“Beautiful and relaxing retreat”

Mom Tri's Villa Royale
Ranked #3 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Singapore, Singapore
“Beautiful and relaxing retreat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

Mom Tri's is a great place to vist for business, pleasure or anything in between. Rooms were large, comfortable and beutifully furnished with Thai/Asian feel. I particularly liked the colours in the Beach Wing rooms, as I enjoy the whole maroon, teak, silk look and feel. I saw a room in the other wing which was more white, bright colours, modern feel but equally beautiful.

As others have noted the staff were warm and acccommodating and went out of their way to ensure that guests enjoyed the stay. We had a dinner one night and imagine my surprise when the whole restaurant staff came to our table to sing Happy Birthday to me and present me with a cake! It was in fact my birthday the week before the stay.

The Mom Tri's kitchen has had mixed reviews. I had the set meal there one night which was excellent and not too bad value for several courses at about 900 Baht. Breakfast were excellent with a great choice of fruits, freshly squeezed juices, home made cakes etc

The gardens were beautiful and very peaceful. I believe this used to be a private home. The library has a photograph of the man who helped the original owner lay out the gardens and had written several books on Thailand. It is true that the hotel has more of a feel of someones home than of a hotel.

My one and only gripe was Kata Noi beach itself and there is little the hotel can do. Although the beach was pretty the water was absolutely filthy. Full of debris, floating plastic bags and who knows what else. i went in once and then stuck to the swimming pool. Its a shame because the se would be really nice if it was cleaner.

One day I would certainly love to go back

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Korean first
Marengo, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

The accomodations at Mom Tri's Villa Royale were....Royal! Having traveled with very basic accomodations prior to arriving in Phuket, I was taken aback by the hotel resort. Very lush and extravagant. Everyone was extremely warm and welcoming and no detail went unnoticed. My disappointment came with my Phuket experience in general, which I have to admit may have tainted my experience of Mom Tri's. I found Phuket to be too touristy and without real depth. In addition to this disappointment, I found that the prices at Mom Tri's to be extremely high and unwarranted. I had ordered room service and for $20 received one of the smallest meals during my entire stay. In Chiang Mai, I could have had three days of complete meals for this cost. Additionally, the Thai massage was extremely overpriced and, unfortunately, the worst I had during my trip (costing $60). I had a better Thai massage laying on a questionable mat on the floor ($4). also, I do not suggest that use the airport transportation service - $100 round trip, as I found you could arrange with someone else for a fraction of the cost. Lastly, it is known not to drink the water in Thailand. With this being said, I would think that bottled water would be provided at the cost of close to $1,000 for three nights stay. Unfortunately, they only provide two bottles of water per day and any that are consumed outside the provided two are close to $5 each! Though I chose the hotel for it's luxury accomodations, I felt that they took advantage and charged prices that are in excess of and taking advantage of what they could have charged. If you are looking for luxury and don't care about throwing money to the wind, then I do suggest this as a place to stay..AND, no hot shower.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank lindz80
Kata_noi, Public Relations Manager at Mom Tri's Villa Royale, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Dear Lindz80
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback and for choosing Mom Tri’s Villa Royale. We are glad you appreciated the beauty and lushness of the resort and friendly sincere service as mentioned often in our reviews. Our gardens are mature gardens that were planted over 25years ago when Villa Royale was Mom Tri’s private home.

We take all constructive feedback seriously and have investigated the points you have made. We are a oceanfront boutique hotel with stunning sea views and certainly our prices can not be compared to “basic accommodations” in Chiang Mai. Our standard rooms, as the one you stayed in, are 64.5 square meters with uninterrupted sea views from every point in the room and balcony and perched just above the rocks and ocean below.

The room service meal you ordered was the vegetarian tian eggplant dish which is off our regular dinner menu and is 520 baht. I have had this dish myself and found it to be diverse and filling and in fact it is one of my favorite dishes and a delight to vegetarians seeking something gourmet and innovative. Other dishes such as our duck mango is 620 baht and our Pernod salmon with fennel is 670. Our menus can bee seen online complete with prices on our website.
For lunch we have a separate lunch menu as well. Alternatively it is also only a 5 min walk down to the local beachfront eateries which have lower prices and are always happy to suggest when our guest ask about eating outside the hotel.

Our spa prices are comparable to spas prices of boutique hotels in Thailand. We apologise that you did not find the massage to your satisfaction. As you mention the one you had in Chiang Mai for $4 was on a questionable mat. We have a lovely spa and proper massage beds and our therapist are trained in many types of massage and spa treatments. Again our prices for all our massage treatments can be found online and a review of our spa can be found on Trip Advisor.

We apologies for any misunderstanding about the water but we do offer unlimited free water. When guest are taken to their room it is our standard for our front desk staff to inform guests that should you need additional water to just phone the front desk and they will bring it to your room at no charge. It should also be noted that we are one of the only restaurants that do provide unlimited complimentary drinking water during all meals in our restaurant.

