“Kata Thai - not what it was”

Katathani Phuket Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We came to this resort about 9 year ago and had a fabulous time - hence our return.

As before we stayed in a Junior Suite, refurbished since our last stay - rooms fine not so much of a wow factor a bit cheaply finished off. But they were clean and the bed was very comfortable.

The Pools & grounds are kept to a very high standard, the beach in nice the sea very clear, if you want to be on the beach 2 sun beds & brolly only 4 Bart.

The food in the main restaurant was ok breakfast was fine, don't think much to the staff running around shouting "Tea Coffee" then it's slopped into your cup ( ask for a pot of Tea) I feel the staff training has gone down - just not as slick as once was. Eating in the evening again ok - but if you are a real foodie and eat out in nice restaurants you might be disappointed, they are catering for many different tastes, but this should not reflect on the food. I have stayed in Hotels that produce exquisite food even when catering for many.

We ate in the Italian Restaurant a couple on nights - so nice and relaxed staff lovely.

I feel that things have slipped at Kata Thani, we had just flown in from Hong Kong staying at The Manderin Oriental this was WOW amazing - Staff/Food could not fault (all down to training ).

I notice that quite a few reviews talk about the food, Kata pls take note! You are in such a beautiful part of the world, I would love to say I would return, but will most likely try somewhere else.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jeanette111
Katathani1, Guest Relations Manager at Katathani Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear Jeanette 111
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and provide a review of your experience with us.
I am glad to hear that you found our bed comfortable and clean. Thank you also for your kind compliments towards our Italian restaurant La Scala.
However I am sorry to hear that your second stay with us didn’t meet your expectation compared to the first time 9 years ago.
Please rest assured that your feedback regarding food and beverage in our restaurants has been brought to the attention of our Executive Chef for his consideration and future improvements.
I hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back to “the Shores of Serenity” for your 3rd stay.

There are newer reviews for Katathani Phuket Beach Resort

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Everything is in the title.

It was our second time at this hotel and second time again to go to Thani wing in deluxe rooms... First time we were there, rooms were a little old but still ok on standard level.
Now they are just looking sad, walls are painted in a pale grey tone with very small place for storage, a very simple and not luxurious shower, a small sink with toilets right close to the entrance.

We were very very disappointed because we paid through travel agency (a robbery I suppose) more than 600 euros each night each room (breakfast included).
It is an average 4 stars hotel but certainly not a 5 stars hotel.

We had diner at New year's Eve: they tried their best as hotel was completely full (and it is a huge one) but when you get too many guest, you can't offer a very refined and quality food.

One positive point : massage every day on the sun bed in the gardens for a very cheap price (but average quality - not real thai massage- and masseuses are lazy, they prefer to do mani or pedi, and they do massage for about 35-40 minutes instead of 50 minutes).

During this period, hotel is full but I need to say that most of the clients are very quiet. Many come from Russia, Europe and Australia. All are very quiet and atmosphere is very casual (except for New Year's eve but hey, girls wanna have fun).

Next year, we will definitely go back to Kata Noi beach as we love this place, but we already booked 2 marvelous rooms at Mom's Tri Villa Royale, as we used to have lunch there every day during our stay and we definitely found a more suitable place for our high maintenance taste.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Katathani1, Guest Relations Manager at Katathani Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear Jasmindesiles
Greetings from The Shores of Serenity! Thank you for your review.
I am truly sorry to read that your second stay at our resort didn’t meet your expectations, as well that the renovated Deluxe room didn’t satisfy you.
We would like to inform you that the Deluxe rooms are located in the Bhuri Wing, not in the Thani Wing.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our local Massage service in the garden, and that you thought the price was fair. However, I’m sorry that you found the massage staff lazy. I will be sure to inform the Spa management to address this behavior.
I hope that you had a safe journey back home and that you will come visit us again.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Our stay here was for convenience, as we were attending a wedding at this resort. We booked 2 Suites in the Thani wing. The "suites" definitely need to be renovated again! We have stayed at much nicer resorts for less money. The food was good and the staff were friendly, but the stay was average.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank NBTraveller870

Dear NBTraveller870
Thanks for your review, and your compliments towards our staff.
Please kindly be informed that our Junior Suites have been completely renovated last year.
I am sorry to hear that you rate your stay as average, and that our hotel didn’t meet your expectation.

Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Had a fab 14 nights here in first two weeks of feb 14. Breakfast was fabulous with everything from boiled eggs to curry with rice. We were never disappointed. We stayed in Bhuri wing and it was good. Very clean. Our only critism was drink prices at the hotel. You can spend quite a bit in two weeks.a fifteen minute walk uphill leads u to a much busier area where drink prices are more competitive.overall a great holiday and I would definitely recommend the hotel.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Katathani1, Guest Relations Manager at Katathani Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2014

Dear Shan0404
I am delighted to read your positive comments of your recent stay with us.
Regarding your one area of concern about our drink prices, as we do offer fair prices during the day time, adapted to the prices sold at the beach, and we offer a wide variety of soft drinks and soda, beers and spirits.
Thank you very much for recommending our hotel and we also hope to welcome you soon back to The Shores of Serenity for another great stay!!

