“Good stay near Kata Beach”

Southern Fried Rice
Ranked #2 of 60 Kata Beach B&B and Inns
Paris, France
“Good stay near Kata Beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed there 2 days this august. Weather was bad so we didn't get out much. The hotel keepers are really nice and helpful which I'd say is the best about this hotel. The room was great as well, absolutely no noise, comfy for a cheap hotel too. There were only two bad points: some clothes had run onto the others, and we had troubles on the bus we booked from the hotel to get to Surat Thani, the ride was total hell and in addition we got robbed just like everyone… Minus that our overall stay was good!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Thai first
katikati
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

From the begin our experience was nice, enjoying lovely meals at the restorant ( the best Chicken cashews nut that i tried in my stay in Thailand ) , we stayed 6 nights at this hostel. Everything absolutely clean and really safe, such a big room and bathroom. Nice breakfast at the morning, good company and interesting talking with the owners, really cheap scooter rental. They are always helpfull, definetly a good place, can't wait to come back. Good location close to the beach and everything around. In resume : Lovely stay, totally reccommended

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

Nice place, liked the kitchen, if your vegetarian make sure to tell the chef!

Nice owner aswell. all good!

I was solo backpacking and didnt like phuket very much, but kata is a nice beach and all the other accomodations around where meh.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

I had a great stay at Southern Fried Rice a few weeks ago. The room that I booked was unavailable, but the owner put us in a nicer suite for the same price. Free breakfast and pool table were also pluses.

• Stayed August 2013
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

Taxi driver had a little trouble finding the place and ended up dropping us outside the night plaza and leaving us to our own devices. Saying that if you ask to be dropped at the night plaza it is really easy to find. The plaza itself is nice and away from the road, Kata itself is a great place and the perfect base from which to explore the island.

Hotel was good over all. Had some trouble with communication when we asked for help booking the local bus to Bangkok instead of the tourist VIP but apart from that they were friendly and accommodating. The rooms are decent, clean and decent sized. The bathrooms are also good and spotlessly clean.

The pool table downstairs is a nice touch.

Room Tip: We had room one and there was building work going on outside the window. It didn't bother us but...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joadify
Rock Island, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights in September 2012. Terje, the guesthouse owner, is great! He sent for a driver to pick me up at the airport, and even called my home phone to confirm the time. He is a very interesting and knowledgeable man. He took me out shopping with his son and we played many, MANY games of pool together. He can book you trips for a discounted price and even drove me around the island a couple different times. He offered that if I ever needed an emergency taxi he could call his driver for me.

I never felt alone during my stay. There are always other people staying there to chat with. I unexpectedly made a friend with an Aussie guy staying there.

The food is good at the restaurant. I believe you get free continental breakfast. However, the price of water is much cheaper at local convenience stores in the area than it is from any restaurant! Save yourself some money!

As others have said its a 2 minute walk to the beach. You just exit the guesthouse, and walk across the street and there's a path that goes directly there. It's a very lovely beach, especially if you visit during the low season like I did.

The guesthouse also has three computers with internet that you can use for free as a guest. I didn't bring a laptop with me and these computers were my connection to my friends back home.

Did I mention that my ATM card wasn't working and that Terje waited over 48 hours, letting me sleep in the room, before collecting his payment? That's right, he granted me a FREE bed and meals, while trusting that I would pay him back. Furthermore, whenever I ate at the guesthouse restaurant he would have the kitchen staff "add it to my tab". And then I would pay for a couple night's rent and several meals all at once, whenever it was convenient to me.

Terje is a great guy, and a world champion of sorts at speed chess. I was amazed at how comforted I was in his presence, being an introvert and relatively inexperienced travelling. I think anyone who stays here will feel like they have a true friend caring for them and willing to help out and do and share whatever he can.

I highly recommend staying here. Even though I was in Phuket studying abroad for 4 months, the first 5 days that I stayed at Kata beach in Terje's Southern Fried Rice Guesthouse are among my favorite memories.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

After a bit of confusion at check in we were shown to our clean, spacious room. Great air-con and
a comfy bed.
There were tiny ants by the sink and in the fridge (which smelt awful, probably because when you take the key out the power turns off-including the fridge).
Our safe broke but we were told 'we were just doing it wrong'.
Really friendly woman who seemed to be running the place and nice to have the option of fruit and not just toast for breakfast.
Sadly when we ate at the restaurant the food took an hour (no exaggeration) to come. The food was nice but the dishes came at different times.
The friendly woman booked our onward travel, which was really easy but we were told the wrong pickup time so could have missed the bus-not sure who was at fault there.
Great location but beware the airport mini-bus doesn't know where it is so make sure you have info to hand.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple