“Great boutique option in Kata Beach”
Review of Sawasdee Village

Sawasdee Village
Ranked #9 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Reviewed 4 January 2009

My family and I stayed at the Sawasdee Village last March and found it to be a beautiful, unique hotel. The property and grounds truly provide a calming osais from bustling Phuket. The staff, restaurant and spa are all great. The rooms are small but clean and nice. There are a ton of bugs (which is not the hotel's fault) so be sure to bring your bug spray. The location is the only thing that is just "okay". The hotel sits on a side street and isn't very close to anything in particular. It's a decent walk or tuk tuk ride to the restaurants in Kata or Karon Beach. Also, the main issue we had is that the Club Med take up the ENTIRE Kata Beach with a huge concrete wall blocking everything else from beach access. That said, you have to walk around it to get to the beach. As a result we didn't really feel like we were at a beach destination staying at Sawasdee Village. I would highly recommend it for the price and uniqueness - however I"m not sure we'll return as Phuket wasn't our favorite place in Thailand. We will go back to Koh Samui or try Krabi and Koh Chang on our next trip. Still - if you want to go to Phuket and need an affordable, nice option I'd recommend Sawasdee Village.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sawasdee Village

Reviewed 29 September 2008

This is a real gem in this overexploited island. The staff is wonderful, the garden and all the flowers are cosy and welcoming. Really good spa and a nice poolbar. The rooms are a little bit too small, but cosy. And i like the balcony outside the rooms. Every day the staff is arranging the flowers, feeding the goldfish in the ponds and making this a relaxing and pleasant place to spend your holiday in. This is not a luxury hotel, but the staff is really helpful and caring. The breakfast is OK, but not fantastic. This must be one of the best places for a honeymoon couple on a tight budget.

• Stayed: January 2007
Reviewed 16 September 2008

I arrived at Sawasdee Village after a 13 hour journey from Bangkok. It was during the protests so the airports were closed and the only option was a rental van.
Sawasdee welcomed me with open arms, despite it being 3.30am! As soon as I walked through the gates I relaxed, the sound of water features surrounded you, vines and orchids surround the fountains and the koi in the ponds welcome you to your room. I was travelling on my own but I could immediately see this would be a perfect romantic location or honeymoon.
The rooms are beautiful and large - thai teak furnishings, gorgeous toilettries in small terra cotta pots and beautiful mosquito netting round out the experience.
The breakfast buffet is fabulous, anything you want they have to offer - beautiful tropical fruits, omelette/egg station and lovely breads and rolls. You can fill up on breakfast and then just enjoy a light lunch at one of the many beach restaurants. I highly recommend Kata BBQ, on the far end of the beach - about a 10 minute walk and worth the stroll in the sand. Spectacular curries and cocktails while you can sit back and watch the surfers. The kiosks along the beach offer fresh fruit shakes for about a dollar each - perfect for the warm afternoons.
Just down the road from Sawasdee there are a few massage places that also offer laundry - 40 BHT per kg. I had a huge load from my travels in China and Bangkok and the whole batch cost me $6.
Sawasdee Village has the most spectacular spa - the Baray Spa. I picked a 3 hour package and was soaked, massaged and relaxed by a very talented thai woman. I have been to many spas around the world and this by far surpassed them all. Massage tables draped in thai silk, elephant fountains next to your plunge pools and orchids everywhere.
I cannot recommend Sawasdee Village highly enough, I can't wait to go back and am telling all my friends not to stay anywhere else!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 June 2008

Absolutely sensational place to stay. Very quiet, set off the street, with a grand entrance through a tropical garden to the reception area. There are two types of rooms - pool view and garden view. The pool view is literally right on the pool (although these were all closed while we were there), however the garden view were exceptional with your own verandah out the front with lounges where you can enjoy the serenity of the place.

The staff were exceptionally helpful with mosquito coils placed in front of your room every evening (there are quite a few about as a result of all the water running through the place), and the huge bed has a beautiful mosquito net around it, which the staff prepare for you each night. The pool is also amazing, with a nice swim up bar.