We provide many complimentary services to our guests including wireless internet in all rooms and throughout the hotel, free use of a computer and printer, use of the library and fitness center, use of snorkeling equipment and sun loungers on the beach.

For the transportation we charge 1,500 Thai baht for the hotel vehicle which is very comfortable and our drivers are very safe. Anytime someone enquires about transport rates we openly tell them that the local taxis to and from the airport do cost less and range from 800-900 baht and we are happy to organize this for our guests.

As Phuket is an island it is one of the more expensive provinces in Thailand, even the cost of living for Thai people is higher here. We feel though that the disappointment you felt with Phuket should not have been reflected in your review considering the property and service met your expectations.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

Our second stay this year. Sitting by the salt water pool I considered why mom tri villa Royale is sooo very special. The answer is because it doesn't feel like a hotel. It feels like you are staying at a friends luxury villa and that the highly trained staff are there to ensure you feel welcome and at home. It's almost impossible to create this ambience. Many boutique hotels, now the flavor of the month, are trying but there is a genuineness here that is unique. The staff longevity helps. They have been together as a team for many years and there is a high level of support across all operational departments. on our return we were welcomed in a way that have never experienced. And I have stayed over 100 times a some hotels!!! It's the little touches. The cold face clothes when u come from the beach. The constant top up of glasses of water when you are at the pool. The afternoon pastries delivered at 4pm every day to your room. The superbly clean and well maintained rooms. The error free service possible because people care and they listen. The superior English also helps. We stayed at serenity for 3 nights prior to mo tri and whilst it was lovely the English skills were poor which deterred from the service levels. Thinking of visiting Phuket? Treat yourself to mom tri. It will become an all time favorite. Thank you Sao, Dee, Tommy, Mang Thep, Ying, and all staff for making our holiday so special. See u in April.

Room Tip: Room 14 is very special. But they are all great.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eleanor D
South Australia, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

Sorry this review is so long but during our 5 months in Phuket we stayed at Mom Tri’s Villa Royale twice, 7 nights in the Beach Wing Suites during June and then 4 nights in their new Ocean Wing Suites during September. Both suites & areas are totally different so I have separated the reviews but due to TA guidelines I can only post one review!

Beach Wing Suites
We have stayed at Villa Royale a few times now over the years and as they have such fantastic summer rates during low season we decided to book 7 nights in the Beach Wing Suites, the price was 49,500baht which also included free breakfast, 2 free dinners at Mom Tri’s Kitchen, 2 free massages each at Villa Royale Spa, free transfers and a bottle of wine in your room.

It is great value at just under $220 a night and is definitely our most favorite place.
This small beautiful Boutique Hotel is in a lovely location overlooking Kata Noi Beach, the grounds are stunning and very peaceful, the staff are the best we have ever dealt with, friendly, helpful, and efficient, and nothing is a problem for them at all.

The Beach Wing Suites are decorated in Traditional Thai Style, which we love, hard teakwood floors, beautiful comfortable furniture, perfect lighting. When you first go into your room there is Thai music softly playing in the background and the lovely smell of aromatherapy oil drifting through the room. Instantly we relax & both of us know, we will not be leaving this little piece of Heaven for 7 nights!

This trip our Suite was on the second floor in Room 16, we actually loved this room as the views of the ocean were even better. It was so easy to spend hours just laying on the big comfy lounge on our balcony listening to the waves crashing below & watching fireflies.
It does not matter how busy Villa Royale is, the way the Suites & gorgeous lush gardens are set up there are plenty of private seating areas with sun lounges, plus 3 swimming pools so it never seems like there are a lot of people around.

We thoroughly enjoyed our 7 nights at Villa Royale during June & the weather was perfect, we met some lovely people who were also staying there & had some good (late) nights with them at Mom Tri’s Kitchen (see separate review). Thank you Mom Tri’s Villa Royale for another fantastic stay & we are looking forward to staying with you again next year.

Ocean Wing Suites (Villa Terracotta)
Mom Tri’s Villa Royale now have a beautiful new area which is next door to Villa Royale and connected by a walkway. These are called the Ocean Wing Suites and there are 5 semi detached rooms along with private Guest Lounge areas that are set at the tip of the headland overlooking the ocean. After seeing one photo of this area advertising their soft opening special in September we decided on the spur of the moment we just had to spend 4 nights here. Well it was a sensational price of 4,500baht per night including breakfast!

It is going to be very hard to describe how magnificent this place is. The 5 suites are named after wine & we stayed in the Pinot Noir suite, all we could do was look & say WOW! You really need to see my photos to see what I mean. Just beautiful! As with anything to do with Mom Tri’s Villa Royale, this is absolute luxury. Ohh & did I mention there is a staff of 7 to look after the 5 suites!

