“Relaxed luxury & quiet charm.”

Mom Tri's Villa Royale
Ranked #3 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Austin, Texas
“Relaxed luxury & quiet charm.”
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We came to Mom Tri's for the first time, eager for a relaxing weekend after a busy three weeks of work in Singapore.

We arrived late at night, travel-weary and ready to relax. From the moment we walked in, we felt welcomed. The staff are gracious, warm, and friendly. And there is a quiet elegance and charm throughout the property.

When we arrived, they offered us cool eucalyptus-scented towels to freshen us. Check-in took only minutes, and we were shown to our room. Ours was #40, with a spacious king bed, and a beautiful balcony overlooking the sea. The room was adorned with fragrant flowers. There was a bottle of wine, and a simple snack set up for us.

Breakfast in Mom Tri's kitchen offered wonderful fresh fruit, eggs cooked to order, homemade breads, sausages, bacon, pancakes, and cereals. Plus, delicately sweet smoked salmon, and broiled tomatoes lightly herbed (my favorites every morning).

The first day was rainy, so we sat on our balcony and read. Is there a pleasure greater than sitting with the person you love, and a good book on a warm rainy day?

The rain let up by evening, and we had cocktails at the seaside lounge. There was an excellent bass, guitar, and tenor sax trio playing jazz standards flawlessly. They played softly enough that we could hear the waves against the beach.

We lingered during a dinner of fresh fish and crisp salads. A warm breeze drifting through open windows.

The second day was bright and sunny. Perfect breakfast again, and a walk into town for a few gifts. Then we headed to the beach. Kata Noi beach is open and uncrowded. The sea was quite warm, but still refreshing.

We'll definitely come back to Mom Tri's on our next trip to Asia.

Room Tip: #40 has a beautiful balcony overlooking the sea
2 Thank JohnSturtevant

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Korean first
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 6 May 2013

A wonderful start to our married life at Mom Tri! Hotel is beyond excellent. The rooms are large and well equipped, we stayed in suite 25 which had an amazing view of the beach! The staff are warm and try their best to help you out at all times! The real differntiating factor for the hotel are are small touches, our favorite was the "daily taste", which is a small tea cake/snack that is delivered to your room every afternoon, this was a fanastic surprise to look forward to! We loved the peace and tranquility that we experianced at the hotel, it was our little oasis in the hussle and bustle of Phuket!

2 Thank Alistair M
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 4 May 2013

My parents were visiting from Italy for my birthday, so I thought to spend my birthday weekend with them and my wife in Phuket. Naturally I wanted to avoid anything sleezy and just wanted a nice place right on the beach. After much research, we picked Mom Tri's Villa Royale and I am so happy we did.
Everything was perfect, from the airport pick-up to welcome drink, the rooms and the beach just a few steps away. The service was impeccable and staff very friendly. On my birthday even the housekeeping staff wished me happy birthday!
Mom Tri is the former summer residence of a very popular architect the place is named after. He still goes to the resort for his own holidays. Well, as the former villa belonging to one of most famous Thai architects you can imagine. The hotel is designed in charming Thai style, our suites are very spacious, with a private terrace overlooking the ocean and the beach that is just a few steps away. I won't spend much time describing the hotel, just look at the pictures I am attaching. Superb.
The resort is at one end of Kata Noi, the quiet side of Kata. Beach chairs and towels are provided for free, which I understand is not always the case in Phuket. At night we used to walk 5 mins to Kata beach (the busy side) and have dinner at Kata Mama grill, cheap, fresh, seafood and excellent thai food.
Besides the place being stunning, the service was excellent and very attentive. All our needs were catered for, every day we had fresh fruits, water and even a bottle of wine in the suite. For my birthday they even delivered a small cake with Happy Birthday wishes. We stayed in the Beach Wing Suite, which I highly recommend. We did not see the rooms on the other side, but there was some renovation going on.
The restaurant is one of the best in Phuket, serving Thai delicacies with a view over the Andaman Sea. Our package included one dinner, which we took for my birthday. Excellent selection and quality.
Overall one of our favorite places so far, we will certainly go back if we return to Phuket. Perfect for discerning travelers who like luxury mixed with Thai charm.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Beach Wing Suites and would highly recommend them.
Kuwait
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Thiis was I think our 7th or 8th stay at this hotel and without doubt our favourite place to go. This time we had friends with us and the four of us had a fantastic stay. Service cannot be faulted, rooms beautiful and comfortable and the whole week was a pleasure. A hidden gem.

Room Tip: It is not rally a hotel suitable for kids but somethimes they are there. If you prefer kid free as...
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2013

My friend and I came here for a week to get away from an extremely distressing timeat home. My friend comes here regularly but I had never been. From the moment I arrived I felt like royalty. All the staff were attentive, smiling and eager to please with great humour. I have never felt so looked after and they were in no way intrusive.
I have never felt such a huge amount stress from home disappear in just moments of being here.
All the villas are a distance apart so you really hear anyone.

