“Nice design & decor, poor service & cleanliness, average food”
Review of Foto Hotel

Foto Hotel
Ranked #11 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My wife and I went to stay here on 1st April. We arrived 30 mins earlier that the hotel's standard check-in 2pm, but ended up got our room at 2.30pm.

The room was nice, but the floor was sticky and no indoor slippers provided. There was strong toilet odor that we needed to get our own can of scented spray. Breakfast's taste was less than expected (couldn't help to compare with the other places we stayed in subsequent nights. They did much better job on this). We also ordered lunch on the day we left. The chef didn't get the Caesar Salad dressing right. Quite disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Thefoto, Manager at Foto Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Chin D,

Thank you for your valuable comments. All issues brought up have been briefed and discussed among our teams for further improvement. Some points have been a lot improved and some are on process. We hope we would have a chance to be at your service again in a very near future.
Thank you & best regards, Management Team

Reviewed 4 April 2014

We arrived on 23rd of March this trip is about my girlfriend birthday. The check-in process slightly difficult but overall went well. After that staff brought us to the room, ocean hall is our room for this trip. The room was very large, impressed by signature mascot- a big bear, nice view which we can see Kata Noi beach down there. Room decoration was chic, stylish, trendy i LOVE it!!! We took a rest for an hour then we went for lunch at Tiffin Mama. Quality of food and bev. is okay with reasonably price. In the evening we spent the time with swimming pool and took million of photos when the sun goes down hahahaha .. it's such a great shot ever!!! :) ..... that's why they call 'Silhouette pool'. At night we sunk in the jacuzzi at the balcony, looking at the stars above very romantic makk makkk :)) followed with a birthday cake surprised by hotel to my gf. I personally like the king bed, felt comfy, don't want to wake up again 5555.

In the morning we had breakfast at around 8.30am. not quite crowded. In my opinion, the breakfast had not much choices maybe should extend the buffet line nearby the pool would be more interesting. After finished breakfast we again took some photos with the nice view in the morning and back to our room. We found that the air con was leaking, big bear was wet :( so sad that cannot hug him before we left. We went to an exhibition at the 2nd floor before we checked out, it's all about the new condo managed by this hotel called 'Saturdays Condo'. The check out was fast, all staffs working as a team i can see that :)

We're very happy with this trip and will be back again for sure!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thefoto, Manager at Foto Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear W_ sapient,

Thank you very much for your lovely compliments on our property and glad to learn you have a great time and a nice memory with us. Hope your girlfriend had enjoyed her birthday with us too.
Thank you for sharing your air-con leaking experience with us. We have brought-up this issue to our engineering team which now we have fixed the issue already and will continue to do retouching the remaining rooms during this upcoming low season. Hope we would have a chance to welcome you back to our hotel again very soon. Thank you & best regards, Management Team

Reviewed 30 March 2014

... But the customer service was poor. Our safety box broke three times and when we went to complain it, the reception employees started to laugh at us. One of the taxi drivers was also very irrelevant. We went to shopping and he was upset for that. He said that we should go to watch Big Buddha and do something else, because we are stupid if we are spending money for buying clothes.

However, the Hotel was fantastic! We had Room with sea view and it was worth it! Other facilities was in great shape as well and we will definitely recommend this hotel for couples.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thefoto, Manager at Foto Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Henr1,

Thank you for your comment and sorry to hear you had experienced some difficulties while staying with us. Customer service is usually our normal practice that we do service to our guests.
More customer-service trainings and guest handling courses are on the way which we believe the uncomfortable issues would all be disappeared finally. Thank you & look forward to welcoming you back again very soon. Best regards, Management Team.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I personally really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. I traveled in March with my partner, and my sister and her partner. We stayed 7 nights and this was our first trip to Thailand. We booked via Expedia and booked one of the Ozone Hall rooms with breakfast. On arrival, reception staff seemed pleasant, you do check in on an Ipad, I don't see why people complain about this, we all have Iphones now days so can't see how anyone would find this difficult. The staff at this hotel did not ask me for a credit card. We were taken to our room which was on Level 1, I asked to have a room close to reception after reading reviews on trip advisor. They obviously complied with my requests as I also asked for a bath tub and got one! The room itself is very beautiful and spacious. The room was hot and I will agree that the air-con can be quite noisy especially if you leave it on during the night. The bed was massive and very comfortable. The pool and bar on the roof is amazing, yes there are people taking a lot of photos, but why blame them when it's so beautiful? I had no problem with this, I was too busy enjoying myself to care what the other guests in the hotel were up to. The pool area never seemed too busy which I liked as I was always able to find a lounger or couch. Sunset got a little busier with people wanting to take photos (good for them!). Breakfast at this hotel was satisfactory, not amazing but pretty good. Service was absolutely fine in my opinion. The girls working on the front desk could have been a little more hospitable but to be honest, Thai people in general seemed to have this attitude and when I'm in another country, I roll with the culture difference and accept them for how they are. The hotel is located on a hill, the walk down only takes 5 minutes and in my opinion, was all good. Getting back up the hill is another story though, I only conquered this once. Other times, I just bit my tongue and paid for the slightly overpriced tuktuk back up (overpriced for Thailand, still insanely cheap for NZ!). Still, all of this is part of the experience!! You don't got to Thailand to not get ripped off at least once. First trip to Thailand which was a little overwhelming at times, I felt very safe and comfortable at the end of the day coming back to this hotel. I think people need to be a little more open-minded and let some of the smaller things go. I work in a hotel in New Zealand, we are known to be very hospitable and are a very friendly culture. This does not mean everywhere in the world will be the same. Respect the Thai culture - they work in hotter unhealthier conditions compared to what we are used to. At the end of the day, I paid peanuts to stay here so to be petty would just be unfair. Unless you want absolute perfection (good luck), give the place a go! I would most definitely go back & so would my partner, sister and sisters partner!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank TraceyH91
Thefoto, Manager at Foto Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear TraceyH91,