There is an excellent little cafe across the road from the hotel called the Tangmo Restaurant. The staff here are very cheery and the food is great quality and very cheap.

It was only a short ten minute walk to the beach, and the hotel also provides a free shuttle bus if you need it. The thing we loved the best about this place was just how quiet it was (we stayed here on our honeymoon) and I would highly recommend it for couples.

Will definitely be back here again!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank smitben
Reviewed 31 March 2008

This hotel is absolutely beautiful - The grounds are so beautiful and calm - I could have stayed for days and days. The staff are very polite and accommodating. The restaurant is delicious - The spa is AMAZING!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank katielizz
Reviewed 26 March 2008

I am writing this review whilst awaiting a flight from Colombo to Male for the final part of our honeymoon. Sawasdee Village was the first part of the same and we stayed 6 nights there. Firstly this is our second trip to Thailand. We travelled to Bangkok and then Koh Samui 2 years ago and absolutely loved the people, the weather (apart from a monsoon in Samui) and the food and couldnt recommend Chaweng (again in Samui) higher. We thought that we would give Phuket a go and went for the Sawasdee Village as it had been well recommended. Now to the property. It is simply an oasis of calm within what can only be described as "a toilet" of a resort. As soon as you set foot inside its grounds an overwhelming sense of calm comes over you. Don't believe me? Try it for yourself. The property is small and intimate. Not for kids, absolutely not, as they shatter the peace of the place. It is authentic thai at its best. The restaurants vaulted ceiling is impressive as are the hundreds of coi carp that swin around valleys cut into the property. We had a garden bungalow and we would recommend this if you want it a bit quieter, the carp are outside your door (under a little drawbridge) and you can feed them at all hours of the day, soothing as well, again try it if you dont believe me. The staff were very courteous and the food at the restaurant was probably the best we had whilst there. I say probably as both my wife and I succummed to food poisoning after just a few days, mine due to a dodgy episode at Peach Hill and Lynne, well it could have been the restaurant at the property itself but we werent sure. Suffice to say neither of us were well, which brings me to the reason for the 4 stars. The Sawasdee Village itself was excellent. Only gripe was that if you get noisy neighbours you really know about it. Our russian friends had a blazing row at 4am. Nice. Not. The rooms adjoin each other so this is likely to happen if you get unlucky. The resort however.....

As I say we have been to Chaweng before and loved it. Phuket had more tailors mithering you than I could shake a stick at. Tone it down lads, if I wanted a suit I would ask for one. Also there ARE Go go bars which of course is unwanted. Chaweng had none of these. Also the restaurants in Chaweng were fantastic and very stylish, I thought Phuket was a bit chavvy really. Sorrry to anyone who loves it and Kata Beach.

Anyway would we go again? Possibly, if Sawasdee Village moved to Koh Samui!! We will never go back to Phuket.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David L
Reviewed 14 March 2008

Booked this through Agoda. My wife and I (in our late 20's) enjoyed staying here. Most of the other guests were probably in their 50-70's, so it was a quiet resort. The rooms are laid out like bungalows. The most important feature of the rooms is the mosquito net and bug spray. Because there are water features everywhere (along every pathway, including right outside your door) including large coy, there are mosquitoes everywhere! Ask the frontdesk for an electric mosquito racket. The restaurant is beautiful with high ceilings and a beautiful elephant feature in the middle. The complimentary breakfast is above average, with fresh fruit and lots of juices. The pool is nice, but not very deep. Its fine for soaking and watching the flowers on the trees. The swim-up bar was nice too. This resort is quite small, with maybe less than 50 rooms available. If you are looking for a beach resort, this isn't the place. You need to walk about 15-20 mins to the beach, or take a quick taxi to the beach (3-4 mins). Kata beach is gorgeous! Karon has some great restaurants.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Mom Tri's Villa Royale
Mom Tri's Villa Royale
#2 of 56 in Kata Beach
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa

Been to Sawasdee Village? Share your experiences!