The suites are set in 3 different pavilions & there is also a massive but beautiful Guests Lounge area with custom tables, chairs, lounge suites, television and Mom Tri’s personal collection of artwork & sculptures are also on display here and around the property. Truly Amazing!

This stunning place is full of surprises, down the stairs to the next level we go & there is a lovely infinity pool with more comfortable seating areas and a barbeque terrace. Past this area and some more stairs there are more surprises, 4 secluded but totally separate decked areas overlooking the ocean! Each deck has sun loungers for 2 people.

Well as you may have guessed, we absolutely love it here. Everything was perfect, service was impeccable, if we went down to the pool, in a few seconds the staff would be there with big fluffy white towels and glasses of iced water, it always amazed me that we rarely saw them but they magically appeared out of nowhere!

We were also very happy to see that our friend Sae from Mom Tri’s Kitchen was also working here now as Assistant General Manager. The only disappointing thing with our stay was that it rained the whole time we were there, but I could not think of a better place to be for staying indoors! Now the hard decision is do we stay in the Ocean Suites or the Beach Wing Suites next year!!

I took so many photos of both Suites and the gardens etc so just PM me if you would like to see them.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Cathy&Gary
Salisbury Plain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

My wife and I stayed for 11 nights in a Beach Wing room in the latter part of October and found the whole experience just so peaceful and relaxing. Plans to do much sightseeing of the island just evaporated as we soaked up the pleasures of this delightful small hotel with its superb location on the heights above Kata Noi Beach.

We especially liked the traditional Thai furnishings of our large Beach Wing room with its lovely view of Kata Noi Bay. What a view to start each day with the room being only a few metres from the sea. We were lucky with the weather as the SW monsoon ended the day we arrived and we enjoyed the start of the high season weather for most of our stay for a low season room rate.

We found all the staff very friendly and helpful, especially the crew at the pool bar where we ate a light lunch most days. We ate an evening meal at Mom Tri's Kitchen on six occasions and found the food to be absolutely fantastic and reasonably priced for fine dining; wine is expensive though. Each following morning after a Mom Tri's Kitchen dining experience we just couldn't manage breakfast. Although the hotel was on full occupancy for most of our time there the place never felt crowded and there was always plenty of space around all the pool areas. Due to its layout there are plenty of steps to climb and I believe it would not be suitable for the less mobile. We both used the spa a couple of times and can recommend it.

World financial situation permitting, we hope to return in October next year.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SalisburyPlainGunner
Havant, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

Phuket - like Benidorm on a bad day
HOWEVER, Mon Tri is an oasis . We stayed in the new Ocean wing. Only 5 double rooms, own infinity pool and private deck areas. Very attentive staff where nothing is too much. Ideal for a honeymoon couple wanting privacy.
I can't recommend it enough

Room Tip: ocean wing
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank howard p
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

Kata Noi Beach is a beautiful 700 metre stretch of paradise immediately around the southern point of Kata Beach.

Sitting in an absolute stunning location on top of the headland that separates both beaches is Mom Tri’s Villa Royale boutique hotel in which this publisher has had the privilege of staying. Possibly my all time favourite resort Villa Royale is pure paradise.

Some use the word paradise loosely but not this writer. Mom Tri’s is pure indulgence at its best.

This place was once the private holiday villa of Mom Luang Tridhosyuth Devakul (better known as Mom Tri), a renowned Thai architect and descendant of King Mongkut Rama IV.
A private path from the hotel leads to the beach where guests can enjoy the classic white sand and turquoise water. All suite rooms, also known as the Beach Wing Suites, face the sea and enjoy panoramic sea views. The suites are comfortable, spacious and have a balcony or terrace to enjoy the view. Three swimming pools can be found also overlooking the sea with a choice of freshwater or seawater.

There are only 35 rooms in total which adds to the secluded feeling of this resort magnificently hidden amongst tropical Thai fauna with lovely little walkways. Every exquisite detail, furnishing, food, service and atmosphere at Mom Tri’s is a testament to its reputation of pure comfort and pleasure.

Whilst there don’t forget to have a meal in the famed Mom Tri’s Kitchen. A winner of numerous awards Mom Tri’s Kitchen has visitors from all over the world. The wine cellar won Wine Spectator magazine’s Award of Excellence consecutively since 2006. Mom Tri’s Kitchen’s relaxed, breezy dining is renowned for inspired gourmet innovations and sea views. Bookings are essential.

Villa Royale was an experience of pure luxury. Wonderful spacious suites with open spaced living areas and all the extras plus some that one might hope for when staying in a world-class resort. My stay was a truly breathtaking moment-by-moment experience that will be very hard to top. I’m sure I’ll be back sooner rather than later!

Garth Wright

#1 of 34 in Choeng Thale
The Boathouse Phuket
The Boathouse Phuket
#5 of 56 in Kata Beach

Been to Mom Tri's Villa Royale? Share your experiences!