Thank you for your kind compliments and thoughtfulness. Glad to learn you had enjoyed your holidays with us and had memorable experiences from our Pearl of Andaman; Phuket, Thailand.
We hope we can be at your service again in a very near future. Thank you & look forward to welcoming you back again very soon. Best regards, management team.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Up on hill Between Kata and Kata Noi (15 min. walk from the center). Views over the bays from the pool area are breathtaking.
Very cold welcome from the ladies at the front desk. Asked some info about the shuttles to the beach one day and the girl seemed annoyed ... But all the male staff members were very friendly and sympathic.
The pool area is the strong point of this hotel , at sunset it's magical. The problem is that during the days guests from outside are accepted if they pay a fee, and these guys were very noisy and impolite. They came twice to the hotel. I spek French as they did and understood everything: very rude, impolite and came with their thai girls... Also the hotel said that children ere not allowed and there were 2 during my stay.
The rooms are perfect, huge, nice views, huge and comfy beds, bathtube on the balcony, very good coffee, great shower. Only problem: disgusting smell in the bathroom during the entire stay (room 402)
Very good Wi Fi
Breakfast good but again sympathic waiter but not very profesional (all with their phone and forget guest orders)
All in all a very beautiful design hotel with exceptional views and superb room but with a real lack of training of staff members.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Thefoto, Manager at Foto Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Pym,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. We have re-instructed our front line staff to provide more attention to clients and to be more helpful and friendly. Regarding outside guests paying some entrance fee, made loud noise and being impolite, we have taken this point seriously and have issued new policy not to let the outside guests in to use our pool but reserved for our in-house guests only. Hope it can help entertain our guests better. Staff concentrating their phones more than customers is another issue that we regularly monitor and take it seriously. Thank you again for your comments on these points and we do look forward to welcoming you back again very soon. Thank you & best regards, management team.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I was looking forward to my stay at the Foto Hotel after ogling over the photos on their website prior to our trip to Thailand, but can honestly say it was the worst out of the 7 hotels we visited whilst travelling around Thailand. Before you think I am on a vendetta, - read any other reviews I've posted, all accurate and fair.

We arrived in Phuket full of high hopes after spending a great week and a half visiting the cities up north and were looking forward to some luxury down in the southern islands of Thailand. This was our penultimate hotel before making a trip over to Samui and then heading home and from the photos we were really looking forward to it.

After making the hour long trip to the hotel from Phuket international we arrived at the hotel and went to check in. First major annoyance was I was asked for my check in email. WHAT?!?! I have a passport with my name on, I assume with all your amazing (but massively over 'Apple'ised' - does the owner love Steve Jobs or something?) technology that you can simply pull my surname out of your booking database, corroborate it with my passport and away I go?

I was then asked to type into a grubby IPAD which you have to keep handing back to the snarling girl on the checkout to correct your errors. Why can't you just use the information I provided when booking, and fill my passport details in yourself?

I was then asked to pay 3000 BHT as a deposit. I was never told about this when booking. I did not have to do this in any other hotel. Please tell me this information before luring me to your troublesome hotel on false pretences.

We then got escorted to our rooms (this bit was actually good as the concierge staff actually seem human and polite). First impressions of the room was great, it looked modern, big (nice big bed) and the view was OK. We were promised a 'sea view', however only really got a partial one as the architect decided he'd extend a portion of the building to block most rooms views. Good one mate.

We then visited the pool. Great. Amazing view (was what I was promised in my room to be honest) and great infinity pool. Quite a chic layout. Thumbs up so far.