Reviewed 21 February 2014

I was traveling with my two children, 15 and 13 years old. The resort is rated as a five star, but I would like to give four stars, not more. The Junior suite was small, but clean; the third bed was little. The bad news is that all the rooms in the Resort had a terrible smell of humidity, listening my friends too. Otherwise place, swimming pools, beach and restaurants were good: service at the Bars was excellent. I don't know if I will return in such a resort: but it seems to me that all hotels and resorts in Phuket are overrated.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear attongo
Thank you for your review.
Your compliments towards the service provided at the Bar is very much appreciated.
I am also happy that you and your children enjoyed our swimming Pools, the beautiful beach and all our restaurants.
However I am sorry that our accommodation didn’t meet your expectation and that you found a smell of humidity in the room.
Our Executive of Housekeeping has already been informed about it, and will be looking into this matter. I am sorry for the inconvenience caused to you

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We booked the Junior Suite and based on recommendations we read in TripAdvisor, requested for the room at the Thani wing. It was a very nice, clean, modern room, and we could look out to the ocean from the room and the terrace.

We took transport from the airport. It wasn’t a good experience. They advertised a certain price and promised that transport would take us to our hotel. After a short drive however, our minibus stopped at a place and the agent there asked all the passengers to pay more to get us to our hotels. We all felt ripped-off; a few people got really angry. It was definitely false advertising. In addition, the driver was rude and drove uncomfortably fast. Going back to the airport at the end of our stay, we booked the car from the hotel. It was definitely a lot more expensive, but the driver was nice, and we happened to get the minibus all to ourselves.

Our room rate included breakfast. It was just so-so, not the top quality breakfast that I have experienced in other top resorts.

The resort is huge!! Basically Kata Noi area is dominated by this hotel only. Six pools, big nice gardens, and six restaurants. We ate grilled seafood at the hotel’s Fisherman’s Wharf. It was excellent and the price wasn’t too bad (by resort standards). We also ate at Mom’s Tri Kitchen, a top-rated restaurant at the Villa Royale, but found it highly overrated and overpriced. The food was mediocre. But the view and ambiance were breathtaking.

The wireless internet was quite a pain. They have free wifi but different logins for public areas and the rooms and it was unstable. We needed to keep logging-in as we moved from one area to another.

We tried the spa massage. It was very good. We also wanted to get the massage at the garden, but we never got the chance because the ladies were all booked and there was no way to get advanced booking. There was no official way to get in line. That was a bit frustrating.

There were lots of Russians. Actually, the whole of Phuket seems like little-Russia. There were many street signs and shops in Russian. Unlike the experience of many travelers however, at the hotel, we found them to be polite and quiet and very family oriented.

During our 2-night stay, my friend and I pretty much did not get out of the hotel at all, which is unusual for us, but we wanted to really just chill and take it easy for a change. The beach and the ocean at Kata Noi where the hotel is located are simply the best! The beach was clean, the sand was soft and white. The ocean was clear blue, no corals or plankton and perfect warm temperature. We had to pay to use the beach chair, but we are used to it as in many beaches in Bali we had to do the same thing. It was cheap and the price was set so no need to do any haggling. We have been to many places in the world, and we regularly go to Bali. We can honestly say that the beach and the ocean are just perfect and were truly our highlight of the place.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Katathani1, Guest Relations Manager at Katathani Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Maura-Soeparjadi
I am delighted to read your good review, and very happy that you liked our Junior Suite with the amazing sea view. Thank you also for your kind compliments towards our Fishmerman’s Wharf restaurant, indeed our fresh Seafood is very delicious.
The beach and the ocean in Kata noi are unique in Phuket, and I am happy you fully enjoyed it.
Your comments regarding the Internet connection log in procedure, has been brought to the attention of our IT Team for consideration and further improvements, thank you!
I wish you a great time back home and hope to welcome you back to The Shores of Serenity in the near future!

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Let me open this review with This is NOT a 4* resort throughout,
From the surly staff at the totally second rate reception, to the damp, dark tatty rooms and all I between. Please be aware the Bhuri wing is barely a 3* but with 4 star prices
Once I had witnessed the desperate room they had reserved for me I asked to speak to the manger....Jakob eventually appeared and eventually!! Changed our room, I am aware the Guest relations manger is very quick to respond to posting on here...so It's a shame when my issues were made clear to the manager he/ she didn't seek me out to hear my grievances.....not very 4 *
I could go on ...there is a list of issues with this hotel that fall short of any 4* rating....
From the ridiculous 1 pool towel policy that you have to carry around in a bag and leave outside your room at turndown......the corridors are full of wet dirty towels...I have never seen anything so tacky!!!...and so far removed from 4*
No free wifi in your room.....really???
Come on Katahani you will need to drag yourselves up a bit, especially as Jakob was so proud to tell me they had hosted The director of the Shangri la group the previous week.....when I joked with him I bet he wasn't in the same room as me.....he replied 'oh no!!!!! ....'.(Not very classy!!!)
And do please be aware the rooms really need a total upgrade they are so sad...and there is a hideous smell of drains throughout the grounds at the Burhi wing...again Jakob's response to this....'Oh I must be used to it by now!!!'
Ok no need to say anymore ....be aware before you pay 4* prices for this place...

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Valerie A
Katathani1, Manager at Katathani Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear Valerie A,

Your quick review on TripAdvisor and your suggestions for improvement have been well noted.

Without going into detail I must admit that after having taken care of your concerns, arranging for you a suitable accomodation option and trying my best to make you feel comfortable, it is very surprising to read your comments, taking my words out of context and presenting it here in this way. Despite your assurance to me that you are thankful for all arrangements and having received the option to call for me personally on any given occasion, it seems that we still did not meet your expectations for which I like to sincerely apologize.

Nevertheless, I very much hope you had a relaxing time in Phuket and enjoyed the beautiful beach of Kata Noi for the time being here.

With kind regards,

#2 of 328 in Patong
Kata Beach Resort and Spa
Kata Beach Resort and Spa
#27 of 56 in Kata Beach

Been to Katathani Phuket Beach Resort? Share your experiences!