“Dreadful place”
Review of Sawasdee Village

Sawasdee Village
Ranked #9 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Very expensive for what is no more than glorified backpacker accommodation. Shower was a plastic hose pinned to the wall. Towels were threadbare. Mosquitos a real issue in what are cramped villas. Staff do their best but this place needs a real makeover. Baray villa is part of the hotel and may be nicer but I would not hold my breath judging from what I experienced for £130/ night....my wife thought £40/ night was the most she thought these villas should cost. We have travelled extensively in Thailand and I have rarely been more disappointed.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Cumrew
There are newer reviews for Sawasdee Village

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I picked this hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews. The hotel is off the beaten path--secluded and quiet. As you walk towards the check-in you will get a treat from the beautiful garden scent that surrounds you. The pool area is wonderful. Surrounded by gardens and a type of waterfall, it's so relaxing. You can relax by curling up in a swing to nap or read a book. The hotel is a bit of a walk to the beach and the main area, but we liked that since partying was not our objective. Plenty of restaurants, etc. on the same street. We had a garden room and it was very small by American standards. However, the rainwater shower was fabulous. Breakfast is also good. The entire place could use a facelift, it served our purpose well. The hotel did a wonderful job putting on a yummy buffet and fun show for New Years Eve.

Just an FYI, the entire beach area is very touristy--lots of Chinese and Russians. It takes one solid hour to get here from the airport. Good for one trip but I won't come back to Phuket.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 1livetowanderer
Reviewed 2 January 2014

After a busy 5 days in Bangkok and Chiang Mai, Sawasdee Village was a fantastic retreat.

Beautiful grounds, great breakfast (easily the best we had in Thailand) and very helpful staff, especially as I seemed to be locking myself out of my room every day! They also have free wifi which connected to the TV with a keyboard. It made me wonder why other hotels don't think to do this?

There are a lot of mosquitoes here, which is something the hotel of course can do nothing about. In fact they have good counter-measures by having a mosquito net above the bed and offering free repellent in the room. Luckily the only place we got bitten was by the pool where I didnt think they'd get me.

The only reason the hotel doesnt get 5 stars is that we had no turn-down service during our 5 nights, and one or two areas in the room could probably do with a bit of a re-vamp due to age.

Nevertheless I would strongly recommend staying here!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Skankmastertom
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Rundown on pros vs cons:

Pros:
-Good location, they have a shuttle that will take you to Kata beach or you can walk the 10 minutes. Plenty of places to walk around and eat.
-Beautiful pool area. This was the highlight of the hotel. They're pool area is simply fantastic.
-Staff was very helpful

Cons:
-The rooms just seemed.. a bit dated? Please at least replace the towels, the towels we used were turing grey already.
-Mosquito nets - they only work if they are closed off. Our net had multiple holes in it from rips/tears to openings at the top of the headboard where they just weren't sealed. The staff came by and sewed up some of the holes, but there were still some openings.
-Mosquitos' are an issue in Phuket (more so than Bangkok) but the grounds of the hotel seems to cultivate them even more. The grounds has a lot of greenery and water for them to breed. Each night we came back to our rooms and had to stalk some mosquito's.
-WiFi - room comes with WiFi, but our room 112, seemed to be out of range.
-Our room was near the road, so you could hear the cars drive by, but not a real issue for us. If you want a quieter area request a room away from the road.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed at sawadee village for 4 nights in mid jan 2013 and highly recommend it. The grounds are beautiful and offer a convenient location that is more secluded than many others in kata beach. It is within walking distance to the beach but also ran free shuttles as well. The buffet breakfast was excellent and the restaurant meal one of the nicest during our trip - banana fritters the best dessert we had by far. The rooms weren't large but the size of the 4post bed (which was extremely comfortable) made the room appear smaller. Mosquitos are an issue however the hotel are always on top of their spraying, the bed had a net and we have since sourced a better bug spray (bushmans). Finally the staff were always happy and helpful - we would stay again if revisiting Kata.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MissyandPete Q
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We adored this hotel--they got the important stuff right: breathtaking ambiance at every turn (the spa decor is incredible too), great location in the middle of everything but as soon as you step through the front door you feel as though you are in a secret, hidden world. Small room but again with everything to make you comfortable--I'll take a small room in a great hotel with a good location any day.

