“Not what I expected but turned out good”

Katathani Phuket Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Stuttgart, Germany
“Not what I expected but turned out good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2009

I selected the Katathani after reading all the great reviews posted here on Tripadvisor and was under the impression this was a five star resort. I have to be honest, I was not very impressed when we first arrived. It is definitely only a 4 star resort. (We also just came from a super nice 5-star hotel in Chiang Mai....The Ratilanna) We stayed in the Bhuri Wing. The rooms are decorated nicely and are hygenically clean, but the rooms look older and have stains in the showers and just seem like they could be scrubbed down a little better. HOWEVER, the resort itself is very nice. The are many beautiful pools, bars and restaurants....and it is beachfront. We stayed at the end of July 2009 and the waves are too strong to even get in the water though.

There are also many great resturants right outside the entrance to the hotel. I especially liked the little coffee shop right in front of the hotel sign...Good cheap food for like 100 Baht. There is also a massage place that gives great massages for only 300 Baht right outside as well. Just a short 15 minute walk or a quick tuk-tuk ride will take you up the hill to Kata where there are many bars and restaurants.

Overall, the Katathani turned out to be a great place and I would definitely go back.

1 Thank alohagirl2001

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (897)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2009

Staff very friendly and helpful. Rooms excellent cleaned regularly, fresh towels etc. Smoking rooms available. Food at the resort restaurants was very good about 750 baht per meal but there are restaurants just over the road which were very good and very reasonable - about 100 baht per person - thai beer is good - the reggae bars on the view point in Kata were worth a visit at sunset although in July we missed it because it got very cloudy. Construction noises were not a problem at all - didn't hear a thing even though they were working late. Would come back again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank purplemini
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2009

Hotel & service
- Hotel has a great feel throughout
- Room needed some work but was comfortable and quiet, good facilities
- Pools were great; drinks by the pool were awesome!
- Great service everywhere and plenty of smiles, helpful booking day trips etc.

Location
- Great location - feels relaxed and quiet
- Plenty of restaurants and shops just up and over the hill
- Great for taxis - four or five guys always waiting just outside the hotel
- Beach was beautiful, but too rough at this time of year to swim

Bars/Restaurants
- Tried a couple of the restaurants though a few were closed for refurbishments
- Italian restaurant La Scala was amazing - we had a set meal included in our stay and were delighted we spent it there. Top food, service (had the place to ourselves including piano player!), very classy
- Happy hour gets the bars buzzing but otherwise pretty quiet and always easy to get a drink by the pool
- Plenty of great restaurants in walking distance

2 Thank KBalson
Drouin, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2009

Our group of 17 spent 10 glorious nights at The Katathani (we range in age from 15 to 51).When we arrived at the resort, we were welcomed with a drink, a cold towel and a garland of pretty flowers. As the Bhuri Wing was being refurbished, our accommodation was upgraded to Junior Suites in the Andaman Wing overlooking one of the pools and the sea and we couldn't have been happier.

The Junior suites were very clean and spacious. I felt the bed was a little too hard for my liking so the next morning I ticked a card on my bedside table asking for a softer mattress and that night I had a much more comfortable sleep - housekeeping had addressed my problem immediately. Another word on housekeeping, the maids who cleaned my room each day did an amazing job. A few times when I came back to the room I would find pleasant surprises in the form of towels shaped as animals on the bed. When we arrived it was 2 swans on the bed and then a few days later we found an elephant and then some more birds. We also had rose petals shaped as hearts on the bed and a fruit platter and cakes as a welcome gift. These were really nice little touches that made our holiday more memorable.

We all enjoyed a sumptuous breakfast each morning and the staff were very friendly and attentive, walking around offering countless cups of tea and coffee.

Most days were spent lazing on the sun lounges looking out to sea or swimming in the pool. A few of the boys in our group hired surfboards and spent many happy hours surfing on our beautiful little surf beach. Many in our group enjoyed having massages, foot scrubs, manicures and pedicures pool side.

A highlight of each day was congregating at the Coconut Bar between 5.30 and 6.30 for Happy Hour and singing along with the Tri Star Band.

We only ate at two of the restaurants at the resort, La Scala (Italian) and The Fisherman's Wharf. All of our meals were magnificent and we really enjoyed dining at the Fisherman's Wharf as the restaurant was situated overlooking the water.

