“Great stay at the Mom Tris”

Mom Tri's Villa Royale
Ranked #3 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Atlanta
“Great stay at the Mom Tris”
Reviewed 14 February 2009

While in Phuket, we called the Mom Tris and switched to them. The hotel is beautiful, and I have some of the prettiest pictures I have ever taken from the restaurant that overlooks the Andaman Sea. Everyone was very helpful and respectful of my elderly parents. The rooms were gorgeous. The PR person, Sylvie, was lots of help with arranging diving and with general help.

I think this is the nicest place I have ever stayed- especially for families. The only problem we noticed was dinner at the restaurant could have been quicker.

Stayed January 2009
1 Thank eyemdatlanta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Korean first
London
Reviewed 13 February 2009

We've just returned from a week at Mom Tri's and it was so wonderful and relaxing. I loved the hotel and the layout of it. You just can't see it from the beach - it's all hidden amongst the trees, unlike the the Kata Thani which sticks out like a sore thumb.

We didn't do much here but relax and enjoy treatments and it was perfect.

We stayed in a Beach Wing Suite and it had a wonderful view of the sea. Turndown every night with orchids on the bed and a dessert and some chocolate biscuits - we occasionally had red roses too. It always looked so lovely when we came from a day in the sun and the air conditioning worked brilliantly!

The food in the restaurant was delicious and the location superb. We had both lunch and dinner there and couldn't fault the quality and the service. In fact on the first night we had dinner there and I asked for the beef curry to be made with chicken and I have to say it's the best Thai curry I have ever eaten and I've had a few.

I love how relaxed and friendly the staff were and how comfortable they were with us - so much so that they thought my husband shouldn't have his own pudding as it looked as though he might have had a few already! I enjoyed that!

There are lots of steps in the hotel so it is definitely suited to the able bodied and I only saw one family while we were there. Everyone else was couples.

I can't really select one member of staff really as they were all so wonderful but a few stick in my mind: Oh - who gives a brilliant Thai massage and caused me to cry out in pain - I am all knotted though! Beer and Sae served us in the restaurant and were great fun. Patcharee sorted out our booking and was very helpful.

We also had lunch at the Oasis which is next to the Boathouse. They do great tapas and of course you just overlook Kata Beach.

A wonderful holiday and we would definitely go back

To all future visitors - enjoy!

Stayed February 2009
1 Thank Irene060
Crescent City, CA
Reviewed 8 February 2009

I was staying next door when I decided to see what the hotel next door was like. I was stunned at the beauty of this hotel and I immediately switched my accommodations. The rooms are elegant. The view of the ocean is fantastic and the food was world class. It is not cheap but it is worth it. I used to think that I had experienced the best. This was better than any previous experience.

• Liked — Too hard to choose.
  • Disliked — Slow internet connection
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Dohn H
Melbourne
Reviewed 8 February 2009

