Kata Palm Resort & Spa
Sawasdee Village(Kata Beach)(Great Value!)
US$151
US$132
  • Breakfast included
Beyond Resort Kata(Kata Beach)(Great Value!)
US$90
US$77
US$94
Chanalai Flora Resort(Kata Beach)(Great Value!)
US$39
Centara Kata Resort Phuket(Kata Beach)(Great Value!)
US$62
US$48
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Kata Lucky Villa & Pool Access(Kata Beach)(Great Value!)
US$48
US$41
Priceline
Chanalai Garden Resort(Kata Beach)(Great Value!)
US$47
US$42
Priceline
Mom Tri's Villa Royale(Kata Beach)(Great Value!)
US$251
US$223
Agoda.com
The Boathouse Phuket(Kata Beach)(Great Value!)
US$224
US$214
Metadee Resort and Villas(Kata Beach)(Great Value!)
US$250
US$199
1,335 results
All reviewspool access roompool barday bedtour desktraditional thai stylerestaurants and shopsdeluxe roomlarge poolgreat poolstayed here for nightslow seasonbuffet breakfastegg stationshort walk to the beachnoodlesnice resortpool side
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My wife and I stayed for the last week of March & the first week of April. The hotel is clean and tidy and the rooms are spacious.

The hotel is very well situated for access to the beach, it's a 5 minutes walk or a free service by the hotel should you wish to be driven.

Outside the hotel there are many shops, restaurants, markets & bars. You can get a great deal in most shops and markets if you barter. Unlike some countries, Thai folk do not go for the hard sell. They are very kind and extremely polite.

There are quite a few mini markets where you can buy ice cold drinks. Again this is cheaper than the beach bars.

One word of advise is do not buy off the beach vendors. The shops are cheaper.

Although there are more bars and restaurants you can shake a stick at, take a taxi or walk to the roadside mountain bars and restaurants. They are not much more expensive but we could not find better places to go for a meal overlookng the sea and watching the sun go down.

We normally do all inclusive 5 star but this holiday was a pure delight and great adventure. Make sure yoyu go to James Bond Island and "The Beach"

Room Tip: Ensure you ask for a high floor room overlooking the pool
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
RMKATAPALM, Manager at Kata Palm Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you very much for your feedback, we are very appreciated and hopefully to see you again next time.

Have a nice day!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We are kind of on the fence with this resort. It looks great and the location is great. The only thing is that the beds are terrible, it's like you are sleeping on concrete. And when a bed is not good, it ruins your whole holiday. We asked a couple times for padding to soften the beds but this did not help at all. I would not recommend staying here, purely based on the concrete beds.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JoeyR88
RMKATAPALM, Manager at Kata Palm Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

We are so sorry to hear that. Actually, we can add more mattress to make it softer. However we will source it out.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I spent a week at the Kata Palm (May 17-25, 2014). All in all, it’s a nice place that holds true to the pictures on the web, if you factor in about three years of half-hearted maintenance upkeep. At present, it’s undergoing lots of noisy repairs; only two of the swimming pools were open (the first one nearest the lobby and the kiddy one) – a disappointment for sure. The first floor rooms are all getting facelifts as well – all the way down to the wooden paneling. So book a first floor in the upcoming months and see what’s new.

I was in a superior room on the fourth floor, facing the pool (as all rooms do). The room was spacious and had plenty of room to store luggage out of the way. Yes, the beds are typically uncomfortable. The bathroom offers a hairdryer, a lovely stand-alone tub as well as a shower with both regular and tropical rain showerheads. The balcony has a very handy drying rack for your beach towels and swimsuits. There’s a large flatscreen TV which receives 30 stations; 3 in English (sports, news, and NatGeo), 1 in Russian, the rest in Thai. There’s no DVD player but the TV has the standard red-yellow-white inputs as well as an HDMI input – in case you want to bring your own DVD player. I was glad I’d brought mine as there was the military had shut down the TV stations during most of my visit.

The guests were mainly Russian, interspersed with overnight coaches full of Japanese tourists, so be ready for unapologetic heavy chain smokers at the pool and the beach. Speaking of the beach -- little known secret – the Kata Palm has 35 free beach chairs at the beach. Be in the lobby at exactly 8:30 AM to pick up your tickets for that day; once they’re gone, they’re gone. I thought the hotel’s free breakfasts were tasty and while basically the same every day, each day had a little twist (the Thai food and blinis are especially delicious).

If mobility issues limit you from walking on stairs, you can easily stay at the Kata Palm. There are lifts to all floors, but if you get a room in Building “0” you have the added bonus of being able to take a wheelchair to the pool or breakfast area. If you’ve got a room in Building “2” or “3,” you can only access those two areas across walkways studded with something akin to railroad ties between rocks – easy enough for those on two legs, but impossible with wheels. So go for Building “0” or even “1” in a pinch if you’re on wheels. That said, my room had a 4 centimeter drop between the main room and the bathroom, but I think wheels could accept that easily enough.