I could not fault anything about the time I spent at the Katathani. I thought that it was a great value holiday and it was a perfect vacation for our group!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Maranth
fareham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2009

Before you go.

There were questions i needed to ask before i went and i struggled to find the answers so thought i would write them here to help you out.

1. Power adapter for rooms. Adsa do an Asia adapter for £1 we bought this its the two flat prongs but the hotel do have some.

2. How much is it going to cost to eat out locally, despite all the talk that you can eat for 20p if you want to and that a meal for 4 will cost you £6 I struggled to find this, basically its like having a takeout at half the price locally. there were about 5 local resteraunts to the hotel literally just outside. your going to pay around 120 Baht for a thai dish which is around £2.30 rice is going to set you back about £.60p the thing I didnt expect was the cost of alcohol. I thought its going to be cheap but its not. its around £1.50 for a coke sized can of local beer for a bottle of corona around £2.20 for local spirits your looking at 100 Baht a shot which is around £2.

3. Local Shops,and resort resteraunts Katahani is located just over a small hill in a place called Kata Noi. its a good sized resort town but i limited by seven eleven (One Stops) tailors, resteraunts and bars. I didnt find any souvenir (Decent ones here) but its worth eating here on a night out. it is right that the hotel resteraunts are expensive but the way we looked at it is the people that go there do have a little money and when dont worry about it the hotel makes their money. out of season we got money off coupons for 250 Baht per person on set buffets which brings down a buffet night to 500 BAHT each £10 considering that you can eat great food out as a couple with one child for around 500 BAHT then 1000 BAHT a night was a little steep considering local prices. Wine and drinks in the resort just were not priced well if you wanted a non alcoholic Iced drink like a slush puppy this set you back over £4 if you wanted alcohol in this then that was £5. its not great to be on holiday and thinking that you need to cut back on the drinks particulartly when the slush puppy was syrup and over the road for half the price they made it with fresh fruit.

4. Taxi service. I found this to be really steep and theres no room for batering unless you find a guy you want to use for the whole stay. to walk over the hill into kata then this is going to be gruling in the heat. i really got caught out. its only a 10 min walk but i walked in shorts and tshirt in the midday heat and nearly passed out. )Beer helped) but for a taxi to take you this 1/2 a mile costs you £3 do this daily return and you putting on a cost of nearly £80 just to go back and forth once a day for food. My recomendation to you is to hire a moped.

5. Mopeds I was worried the moment i arrived about the traffic and sad hell no im not getting on a moped. but I quickly learned 6AM - 8AM is rush hour cars and mopeds shipping kids to school is NUTS. if you hire a moped as I did with Wife and 3 Year old standing on front you will quikly realise that its very safe. cars all keep their distance from you and give you a wide birth in order to pass. and they only pass when its safe. hiring a moped will set you back 200 baht a day which is £4 if you decide to use this form of transport your really going to get out of the hotel and have real fun. you can reach Phuket and Patong in 15 Mins on the Bike and stop anywhere you want when you want to. normally costing you for a day around £30 a day to be looked after unless you get a guy to look after you.
I can recommend the mopeds supplied by the Blue Lagoon which is a little store as you walk out of the resort and to the left. the owner is a guy called TEE and his beers and drinks are a little cheaper. rivalling other local shops. if you speak to this guy about a moped and how many days your going to have it. expect to pay 300 baht a day for a bike thats newer and 130cc which you need for your familly. he will take your passport and get you to sign a waiver that you have to fork out 80,000 baht should you loose the bike. dont fret about leaving your passport nor signing this form hes not going to screw you over. even though thailand is renowned for fake this and that. I was worried from day one as you never know but he really looked after you. remember helmets are the law in thailand for the rider. you can chance it but in towns expect to suddenly be stopped to hand over 300 baht as hundreds of locals without helmets zoom past.

Rooms at Katathani

in previous reviews your told of rooms being damp and cocroaches and bad smells and the beds being hard. and building work all of which are true but for a valid reason.