The fastest, best internet of our entire month-long stay in Thailand (not sure about the reviewer who said it didn't work, perhaps some user error there), including a TV that actually was hooked up to a MacBook. I was able to upload all the photos that had been stuck in a queue for the previous week, stream music from home, make VoIP calls, etc.

Yes, there are some mosquitoes (this is Thailand) but the hotel has quite a regimen to deal with them--staff light coils on every porch each evening, there are beautiful nets draped around the beds, and in addition to electronic mosquito things in the rooms, each guest is given spray and tiger balm for then they do get you!

All in all, we found ourselves repeatedly saying to each other "I think this might be one of my favourite hotels ever!" ...and I worked in the travel industry for a decade.

Oh only one minus: the pool is gorgeous, with an inviting pool bar...but the water was too chilly to enjoy it for long!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brendan P
Reviewed 31 December 2013

The professional pictures are far better than the actual.

First impressions of this Resort is that it is quite tired looking and needs a good lick of paint/varnish on the woodwork and loads of general maintenance. However, there are lots of little extras that make you initially feel they really try to give it a boost to overcome any shortfalls. This will work in some cases, some won't. Casa del Mar at Langkawi, Malaysia does this exceedingly well, but Sawasdee falls very short.

The difference is that Casa has impeccable service and nothing is too much trouble. Smiles at Casa are genuine, and staff always go over and beyond their call of duty to make your stay the most enjoyable experience ever, which is impressive. Sawasdee in my opinion is nothing like this.

What Hotel EVER, would make you sign an IOU for borrowing sticky tape to seal an envelope properly ?!?!?! This left a very sour taste in my mouth.

Having paid US$155 for a New Year's dinner evening I was extremely disappointed that the waitress chased after me to sign for 3 glasses of wine that I had during the course of the evening. There was no sauvignon blanc or champagne by the glass, only chardonnay or red wine, which was also disappointing. Food, music and dancing, a cocktail half hour that consisted of no cocktails, but a glass of wine before dinner, $155? They might respond it was unlimited beverage at this cocktail function, but how many drinks could I possibly skull in half an hour?!?

On arrival at the Resort my room was not ready which is no drama, as it seems this is the norm in Phuket, I appreciate they are busy and turnover high during this period.

Smoking.. on arrival having just said I would like the no smoking area for NY dinner, I was shown to the smoking area (because no one was there) for my first lunch while waiting for my room. No problem with this, until a couple arrived at the table next to me and lit up. I moved to another table. How can any Resort/Hotel of any high standing allow smoking in the dining area when there is a perfectly good area immediately outside? I view this as being very unfair to those who choose not to smoke.

The food was generally of a good standard. Breakfast however, was below average, and in no way compared to that of Amari, Cape Sienna, and Mandarava, which were all very impressively excellent.

Mosquitoes - I used the "once only" supplied repellant, and the staff do try to keep on top of deterring them. On walking around the Resort though, it comes as no surprise they are present, there are dirty, stagnant enclosures of water, everywhere. There is a sign on the door of your room that advises to keep door closed at all times due to mozzies and a note in the room that says "due to the fact that Phuket, Thailand is a tropical island, insects such as mosquitoes is one of the inescapable factor...". I had no problems at the other Resorts I stayed at and did not have to use repellant at all. The mind is a funny thing, even though I kept on top of the repellant, I still scratched day and night, perhaps from the warning signs and notes.

Internet was very good with free wi-fi and there was also a desktop with the TV acting as the monitor.

The rooms are well appointed with toiletries, cupboard space, powerpoints/mirrors, mozzie nets, reading lights, and most importantly a "no smoking" sign on the bathroom door, I made sure I didn't eat in there. The rooms are very small.

The pool is not large, but not small, and has a very basic, swim up pool bar. This whole area needs someone to be raking the pool and sweeping the decks more frequently. There are so many trees/shrubs in this area (all of the Resort), that leaves etc are everywhere, including the top and bottom of the pool.

Would I stay again? No. While the decor was initially appealing, there is far better value elsewhere with amazing views, food, and service.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Mom Tri's Villa Royale
Mom Tri's Villa Royale
#2 of 56 in Kata Beach
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa

Been to Sawasdee Village? Share your experiences!