“Chique, trendy relaxing paradise”

Sugar Marina Resort - FASHION
Ranked #29 of 55 Hotels in Kata Beach
Reviewed 27 August 2009

Sugar Palm Resort and Spa is a beautiful place to relax and enjoy the beautiful reosrt of Kata. The hotel is extremely contemporary and has a bright and clean feel to it. The pool area is lovely, with a wooden decked area that leads into a jaccuzzi poll and the main pool. The staff are friendly and very helpful. There is free internet and DVDs to hire and watch in your room.
The rooms are beautiful. Very contemporary colour scheme and very spacious. Guests are provided with complimentary robes, flip fops and umberellas should the monsoon rains decide to make an appearance. Daily bottles of complimentary water are left in the room. There is a fridge with a mini bar and the drinks are very reasinably priced.
There is a tv with pleanty of English speaking channels and dvd player. The balcony is a reasonable size and most rooms onlook the pool.
Breakfast was included but was a slight dissappointment. This was the only thing that was not so good. It was in the Mali Restaurant which was open fronted. This meant that the whole place was swarming with wasps. Its was not an enjoyable experience. Most of the food was covered but the wasps were all over making it hard to get to the food that you wanted.
On a whole the hotel is fantasic value for what you get and I would definately go back should I return to the beautiful, chilled Kata Beach resort.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank j-ro1980

Reviewed 24 August 2009

i knew about this place from phuket.com last year but my trip was cancelled due to unforseen circumstances... i made it up this year and the price was cheaper compared to the last!

the location was awesome.. it was less than 5mins walk to the beautiful kata beach. staffs at the hotel were very friendly and accommodating - they serve with a smile!
amenities at the hotel... well, let's just say they have everything you need there and it's just so convenient! loved the thought they put into creating this place! the balcony was perfect for my smoking boyfriend and i really enjoyed the hairdryer hung on the cute dressing area. thumbs up!

but the best thing... was the dedication of the staffs.. for example; i arrived at the hotel at 9am whereas the check-in time was 2pm.. the staff at the reception actually found a room for us to be checked in at 10am while we headed out to the hotel restaurant for breakfast! they even upgraded our rooms because there was an availability at that time!

it made my first thailand trip a very memorable one and i can't wait to go back there again!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vilim
Reviewed 13 August 2009

I was on a honey moon with my husband and one of our destination points was Phuket/Thailand. We've booked this hotel via croatian agency who organized us whole trip in South Asia. The agent higly reccomended us this hotel, as a value for money, good location,...etc.

Before trip, I've checked the hotel on Trip advisor and saw some negative comments which made me thinking, but my travel agent convinced me to stay in Sugar Plam.

In short: very friendly staff (thanks to the kindness and understanding of the nice lady on the reception who found us king size bed room at the arrival ,disregarding the fact that our agent didn't booked it properly), closeness to the beach (one of the beaches). Those were good things.
Things I didn't like were: the hotel is 20-30 min by walk ,from the small city (even though there is tuk -tuk or taxi everywere but you have to negotiate price for 15 min of driving, which is exhausting), the swinming pull is not at all glamorous and spacious as it looks on the photos ( for me it was rather small and not inviting), rooms are not so comfortable ( for me, the bed was nightmare), ( in our room some dirty moisture smell was present) , air conditioning blows directly to the bed,...breakfast is really awfull.

All together, my rating is 3 and I don't think that I would go there again, but in Phuket I'll return whenever is possible because it is beautifull place.

I do hope that my comment would help you in chosing the best hotel for you.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ZezaZagreb
Reviewed 9 August 2009

My family loved this hotel! Just a 5-min walk to lovely Kata Beach (no steep climb), which is perfect when you have young kids along.
The hotel staff were very warm and friendly, especially with our kids.
The deluxe pool view room was lovely, roomy enough for 2 adults and 2 young kids.
The free DVD rental and free WiFi in the room (bring your own laptop) came in very handy with the kids, esp. during our first day in Phuket when it rained the whole time.
Buffet breakfast at Mali Restaurant next door was ok (just remember to put anti-mosquito).

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank leasj
Reviewed 25 July 2009

I was amazed to find this hotel as it was so cheap. It was only £12 per person per night for a deluxe pool view room. As soon as we arrived the staff were very polite and dealt with any queries.

I admit the hotel isn't well situated if you fancy some nightlife, but a 10 minute walk to the north of Kata beach doesn't hurt and there are plenty of bars, restaurants and a mini golf - or if you fancy a ride to patong beach (the nightlife central) it will only cost 400 THB (this is the lowest price they bargained to) for a tuk tuk or taxi.

Sugar palm is well situated on kata beach - just two minutes walk, and the MALI restaurant next door is strongly recommended.

If you're having trouble finding the sauna and the steam room, they are directly under the spa. Steam room to the left and sauna to the right.

This hotel is worth staying in, i could not find a fault!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank stuiesk
Reviewed 22 July 2009

I loved this place. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was gorgeously decorated, all the rooms have unique colour themes. We were on the 2nd floor and our balcony overlooked the pool. There was a window in the bathroom so you could see the tv from the bath. The buffet breakfast was delicious, as was the attached restaurant. The location was perfect, right at the middle of the town, surrounded by shops, restaurants, massage places etc, and about a 5 min walk max to the beach. Because we stayed for 5 nights we got a complimentary tour which saved us almost $200AU. I cannot wait to be back to phuket so I can stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2009

We stayed from 24 June to 3 July 2009 and enjoyed it very much, the beach is very close only a short walk, The resort has great breakfast options to choose from, free internet 24 hours a day, dvd in rooms, very kind and willing staff who were happy to help you. The pool is very clean.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family