We then decided to go and look around Kata. I wish someone had warned me before leaving that I'd need calfs designed by Arnold Swarznegger to make it down the bank. Well I would not even call it a bank, it's more of a mountain face. I'd recommend some walking spikes and picks. And also some LED lighting because there is no pavement. Anyway, Kata was nice.

Back to the room. :-( and the first major problem. It's hot. Very hot. Black colours invite the heat and seem to store it up like a hot water bottle on steroids. No problem I hear you say? Well normally not if you have a decent air conditioning system and/or fan. Again not a problem, Foto Hotel has both. However the air conditioning unit sounds like a lioness sitting on a cactus whilst attempting to be an operatic singer. No worries - let's turn that bad boy off and turn the fan on. Holy mother of God. I think they purchased these fans from Rolls Royce and they were accidentally intended for an Airbus 380. One night I could not even move it pushed me that far back into the bed. AND WHY OH WHY CAN YOU NOT TURN THESE THINGS DOWN? WHY IS THERE NO LOW SETTING?!?!

Second major problem - we seemed to have an invasion of fire ants by the mini bar. Not so much an invasion, more of a mass immigration. I reported this to reception before we left for a trip, asking for it to be sorted. That evening when we came back I inspected the area and no change. OK - benefit of the doubt, I will speak to them again (even though this is disgusting). We showered and I was going to report it when we went out for dinner. Upon leaving our room I noticed an envelope. I was quite excited to be honest. I thought it might be some compensation for the ants. YEAH RIGHT! HAHA! THIS IS FOTO HOTEL, WE NO COMPO!

What was it then??? - only a letter requesting 1200 BAHT to replace a towel? What? apparently we had stained it. I was prepared for this as numerous people complained on here prior to my trip. I was also armed with my story of fire ants and the fact that our room service had been outside my door for about 28 hours. Pics can be provided of all of this :-)

So onwards. I had a fairly heated discussion with the chap on reception. Told him no way was I paying 1200 BAHT for a towel. What was it, cashmere? He said I had to, it was housekeeping. It was there decision. Whatever. I summoned the young lad to my room. Follow me mate. I had great fun showing him the ants. I had great fun showing him the noisy air con. I had great fun showing him the dirty room service trays. He was quiet after that. We stormed out and had our dinner.

This quite nicely leads me into the service at this hotel. The staff, largely are terrible. Pretentious, smug, annoying, lazy are typical words that my vocabulary extends to for these. There is no leadership. There is no direction. It's chaos. Breakfast is a nightmare. I never got the right thing. Reporting issues is a nightmare. Getting drinks (except happy hour, they seem to serve really well then) is hard work. They seem more concerned with there phones (probably iPhone if the love in is to be believed) and socialising. Or taking weird photos.

Oh that brings me on to one another thing. photos. seriously. what the hell. The poolside is more of a cat walk than relaxation area. And the staff encourage it. So weird, and very very offputting.

Hmm - what else? I'd probably better stop there, otherwise this review will turn into a novel.