Phuket in “hot” season is exactly that – hot, muggy and leaves you covered in sweat -- major uncomfortable: you’ve been warned, fellow travelers! I highly recommend the trip out to Raya/Rasha/Racha Island for an excellent beach and snorkeling experience: squeaky clean white sand, crystal clear water and lots of colorful fish. My boat was filled with Chinese tourists, but the safety instructions are thankfully in English. When I went back to Kata Beach the next day after experiencing Raya, I realized how slimy and dirty the water is there – and how much trash had washed up onto the shore – what on earth was I swimming in? So the next day I hot-footed it back to beautiful Raya and enjoyed myself immensely.

Fellow Aussies – Kata Beach reminds me of Collaroy Beach in Sydney’s North Shore, but it’s only about 1/3 the size. I’m happy I flew on Air Asia, which transits through KL. I completely enjoyed entering Thailand via Phuket rather than at the dreaded Bangkok airport (show of hands – who hates the immigration line in Bangkok?). At Phuket, there were only 3 people ahead of me in the immigration line (with everything handily written in Thai, English and Russian) and my luggage was already at the conveyor belt – fabulous way to start a vacation.

Stores at Kata Beach are open from 10:00 AM -10:00 PM, so if you arrive on an early morning flight and think you can just walk around town waiting until your 2:00 PM check-in time, forget about it! Speaking of that, taxi fare to the airport is 900-1000 Baht and takes about 1 hour if there’s no traffic. All taxis know where the Kata Palm is, so no worries there.

Would I return to the Kata Palm if I was going back to Phuket? Yes, even if just to see their renovations. Or maybe I’d stay at Raya Island with those fantastic beaches. Hmmm…

Room Tip: All rooms face the pool. May 2014 sees big-time renovation to all first/ground floor rooms (including the pool access ones), so for something brand new, book there. I also added tips for mobility limited persons in my review.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Susie H
RMKATAPALM, Manager at Kata Palm Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Thank you for your comments, nice and clear describe and hope to see you again next time.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Kata Palms is a lovely resort, the pools are the best thing about the place. The rooms are large, the beds are amazing and decorated beautifully... however, the whole place is looking very run down and old, as if no maintenance has been done since it opened. The breakfast buffet is poor, apart from the omlettes !! They are yummyyy! The staff do not go out of their way to great you.. however they are friendly if you strike up a conversation. We did ask the reception to give us an extra travel adapter for our room and they said they would get the cleaner to bring it to us within the hour, but they never did! I find this very poor service. The swim up pool bar is very very old looking but the pool bar staff are the friendliest out of everyone.

Overall we did have a fabulous stay considering we paid a very low amount during our 7 night stay. I probably would look at staying somewhere else next time as I know you can a lot more out of a 4 star resort.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for your comments and hopefully to see you again next time.

With warm regards,

Reviewed 27 May 2014

For me this hotel served a purpose for a group of three singles traveling together who had no plans to hang around the hotel but more use this place as a base.
Location – 45 to 60 mins form the airport by taxi depending on traffic. The hotel itself was right in the middle of the strip with the beach a short 10 min walk to the left and the mini patpong style bars 10 mins to the right. (if thats your thing)
Hotel – General – Style is traditional Thai and if that’s your thing then you would like this place but it was mid-range at best and not luxury.
Rooms – we had a pool access via balcony room and for the price I would definitely recommend you opt for these rooms so you can have access to the pool bar and the complex is large so you dont have far to walk to from reception and no stairs to climb. They are secure enuff, have mossy grills on top of the the balcony doors however expect a lot of mossies and don’t blame the hotel its nature for Christ Sake! Beds were comfy enough but of average standard. Minbar was fairly local but sufficient for our needs. Bathroom was large with shower and separate bowl bath. Style was tradition Thai with some modern twists i.e. TV, aircon which was fine.
Pool – was great for walking around with a beer in your hand as it must have been at least 200m and it was a good way to become acquainted with your neighbours. Pool bar was basic and manned at strange hours so we used it when it was open and used our mini bar when it was closed.
Service – was slow and lethargic as expected but we never needed much so it went fairly unnoticed. I did order food once (pizza) and it took ages to come and it was of poor quality so I took one bite and left it. Looking at others eating even the Thai food look below par!
All in all, this hotel served a purpose and I think it would be good for larger group or large family groups as the complex is set to cater for this and they are very easy going.
It will not kill you to stay here but it’s nothing to rave about either. We spent most of our time at the beach in the day and traveling to other resorts for nights out and dinner. The whole time we only heard Russian accents and not one English accent the whole time we were in Kata which was fine but it might not suit you if you like to make holiday friends in your hotel/resort.

Room Tip: Balcony with pool access rooms is a must
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank mjmscot

Thank you very much for your feedback, it's quite a constructive comments with sincere expression.