“This is a decent hotel in a good...”

Sugar Marina Resort - FASHION
Ranked #33 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Reviewed 11 August 2010

This is a decent hotel in a good location, steps from kata beach. Don't get too excited: the rooms are cute, but it's not as fabulous as their website or lonely planet would have you believe. Breakfast is included and the pool is nice.

1  Thank sissymoore

Reviewed 5 August 2010

Stayed here for my 1st 4 nights in Phuket. It's located smack in the centre of Kata Beach - which to me is has the better beach compared to Karon or Patong. Plus, it's less crowded and less sleazy compared to Patong.

Saw it being recommended in my Lonely Planet's Thailand's Islands & Beaches guidebook. Everything described in the book is true apart from the plasma screen TV and bowl of fruit! The TV is just your normal TV and there was no bowl of fruit. But there was definitely a sweet fruity welcome drink that came with a huge chunk of ice.

It cost me 4525THB for a pool view room inclusive of breakfast - booked through www.latestays.com.

The room is clean with plenty of space. Bathrobes, towels, safety deposit box, dvd player, slippers, bath foam, hairdryer, shampoo and conditioner were provided. So are the minibars and complimentary coffee/tea. Every room has a balcony and mine was as, I had booked, has a view of the pool.

I feel in love with the hotel the first time I steep into my room! Such a waste though as I was travelling alone at that time.

The lobby area has a complimentary computers with internet connection for the hotel guests to use. There's about 7-8 computers - if I remember correctly. Some travel literature is also available at the lobby area.

A tour agent is also available at the lobby area - but my advise is to check out the brochures and prices first as I later found out that the ones that I had booked were a lot cheaper on the street! Meaning, you can actually bargain for the published price on the brochures! Duh! But hey, mai pen rai!

The beach itself is just 2-3 minutes walk away - directly in front of the hotel.

I would give this hotel 5/5 but there is actually another chain of the hotel called the Sugar Palm Grand Hillside (or sometimes just being referred as Sugar Palm Grand) which is just literally a couple of minutes away that is better value for money - I know as I stayed there upon my return from Koh Phi Phi. The review should follow later.

Hotel official website - www.sugarpalmphuket.com - but my recommendation again would to look to other websites for reservation as it's normally cheaper.

Read more: http://www.myspace.com/misspreciouschinadoll/blog#ixzz0viU45oFI

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
4  Thank BonnieBenjaSim
Reviewed 28 July 2010

I stayed at Sugar Palm for 9 days in August 2009, and had an excellent stay. Breakfast was good, cleaning very good, room spacious and staff were very friendly and service minded. Quality on the TV wasn't to good, but who cares, it's a holiday destination, I'm not spending my time in front of the TV anyway.

Nice location: A short walk to the beach, shops, 7-11 and lots of restaurants in the area. Easy to find transportation, but I don't recommend tuk-tuks, they are very expensive compared to other locations in Thailand, and you don't feel safe as most of the drivers seems to hurry to get rid of you as soon as possible. You will get a normal car for the same price as tuk-tuks...

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Terje D
Reviewed 27 July 2010

Me and my husband stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. First of all I would like to mention that the hotel is really chic. It was a pleasure staying in a pool access room. the bathtub, tv and dvd were also plus. Only the mattress was a kind of pain...
But one of the greatest thing about this hotel is its restaurant. Please try its Greek Pizza, you will not regret :)