If guests leave their balcony doors open and the aircon on then moisture will gather in the room. this leads to damp and its hard to control as the area really is so humid. this is emphasised by hotel staff to keep the doors closed. we stayed in a junior suite and when we arrived this was the case but we realised the resons and this is no reason to lower the standard of the hotel.

yes the beds are so hard. I had an awful nights sleep the first night followed by morning massage. but there is comment cards. if you tick the my matress is too hard. then the next day your blessed with as many mattress toppers it takes to make your nights sleep comfortable.

Ground floor rooms are subject to a cochroach or too every other day. but dont crush them as this leads to problems bringing in more. just chuck them outside. you dont get many. if you dont like it. get a top floor room.

We stayed in the Junior suite and this was loverly. for the last weekend we upgraded for 1500 BAHT a night to the Royal Suite which had a loverly bathroom area and seperate toilet and is located in the wing furthest from reception. this room for the price was something just a little extra special. worth it? YEP!

Food at the resort

Allthough over double the price of a local meal you cant fault the breakfast or buffet service it was fantastic allthough having the feel of many chinese and indian buffet resteraunts in the UK and you were pretty much paying the same price.

The fishermans resteraunt was really nice the fish of exceptional quality. we really enjoyed this.

Room service was very prompt and was 24 hours so if you fancy a thai green curry then its around £6 to get this to your room which for service is good least your not paying for a £30 burger here.

Drinks at the bars were around £4 a drink and wine at the resteraunt was miniumum £25 I simply didnt touch the wine as 1600 Baht a bottle which was £30 for stuff you knew you can buy in sainsburys at £6 just didnt take.

the staff are very respectfull and a joy to be around they do really wait on you.

Spa and Massages

When we first got there by hearing that the massages were reasonable upon going to the spa you are greeted with a drink and a great host then look at the prices. not being funny it probably is a great experience but I already work at a top spa in the UK and what I pay in the UK was cheaper than this place which is a shame. to have a couples massage was bordering £120 when in maldives i spent around £25 for a great experience. there a pool massages by staff every day and a pedicure costing £3 and a 50 Min massage costing £6 this didnt break the bank and was a very relaxing time. the main spa however for the same treatment although private was around £30 for a basic hour massage. we then found a little place to the left as you walk out of the hotel towards the hill called familly massage. They offered Thai massage for 1 hour at £4 in your own curtained booth. really great and for a holiday you just can say hey i fancy a massage and just go without worrying. if you have kids hey have their feet and nails done for £3.

Tours

I looked at the elephant tours and reviews of the ZOO and decided I dont want to do any of them and hate circus shows. BUT PHANTASEE seriously! just go. i dont need to describe it Just go!
Im the sort of person who hates tours with other people and feel for next to nothing i want to just do that something a little bit exlusive and you think you want all the vip elephant rides etc. Dont! I found Siam Safari to be very very good. and for a child of 3 the 4 in 1 safari was just enough. you seriously dont want to be on an elephant for more than 30 mins your back canes (Back to the massage, what a conspiricy) its clear that the animals here are cared for. the other places we visited where elephants were at the side of the road chained to trees and locals beconing you in. (It was not nice) so try to get Siam safari 4 in 1 book this with TEE again at blue lagoon. as its rare to find place so close to a resort that charges the local price. the final tour we did was june bahtra trip on the JUNK this beat hands down any other boat. in thailand with all the fantastic lush green islands do you actually want to zip about on a modern speedboat? or a bournemouth to Poole ferry? Nope this junk offered you authentic pictures a dip in the ocean and sail up on a windy day for proper sailing. food also onboard was awsome the guides really friendly and the toilets very british on a boat! this set my familly back around £80 for this day but so worth it. children under 4 on any trip are free so if you dont go to TEE ensure that they dont say there saving you money on a child ticket.

Souveniers.

I hunted hight and low for authentic items all through phuket town and patong and found nothing. to the point we were sick of being asked if i needed a suit. or massage it was so annoying as you do feel sometimes its all about money every 5 mins. people selling you things. you do have to put up with the conversations like the charity workers in the street engage you in before your asked to step in and look to buy a suit. there so easy to notice these lads. there in plush shirts and black trousers. stuff you would never wear at home and swept back hair its funny. we really were stuck in the last days deciding that we just were not going to buy anything and say sorry its the same old crap you buy at home. until the last day. we stopped by Mcdonalds and Starbucks in Patong and if you walk past mcd theres the first little alley you come to. which has everything we needed. here we spent around £100 and got everything for everyone and enjoyed it and felt we had some good stuff. one thing particular to note is that if you have seen an amazing bit of artwork at home for say £1000 that you will never afford. print it out on A3 if you can and any artist will copy it in patong like for like at a fraction of the cost. IE £50 there very good artists.

