper copy of our reservation but didn't think anything of it because we had no issues checking into our other hotels and never needed the paper copy. Well I was wrong. The resort staff had a copy of my booking, the name's all matched on their copy with my passport that I provided, but they refused to let me check in until I provided my copy of the booking. Even though we had the emails, the reservation was prepaid, they had all the copies, our names all matched, and we had our passports! I couldn't get the wifi to work to go into my email and get the copy, so they kindly took us to our room after we left a cash deposit.

Room: What a nightmare! The pictures that are shown on here are NOTHING like what it really looks like. The room was filthy and I'm a nurse so stuff doesn't usually bother me but it was bad. There was stains that looked like blood and something else on the day bed, our white pillows were stained with dried blood, the cushion on the floor (writing desk behind bed) had coffee stains all over it, the white TV stand was all marked up and stained, there were dried dead bugs all over the floor, it was awful! We took pictures of everything and I am happy to share. The bathroom was clean. Our view with the tub on the deck was of a metal fence and a branch. There are a ton of stairs here, I knew this prior to booking but I was actually surprised on how many there were. The hill that everyone is talking about it very steep, to the point where our driver barely was able to drive up.

Mini Bar: a joke don't book for this.

Adults Only: ??????? I don't get this as there were kids there!

Resolving the Room Problem: This was a nightmare, I would have been happy if this was resolved and we were given a room that we had paid for but there was nothing available.We spent 3.5 hours going back and forth trying to get a new room. They were shocked by our pictures and agreed it was terrible. They didn't have a room that they could give us I was even willing to PAY for an upgrade but again they couldn't help us. They said that they would refund us our money but it would have to go through our booking agent. The manager who refused to come out and speak with us called our agent and said everything was taken care of. When I asked to speak with the agent to hear it for myself I was told I would have to pay 100 THB per minute if I wanted to do that!!!! They then provided me with a copy of the email they had sent to the booking agent and this was the only written agreement I was able to get. My husband who went down to the room to grab our bags, I witness the guy who drives the carts making gestures towards him calling him fat, he stopped pretty quickly when he saw me watching him.

I left and went outside to frantically find a resort at 8pm at night while my husband dealt with everything. The taxi mafia was WONDERFUL, they were so helpful and drive us around and came into resorts to try and get us a deal. They never did but it was a nice gesture. They even drove my husband back to the Foto to get our deposit back that they forgot to return at no additional cost. So we had no issues with these guys, they were probably nicer than the hotel staff.

I was so disappointed with this property, I really thought that because it was a new resort and the reviews were great that we couldn't go wrong by staying here. I have no idea why this place gets the rave reviews that it does because it really is terrible. The location is also not the greatest! Would never stay at this resort again nor would I recommend it to my worst enemy. If you would like pictures please feel free to PM me. We ended up staying at the Avista down the road and it was fabulous!

Room Tip: Don't stay here but if you must stay in an upper level room, the ones on the lower end are awful...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank meeko_2011
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We booked early so we got a good deal at the hotel, so for the price we paid, we were pretty satisfied, it is not a 5 star but its no less either

Pros:
Excellent location away from the hustle bustle of Patong
Near the Kata View Point, amazing view of the beaches
Hotel staff attentive and helpful
Excellent room, super comfortable bed and bath tub, nice privacy to the rooms
Excellent pool and outdoors
Room Service and front desk very helpful

Cons:
No lift to all the floors in the hotel
Portions of stairs uncovered so one might get wet if it rains
Steep hike up the hill if you want to walk to the beach everyday, hire a scooter
Limited food option for chicken eaters and vegetarians, but then you have enough option down at Kata and Karon
Free Mini bar deal is a sham, its just cola and yakult
Not many channels on the tv, although that wont count as ure not there to watch tv

So, all in all i think its an excellent hotel you get at a good price. We really enjoyed our stay here and in Phuket. Would definitely return to the hotel

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Ivan_30091981
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

I have just arrived back from my 2 week holiday in Phuket and my week at Foto Hotel was amazing. The room, the pool and the views were first class and the service there was alot better than i had expected after reading many reviews on here...yes there are a few stairs you may have to climb but its not a big deal nor is the hill to get to the hotel..either hire a scooter, get a tuk tuk or just walk up/down its really not thay bad..if you are looking for a quiet and beautiful place to unwind and relax then i wouldnt go past Foto Hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We have just returned to Sydney after spending 17 wonderful nights at the Foto Hotel. This is not the normal Thai hotel/resort. It is a modern complex with a lot of thought going into the design even down to the décor in the rooms. Photographic opportunities are everywhere with the views from the pool area just amazing. Management have obviously taken note of some previous poor reviews in relation to staff attitude. We had nothing but excellent service from everyone. I would particularly like to mention the service from Phong the manager and Ting the restaurant manager. Nothing was too much trouble. English skills do need to be improved by some staff as there was a lack of understanding in quite a few instances. We found the food of good quality for breakfast. A few more cereals such as muesli would have been good as only 2 cereals were on offer. The little touches such as English jams/honey and individually made milk coffees using Phuket Coffee were nice touches. The lunch/dinner menu was limited in choice however the quality was excellent at a reasonable price. The rooms exceeded our expectations. The bed and pillows were the best we have experienced anywhere. Once you understand how to use the free wifi (even in the room) we had absolutely no problem. The speed was good and Skype reception was excellent even back to Australia. Little touches like the free daily mini bar for basic items was a feature we appreciated. The hotel is up a steep hill from Kata so unless you are quite fit you need to have your own transport or use taxis/tuk tuks. A limited shuttle service is provided to Kata Beach 3 times daily. If you do book try to ask for a room close to reception or you will be using a lot of stairs. The hotel does however provide an electric cart service to the reception areas from the lower rooms should you find the stairs difficult. Overall this was one of our better hotel stays. We have travelled to Phuket many times and we again will book the Foto Hotel for our next stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Nook Dee Boutique Resort by Andacura
The Yama Hotel Phuket
The Yama Hotel Phuket
#12 of 137 in Karon

Been to Foto Hotel? Share your experiences!