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GULHD
Reviewed 21 July 2010

We stayed at Sugar Palm Resort for 4 weeks, beginning in the middle of June. We booked two weeks first, to check out the hotel, and then extended our booking after a few days.
This will definitely be the hotel we will stay at on our next visit to Kata!
The hotel consists of buildings on both sides of a short dead-end street. The first buildings are the oldest part of the hotel (here you will find the "Superior rooms"). The bottom floor of these buildings contain the Mali Seafood restaurant, the "Natalie 2" restaurant and some shops.
The buildings at the end of the road have the "Deluxe Pool View" and "Deluxe Pool access" rooms. Between these buildings are the reception area, the pool and the Spa building. I got the impression that these last buildings are the newest part of the hotel.
We got two "Deluxe pool view" rooms at the 5th floor (the top floor). We got the rooms side-by-side, with a connecting door between (which we had not ordered, but it was a nice touch by the hotel - Thank you!).
Actually, I think we got the best rooms in the hotel! Being on the 5th floor, there were no disturbances. From the small balcony we had a view of the sea and of the pool area.
I have read some less favourable reviews of this hotel, but they seem to come from people who stayed in the "Superior" rooms, that is, in the older buildings.
The "Deluxe pool view" rooms are simply great. There is a short hall, with a cupboard for hanging clothes and which contains a safe with code lock. There is a mini bar/fridge, a set of tea and coffee making utensils. The bedroom is quite spacious, with a sofa (which I presume can be made into a bed). I and my wife had a double bed, and the teenagers hade two single beds (as we had requested). The entrance to the bathroom is through two large sliding glass doors in one room, and through a door in the other room (there the glass doors were between the bath tub and the bedroom). This means that you could lie in the bath and have a chat with people who are in the bedroom. Nice touch!. This arrangement also gives the bathroom a spacious feeling. There is a separate shower, which provided a sufficient stream of water. There was no separate hand shower.
The airconditioning was ok. Not much sound, just a low humming sound which was quite soothing. When we arrived the airconditioning in one of our rooms didn't want to start cooling, but the receptionist called maintenance staff which got it working in a couple of hours.
The beds were quite firm, and we are used to softer beds, but we slept very well.
There is a desk in the bedroom where it easy to use your PC. The hotel has a WiFi net which is free for guests, just ask the reception for the password. I also found several WiFi nets with the hotels name which were completely open.
There is a flat-screen TV and a DVD player.
The "Deluxe pool access" rooms are on the ground floor. Each has a small area the size of the balconies and from this a gate to the pool (directly to the water). On the negative side the pool access rooms have less privacy then those on the upper floors (the people in the pool have a direct view of your bedroom, unless the curtains are drawn).
The pool is good, with a jacuzzi part and the rest with a depth of 1,5 meters. There is a good shower.
Most days we managed to get deck chairs for all four of us if we went down to the pool before 11 am.
Breakfast was a buffet in the Mali restaurant on the ground floor. There was one or two kinds of soup - some of them delicious, all of them good. A selection of thai dishes, french toast or pancakes, crisp bacon, ham or chicken sausage, a buffet of basic salad ingredients so you can mix your own salad, with a select of three dressings, various fruits - all very fresh, cereals, yoghurt, a toaster, croissances, a collection of sweet cakes and buns or muffins... There was an egg station where a chef prepared filled omelettes or other egg dishes. We really enjoyed the breakfast.
The staff was very nice and helpful, and very professional at check-in and check-out. Luggage was handled securily and efficiently.
The location was excellent - the hotel is right in the middle of the Kata Beach area, so you have everything you need nearby - Seven-Eleven for your water bottles and other basic stuff, and a short walk to several good restaurants (we visited "Natalie 1" a few blocks away for every lunch, dinner and snack - really good food). Just a few minutes walk to the beach, right where there are a couple of good beach cafes.
We have tried other hotels in Kata and Karon, but this hotel is the perfect combination of reasonable price, good quality and good location. In short - this is the hotel we will stay at the next time we visit Kata.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank sebofo
Reviewed 20 July 2010

We spent just over two weeks at the Sugar Palm Resort, Kata. Our room was on the 5th floor,very spacious & modern. TV & DVD player in room. We overlooked the pool which was always refreshing to swim in after a day at the beach. Coffe & tea facilities & hair dryer. Cleaning staff were always friendly & happy to help with anything.
Reception staff were always welcoming . Breakfast was enough to satisfy. Internet facitities near reception & comfortable lounges. Arranged for taxi to airport thru hotel when we did a couple of nights trip to Chiang Mai. Very easy same as when leaving to come back to Australia organised thru reception. We also arranged for a second key which we paid a deposit of 100baht & it was returned when we returned our keys at the end of our stay. I would definately stay here again in th low season. CJ

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chuckyJellie
Reviewed 18 July 2010

We loved our stay at SPR, it was clean, the staff where very friendly and helpful. The access to restaurants, shops, money exchange, beach and shopping made everything easy and no hassle. The breakfasts where great......and the mojitos where great too. Fabulous place and would totally recommend anyone to stay there......this really is great value.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family