It is a great relief after flying in from Australia to finally get to reception at Mom Tri's and breathe in all the good air that the magnificent gardens provide. You know that the next two weeks are going to recharge you and you look forward to getting underway.
This is our third trip to Villa Royale and we know the rules, just relax.This is definitely not the place for anything regimented or too organised.If you want yoga classes and pool volley ball forget it, things like this don't happen at Mom Tri's
The rooms are all decorated in very stylish Thai prints and unique bamboo wall tiles with mammoth beds and parquetry floors .
We choose the same room each time which is set about twenty metres over a rocky cliff with magnificent views over the bay.
The waves pounding over the rocks provide a great soundtrack to a good nights sleep with the doors open onto the balcony .
Directly below our room and with access from the hotel via a very rustic set of steps is the main Kata Noi beach which is possibly the best beach on Phuket.
This beach streches in a wide arc from our hotel to bushland and rocks at the far end, the distance walking along the beach is about a kilometre.
Looking back from the beach to Mom Tri's you appreciate how its designer architect owner has blended its construction into the natural surrounds.The hotel is built around magnificent rocky cliffs and proud old meandering trees making it difficult to see from the beach.
The hotel grounds are full of lush tropical palms and magnificent tall trees with pathways and stairs to navigate between areas.Mom Tri' s is definitely not wheelchair friendly and unless you can climb stairs you won't see all on offer.
The main pool next to the outdoor cabana restaurant and bar has a terrace overlooking the bay which is as good as any Portafino has to offer. Lying back on a pool lounge with the barman Tommy keeping you cool with drinks, you cannot ask for a better place to be.
The Hotel has been built around the former residence of its owner Mom Tri who is related to the King of Thailand, needless to say it is one of the best locations to have built a private dwelling and we are fortunate as the public to be able to share the space.
One of the highlights of the property is the restaurant and bar.
The bar, manned by two fellows with the biggest smiles, Sae and Owen is up there with the worlds best .
Overlooking the cliff with views to the horizon and a great sunset, this drinking hole has an ambience all its own.
Full of teak and polished wood, draw up a bar stool and you expect Ernest Hemingway to pull up next to you.
After a few drinks go to the nearby restaurant with the same fantastic views and you are treated to a gastronomic extravaganza.
The menu and wine list is extensive and the quality of food excellent.
Not much Thai food is available as both Mom Tri's and its sister hotel the Boathouse pride themselves on a very broad menu catering to a wide European clientele.The restaurant is usually full of buzz and the glamorous patrons are usually fresh in from some far away place.
The maitre d, Moong , does a fantastic job gliding from table to table directing his staff like a well run orchestra
The rooms are always fresh and at the end of the day the beds are turned down, lights dimmed and flowers in place.
The staff are the best thing at MomTri's.They treat you with friendly respect the entire time.We have stayed at a lot of hotels in Phuket over the years, we never got to know the names of any personnel. At Mom Tri's we know everyones name and it makes the whole experience a lot more friendly and relaxed, like its your own home for a few weeks.I suppose if you did'nt want to get pally with the staff they would still treat you the same though.
So to summarise Mom Tri's is a sophisticated boutique hotel set on the most magnificent cliff with superb views, great rooms, great food and fantastic staff.
Oh, and they now have their very own PR lady to help promote the place, I don't know why they need her when they must get letters like this all the time.She was nice as well.

JJ Hunt
Melbourne Australia

• Liked — The unique ambience
  • Disliked — Towels too big
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 31 January 2009

My wife and I just stayed at two different suites at this hotel and overall would recomend. Any business executive or professional will like this place. The hotel has many things going for it; large well decorated rooms, great location and access to a beautiful swimming beach. The only down side is generall poor service levels that most people overlook. Its too bad its not better managed. The staff do very little unless asked directly or if a tip is involved. We looked at a few other rooms and the best value are the beach wing suites that are cheaper, slightly smaller and have the best veiws.

• Liked — Location and rooms
  • Disliked — Staff service
2 Thank MrBill_89509
australia
Reviewed 19 January 2009

We found this magnificent hotel through trip advisor. We had booked the Pool Suite expecting privacy within the outdoor area around our suite's pool. Unfortunately after a couple of days, any private intimate moments were spoilt by a staff member hiding in the bushes behind a fence watching our every move. When we realised, through catching sight of this person, (who we had greeted daily, in passing in and out of the hotel up to this point), we immediately complained to hotel management. Whilst the management team profusely apologised the damage had already occurred. Though I have fond memories of the location and the overall special nature of this property, we were very disappointed by our experience, leaving our view quite mixed, and my partner only recalling the disappointing episode.

• Liked — Unique location and restaurant
  • Disliked — lack of privacy
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Redditch, Worcestershire
Reviewed 14 January 2009

We ended our first visit to Thailand with 2 nights here. We had room 20 which was one of the Beach Wing Suites (I think these are the standard rooms). It was fantastic - everything the website said it would be, and the view from the balcony was lovely.

The hotel is built into the side of the hill and I counted 70+ steps from our room to the lowest sunbathing area - but this simply added to the charm - the different levels allowing for a great feeling of privacy and, although I believe it was full booked when we were there, it didn't feel it and we didn't really see that many people. No fighting for sunbeds or waiting for tables.

Would we come here again? - Absolutely.

• Liked — The views, seclusion and service
  • Disliked — Nothing
1 Thank bevandmark2
#1 of 34 in Choeng Thale
The Boathouse Phuket
The Boathouse Phuket
#5 of 56 in Kata Beach

Been to Mom Tri's Villa Royale? Share your experiences!