Room Tip: High room, or no room if you want a view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thefoto, Manager at Foto Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Steve H,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us and sorry to hear your stay with us was not that enjoyable as it should be. The mentioned issues have been discussed seriously among teams. Some problems on technical points have been fixed right now and more trainings to be provided for staff for better service. Thank you & best regards, Management Team.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We booked this hotel due the fact we wanted try Kata area, which is presentedas great beach place. But after 1 st day we wanted to leave Phuket as soon as possible, but we could not due to have prepaid rate.
Hotel location is great, in terms of views over sea & town, but bad in terms of accessibility.
If you don't rent a car or bike then you are stuck in hotel. Yes, they provide shuttle, but you have to book it 2 hours prior and it is not absolutely convience. There are 3 rides from hotel to town/beach and two rides from town/beach back to hotel. That's all. Otherwise you have to use tuktuk, which is very overpriced (200 TBH for 1 minute ride of 1 kilometre ride is sick, it is even much cheaper in Europe and comparing to Bangkok or Chiang Mai its just scam). So if you are not happy to support those mafia taxi guys you have to walk. I love walking, and I walk a lot, but road is very hill without any pavement or lighting so be careful, and when it rains it gets much more dangerous.
Kata Noi beach is nice, but there is no toilette/shower on whole beach! Swimming was impossible due to high wawes all the time. Absolutely not suitable for kids, non swimmers, or fairly swimmers.
Kata beach was not that nice, very touristy, lines of sun umbrellas and russian tourist everywhere, but at least it has 1 (one) toilette/shower unit and swimming was nice.
Our check-in wasn't smooth at all. No welcome drink/fresh towels or offer to seat. They asked me to resend my booking confirmation email, even I showed them it in my ipad. I couldn't get the wifi because i wasn't check-in already so I had to use send it through iphone and use my cellular data. There is no filling the paper form, you are checked by ipad, which I like. But if you are not familiar with apple devices or high-tech than you are going to be confused, because they don't give you any kind of help with it. At the end of check-in process they inform you that they take 3000 TBH deposit (even being on fully prepaid rate). When I booked property I was not informed about it, and after reading other reviews I clearly see they do not inform at all. Awful customer treatment.
After check-in we just put our luggage into a room and went straight to pool, which was the reason I picked the hotel. Infinity pool out of marble is just perfect. Views are stunning. I liked the music played by the pool until I realised it was the same playlist day after day.
Pool area gets crowded and busy when it is sunny, so it is much more pool club like rather than private pool deck are. No privacy or relax during day, just party. If you are 18-25 maybe it would be cool, but for me it was not pleasant. No sun shades around the pool.
Our room was nice. Design is all black and white, with lot of small details. It was surely made by somebody who put much more accent on design side than on practical side. Room itself has a lot of issues. There is no wardrobe, only 5 hangers for 2 people. It would be ok, if you spend one night there, but absolutely not if you spend almost couple of weeks in Thailand. I went to reception and asked for more hangers as well as setup wifi connection, which did not work. They sent me another 5 hangers, so totaly I had 10 for all our clothes. I asked for more, but they didn't have! There are some open shelves situated next the steps which were dusty so you can not use them. Washbasin lies right in room, just like everywhere in high ends hotels around Thailand, but there is only one usable shelf under the mirror, the rest is under the washbasin which smells awfull, so no way to use it. Same issue with toilette, smell comes out every time you open the door of toilet/shower room. We called reception for better clenaning, but nothing changed during our stay. Cleaning is a big issue, you can clerly see spots on cushions, big teddy, sofa and towels. Knowing the fact that hotel was only 1 year old you can make your own idea about cleaniness. Rooms are dark so prepared yourself for a heat if you do not like to use of A/C. Terrace is nice, with cozy siting and bath (some rooms), but you would not enoy it, because most of rooms just face the facade of room behind them, so practically you are watching into corridors with air condition units which are excessively noisy all the time. Do not believe pictures on the website which gives you unique sea views, there are only some rooms with a direct sea view, the rest simply face roofs or walls. Not fair from a hotel! Minibar (daily stocked) includes 4 bottles of water, 2 cokes, 2 yakult and sweet jelly and something small salty. No juices, beer or spirits.
Breakfast are served in the only hotel restaurant, next pool, till 1 p.m. Staff is not the best, without any training and without any language skills. English is limited to none, so asking for some vegetarian options or making order of anything means using nonverbal language or give it up. Our first breakfast were unique example how not to serve a customer. After entering restaurant we reply for room number, sat down and waited for service, but even there are always 5-7 staff members, no one came to use, so we woke up and looked for buffet menu. While standing and taking water we were "served" by one waiter, so we had to choose one of three breakfast food and drinks from a la carte. No explanations were given when I asked about food, I was not familiar as there were only thai food options. I strictly asked for anything vegetarian and on our surprise we were given a bacon/some eggs/meat soup.. Avoid to be served by the tallest guy with glasses. So for next day I just catch one of two only nice girls (only two with smile) and asked for vegetarian menu again.
Food was good, nicely presented and tasty, cooks are good. But of you are into western style breakfast you won't be satisfied, a la carte is mostly thai food and buffet cover only fresh vegetable/fruit and pastry.
Menu for lunch/dinner was not that good, limited selection, being a vegetarian or non meat eater you hardly find something. Prices of food and drinks were the most expensive out of all our hotels in Thailand (Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Khao Lak). We skipped to eat outside hotel. Nearest local restaurant is 200 m from entry.
Gym is small and hot, but for some days is ok. Can not rate the spa, I did not use it. There are no more facilities.
I would revisit this place again for one night to enjoy the views from pool, but I do not think I will visit Kata area (or commonly main Phuket tourist places) again. There are much more interesting locations in Thailand to visit again, so I will not miss this one.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank peterSK7
Thefoto, Manager at Foto Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Petersk7,

Thank you for sharing your stay experiences with us and sorry to learn your holidays in Phuket this time was not pleasant as it should be. As November is just a "kick-off" timing of high season period, most of the beaches in Phuket is usually crowded with tourists from all over the world. Should you prefer more privacy, we would suggest you revisit Phuket again after April until October. For your comment on welcome drinks, as we already provide free minibar daily in all rooms, we do not serve drinks upon arrival as it would delay c/in process. Deposit Baht 3,000.-net is usually the guarantee deposit which is a common practice to hotels. As to ease guest 's troublesome as your case, we have cancelled this policy last month which we believe it would relax guests more and hope we can be at your service again very soon. Thank you & best regards, Management Team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kata Beach
#27 of 56 in Kata Beach
The SIS Kata
The SIS Kata
#29 of 56 in Kata Beach

Been to Foto Hotel? Share your experiences!