In all we had a really good time. we rode on mopeds, elephants. got told to pay to have photos with monkeys and falcons and realised we were paying more than a souvenier some places you walk away from saying darn it we got ripped of but the places that look after you and your familly outweigh anything else. we prob would not go back to this resort purely because we get out to much and you can easilly backpack here for max £12 per night for a plush hotel room and just travel yourself.

PLEASE IGNORE THE WIFE! you dont need to pack for yourself and their army in 14 days i got by with a few shorts 2 pairs shoes and a few tshirts. if you dont pack much then go out and buy a suit and some brand names you can get a billabong tshirt for £4 its like buying off ebay. I would recommend this hotel for famillys there were lots for my little girl to play with and everybody particularly the Aussies are very familly orientated. we all really enjoyed it. the only thing i would say to the hotel is drop your buffett to 350 Baht per person and youll have people eating there every night. drinks will sell more if you dont get stuck to measuring your drinks out to the last mml and hating the fact we bring our own drinks from over the road into the hotel. its a shame when you see myriads of foam boxes holiding take out food over people eating in your hotel. Id like to just say thanks for the staff and how your definietly looked after and understand why people do return if their thing is to stay around the pool but its just not my thing and when you do get out there and can get out there on your own steam. you really feel like ou have done lots on your trip. explore your own resteraunts. get taken in by the streets and what they have to offer. you will have a great time here and it will be what you make of it.

I hope this review gives you an idea of the area and hotel and helps you decide that out of the other hotels in the area his really is known by the locals as one of the plushest.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
7 Thank Niggyweb
lincoln Enland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2009

The hotel was absolutely lovely, the junior suite was very clean well decorated with confortable bed, we stayed in the Thani wing on the third floor looking out to sea, . some of the sun sets were excellent. Staff were equally impresive, I agree there English was not good but this makes things more interesting but meals and drinks were always executed with a happy smile. Hotel massages were very good and cheap..Beer was very good Chang beer is 6.5 %so be warned
Hotel food was also very good, especially the breakfast buffet, The restaurants just outside the hotel were equally good food , but alot cheaper with the main meals being only 80 Baht if you like Thai.
Try the Mobile BBQ,s whist your out and about in Kata, they are good fun and taste good as well.
If you like walking as we did, try going up to the restauarants above the hotel on the way to the view point, also just a lttle further on foot is Elephant trecking plus a good cheap bar to quence your thirst afterwoods. This was quite a surprising find whilst out walking as we were not expecting this as no mention or signs on route or at hotel, the Elephant guide actually got off and let me ride up front whilst he took pictures this was a bit scary, but unique.
You can see a huge Budda sitting on the hils above Karon, this is worth a visit then move on to Temple in Chalong , A Taxi wil be pleased to sit and wait whilst you saunter around or shop as there is a smal market at the temple (agee on price before leaving hotel) but can be very cheap if you bargain hard.
I agree the sea was a litle agresive at times but was always very clean and very warm.
Only complaints we have would be if the drinks and food were cheaper in the hotel the atmosphere would improve as ther are some excelent bars and restaurants around the pool, but people would rather get the same beer chilled from the shop next door at a 30 Baht rather than 60 on the beach or 120 at the Bar.
The walk from the hotel to Kata is only about 10 min but is does burn off some calories and saves you 150 baht each way. Patong is well worth a night out, but you have a lot better chance of negotiating the taxi fare down.
We would deffinately reccomend this resort and hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank aldylaw
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2009

Spent 9 nighst here and must say it was every bit as good as I would have hoped or imagined. Fantastic manicured grounds on an almost deserted beach well away from the maddening crowds, yet close enough to walk to the action spots in Kata.
A few shops / restaurants outside on the street if you don't care to go into Kata or Patong. A great family hotel to take your kids. Buffet breakfast had ample choices for all cultures.

1 Thank Buick54
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 319 in Patong
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,194 reviews

Been to Katathani Phuket Beach Resort? Share your experiences!