We were looking for a quieter, couple-oriented resort, and wanted to avoid the larger chains. Aspasia is located up a hill just off the main Kata commercial strip, almost all the taxis won’t know it, so get the meter taxi counter at the airport to help with directions.
The 1-bedroom seaview suite we took was spanking new and very large. Cosy bedroom with sliding doors, bed had comfy pillows but was too firm, not in the nicely supportive sense, but in the bruised-hips-when-lying-on-side way. Major problem with light – the room would never be dark due to the blinds on the bedroom windows letting in lots of corridor light, on throughout the night.
Shower area (no bath) integrated with the wardrobe, charming, but a tad too small compared to the rest of the room. Water pressure and heat wasn’t sufficient for the rainforest shower – more like a damp forest drizzle. Kitchenette was well kitted out and clean, living room amazingly large with a huge sofa, recliner and a great seaview. Would make a perfect long-stay option!
The shock came when we decided to visit the beach – you have the choice of a hazardous walk down a steep dirt trail, or a 5 minute hike down the very steep hill (and a highly strenuous one up in the searing heat, after!!). Not something you look forward to before/after lazing at the beach! Definitely a must-note for those expecting to spend much time at the beach – you have been warned!! Beach was typical Phuket public beach style – vendors hawking deck chairs and tuk-tuks/motorbikes buzzing around, motorboats in the water etc, so don’t expect a pristine white-sand, clear-water beach. Not too crowded though.
Dinner was surprisingly good at the resort restaurant, good Thai food (catered to Western taste of course, like most we found in Phuket), pricey as expected, but delicious and high quality and great service.
Overall we felt this excellent value for money – Phuket isn’t cheap and this offered four-star quality with some rough edges at a fraction of the price at major chains. Perfect for couples, but only if you don’t need the beach…all other negatives were minor niggles and overshadowed by the sheer tranquility of the place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Recently created in the south of the island of Phuket, The Aspasia is a stylish boutique resort reflecting an unusual retro-deco design with hints of Mayan style architecture. The muted yellow and green hues of the buildings blend exotically with the colours of the lush forest that sweeps down to Kata Beach. Each secluded apartment has stunning sea views, and guests only have a two minute walk to the white, sandy beach below.With the accent firmly lying on tranquility, comfort and contemporary style, The Aspasia Phuket offers a choice of superior accommodation and facilities that includes restaurant, a wine and cigar shop, two swimming pools, a gymnasium, business centre, meeting room, high-speed wireless Internet access and spa. Original paintings and antiques are displayed in the spa, restaurant and lobby, complementing the style of decor. There is easy access between the twelve buildings and facilities forming the resort. The property is set amongst beautifully landscaped gardens, filled with colourful tropical planting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Aspasia Phuket reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Aspasia Phuket Hotel Kata Beach
- Aspasia Phuket Kata
- Aspasia Phuket Hotel Kata
- The Aspasia Phuket Kata Beach