Sme of the staff don't speak English and part of me thinks why should they. It's we that should try to speak Thai. Nevertheless they will always get someone who can speak. But I always try a Sawatdee ka/krup- hello to female/male and Kob khun krup or Kob khun ka for a kind of thank you. Try a little and it goes down well.

Everyone from breakfast to Dinner were delightful. A smile and nodding forward is a sign of respect. - I kept forgetting but no offence was taken.

I would suggest if you do ever feel dissatisfied be polite about it. The Thais don't respond well to aggression or raised angry, voices and this will be deemed offensive.

The food at breakfast is well made and you can choose your favourite fresh juice. Mines carrots and ginger. The cocktails especially at happy hour (half price) are divine especially at sundown.

We came late around 11 pm. The picked up up at the airport and they had complimentary food and drinks waiting for us as the kitchen had closed. Such a lovely thought.

The rooms are beautiful - the decor very Thai and i personally love That. I hope these aren't changed if they have any improvements made.

I'm writing this on my last day. I really don't want to leave such paradise. I'm lying by the infinity pool. Ah bliss.

There is two beaches nearby. The crowded Kata yai and the the quieter Kata noi. Both are good for many reasons. My friend and eye had many night caps in the pool and I think it was closed but instead of making a fuss, member of staff came down and sat quietly in a corner while we chatted and had our fun. That's service for you.

The food is delicious and due to the package we selected with two dinners and two massages each we took great advantage of this. The wine list is really something - mind you so Is the cost.

The spa is not pretentious but very calming. Now I'm one for high expectations and this delivered.

Last year I went to many hotels including the Ratcha and Naka island. Personally despite having an incredible fondness for Naka Island, Mom Tri's villa Royale probably pips it to the post as it has a bustling life down the street, and is much more of a boutique feel to it.

If available and not picking people up from the airport they will shuttle you down to anywhere in kata for no charge, which is useful on a hot humid day. Great service!

I can imagine all rooms are of just as spectacular as the others.

Do not hesitate to stay here. You won't be disappointed. I hope to come back soon and for longer.

Mom Tri's you are a all a credit to Thailand.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Claremalp
Washington DC
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We stayed here for four nights at the end of a month-long trip, and though sewers exhausted and looking forward to going home, Mom Tri's gave us the kat few days of relaxation and comfort that we needed! We had originally booked a Royale Wing Suite, but got an email a few days before that they were moving us to the Ocean Wing due to construction at the front of the property. They gave us a free 60 minute Thai Massage each, and 1800thb in Mom Tri's Kitchen credits for the trouble, which was really no trouble at all but very kind and appreciated.

The airport transfer was timely, with cold water and a cold cloth awaiting us. Our room was beautiful, overlooking Kata Beach, and had lovely turn down service (fresh flowers, little chocolates) each night. We got a bottle of wine in our room, and one of the attendants brought us a fresh flower bouquet when he learned that it was a honeymoon/anniversary trip for us!

There are lots of steps around the property, but it wasn't a bother for us; we liked being on, but slightly removed from, the beach.

The breakfast buffet was good each morning, though I definitely avoided the fresh fruit as it was just crawling with gnats (wish they'd cover it). We did eat at the Kitchen one night, and it was good but not as mind-blowing as we were hoping. Kata is one a short walk over the hill and has some good restaurants that are less expensive.

Should we return to Phuket Island, we'd stay here again!

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We spent 4 nights at Mom Tri's in late April 2013 and were very pleased with the choice. We had booked a Royale Wing suite but the on-line booking service told us 2 weeks before arriving that it was being renovated and we were offered a Beach Wing room, with a refund and 2 free dinners for 2 at the restaurant. We agreed, and even though we saw no sign of renovation happening anywhere, we were glad we did because the view from room 22 in the Beach Wing was stunning, and it was close to the pools and access to the beautiful Kata Noi beach. There was more than enough room there for us and a nice balcony.

The restaurant meals were good , as was the general service. We only had a couple of minor issues: first, having to ask 3 times to get some more pillows delivered, and second, the wifi access to the room became intermittent the last couple of days. My wife had a very relaxing massage which was well worth the money.

A pink book on Thailand in the room was a nice touch. This summarised in a very readable way, with beautiful pictures and illustrations, just about anything you would want to know about Thailand – the geography, history, culture, you name it. Well worth a look.

The Kata beach area is just a short walk north up and down a small hill, although we had to fend off ever-hopeful ladies at the roadside Sugar Marina restaurant on the way down. There is no footpath in places, but the cars, buses, tuk tuks and trucks all seemed quite mindful of the pedestrian traffic.

Overall, a lovely and relaxing stay, just what we needed on the way home after some hectic travel in the Middle East.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kata Beach
#1 of 34 in Choeng Thale
The Boathouse Phuket
The Boathouse Phuket
#5 of 56 in Kata Beach

Been to Mom Tri's Villa Royale? Share your experiences!