“AMAZING AMAZING! Even on a budget!!!”

Sugar Marina Resort - FASHION
Ranked #31 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Reviewed 14 May 2009

A little gem or not so little with rooms at 40sqm! As backpackers we were looking for somewhere cheap in Kata Beach and this was surprisingly the cheapest we could find at the time! With a deal of 3 nights for the price of 2, we were living in luxury for just 800bht a night (£16). This also seemed to include a full buffet breakfast which was rather tasty and was enough to fill our bellies till teatime!

The rooms were stunning...very modern light and airy. Each with a balcony overlooking the large swimming pool area.

Cable tv with plenty of channels to keep us happy when it was too hot outside!

Mini bar, wi-fi, a large bathroom with separate shower and a bath with sliding doors opening onto the bedroom, meaning you could enjoy bath-time and watch the telly at the same time! Brilliant!!!

You also get your own DVD player in the room and the hotel has a free DVD library for you to choose from. Not forgetting the free internet and wi-fi iff you bring your own laptop.

We ended up staying here for 2 weeks and would definitely return.

Great location, just 2 minute walk from the beach and right in the centre of town.

Perfect for couples, families....anyone really!!! Can't recommend it enough!!! :)

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank havemonkeywilltravel

Reviewed 9 May 2009

Upon arrival we was instantly welcomed by a bell boy relieving us of our burdening luggages. From outside the hotel you already sense a contemporary and luxurious vibe and after entering you are greeted with the spa and swimming faulty, which was very inviting. To our luck, we got upgraded to the Deluxe pool view room and this room was huge, clean and modern. The room provided pretty much all the amenities you can possibly need from hair dryers to bathrobes. Internet access is available at the lobby and a decent & tasty variety of breakfast choice options is provided every morning.

The location of this hotel is directly opposite the beach...roughly a mins walk. It is also surround by varies bars and restaurants but karon seems slightly more livelier when we passed it on the bus. Speaking of which, you can travel to and from Phuket town via the local bus. Take the bus from an open market (cant remember the name but can be easily found on the internet) to hotel, it take about 30mins and costing at 30BHT per head, just let the driver know where you are getting off and they will drop you off outside. Remember the last bus from Phuket town ends daily @18.00 because some taxi will try and con you by saying its already ended when its only...17.00.

All in all, i felt for the price i paid and the quality i recieved, this hotel was outstanding and sincerely recommend it to anyone especially to couples!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2009

I just returned from Phuket 24-28, will like to share my experience.

The negative point when I checked in the hotel said i need to pay for 1 pax bfast as I only pay for 2 twin sharing room ( i booked 2 twin room for 3 pax each from Agoda but only 5 of us travel). I dont know whose fault is this as the hotel keep us waiting for 15min but nevertheless they let us check in and upgrade our room to deluxe)

The taxi fare to Town or Patong is 400B one way. The food was rather expensive as it averages ard 150-200B per meal. I would suggest we go to 7-11 for cheaper meals.

Plus point
The hotel is clean, & the staff was ok. But the bad thing is that the swim pool is fully cover from sun. The swim pool comes with a jacuzzi & very clean. The hotel breakfast was good as it serves: - omelette, sausages, ham, spaghettis, fruit juices, bread and alot of other stuff.
The beach here is not too crowded as at in Patong and the water is clean as I could see my own feet when i m in 5 feet deep.

Overall, i will comeback for this hotel again as the price is really affordable and the benefits do overcome the negatives..

From Kay & Gerrard, Klang Malaysia

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gerrard73
Reviewed 17 April 2009

I have to say I booked Sugar Palm after visiting the hotel's website, which promises it to be "A cool oasis in the warm tropical sun" and "boutique luxury lifestyle hotel". I found it to be none of the above.
The hotel is located on Kata beach which itself is extremely busy and crowded area of Phuket. Such location may work for some. It did not work for me. The place is overcrowded with package holiday makers and has nothing of traditional tranquil Thai vibe that I have found in other places across Thailand. The atmosphere in the hotel reflects that. All public ares /eg swimming pool/ are very noisy and busy. Forget about chilled-out loungy session with your book at the pool. You will be lucky to find anywhere to put your towel. The pool is located in the hotel's inner courtyard so there is hardly any sun there. Also, most of the balconies are poolview so having a swim feels a bit like being on stage. On two occasions /and I stayed there for one night only/ I have seen cockroaches the size of a small mouse near the pool.
The room itself was small and dark. The balcony door /which was the only window in the room/ was facing balconies in the other wing of the hotel so again very little privacy. Bathtub in our room, which was supposed to be the main feature looked worn uninviting. Furniture might hace been "ultra-hip" and "stylish" some time ago. Now it looks simply dated and tacky.
Booked the hotel in advance for one week. Checked out after one night. Did not like it at all. To be fair I have to say the staff were extremly friendly and all spoke fluent English. They seemed really concerned when I was checking-out earlier, which was very nice. This sort of holiday is not my piece of cake but I understand it may work for some.

Reviewed 9 April 2009

My partner and I stayed at the Kata Resort and Spa for 4 nights at the end of March. All in all, I must say the hotel is what it is...a 3-star. On some occasions you may be convinced it more of a 4 star (Concierge service was great and 24-hr free internet access was a huge bonus!) then on other occasions you may say it's a fair 3 star hotel. First of all the hotel is ideally located on the south-west of the island, about 100m from the oceans edge on Kata Beach. The staff provided any assistance necessary, nothing more, nothing less. The buffet breakfast (included) was satisfactory. Come on, it's a buffet! Very friendly and attentive Coffee man included! Also, at the hotel they have a nice "day trip" desk, offering a large variety of day tours. We did not take any of these tours, but did take advantage of the 250 baht rate on a 24-hr motorbike rental. I, like many tourists, was terrified to surrender my passport. At the end of the day, the risk was worth it, plus the bike is more valuable to the company than your passport! I would highly recommend it, as renting a motorbike is the best way to see the Southern tip of Phuket; secluded, winding roads through hills and jungles, each corner reveals a new breathtaking view and the most pristine beaches. The cost of such a rich vacation is cheap and at the end of the day, returning to Sugar Palm Resort and Spa was a pleasure, offering a great shower, air conditioning and cable TV to rest after a long day! I would not hesitate to do it again! Thanks Sugar Palm!

1  Thank Panda1986
Reviewed 1 April 2009

Only complaint hot water wasn't working when we got there. Fixed very promptly.
One of the service desk girls gave us wrong directions to the bus stop which was 50 metres away, but that was more annoying than anything else. All the other staff were really friendly and very obliging.

Room was very nice especially after being in a sandy bungalow for a week.
We paid 2000 baht per night for a superior room. It had shower and seperate bath, king bed, safe and dvd (free rental dvds) and tv with tea/coffee and bar fridge.Aircon worked really well, not loud. Really comfortable. Rooms cleaned every day.

Reviewed 17 March 2009

Expected more based on reviews here and on several related websites.
We have stayed there for three days, had a pool-access room, that was comfy, spacious, and probably at its time of construction, well designed.
But the hotel in general, the room, the pool, the staff has gotten rather tired, lacking maintenance, attention to detail, faded, is the right word.
As a general rule in Thailand, once a hotel or building reaches a certain number of years, no attention is paid to maintenance, upgrading, simple, but visible details.
OK hotel, well located, but I expected more for the money.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple