We stayed three nights at Southern Fried Rice above Kata Beach. Our amiable and assiduous host, Terje Hoff, provided extraordinary service and, for Phuket, pretty good value. His airport pickup went smoothly, and was a godsend in chaotic Phuket.
The half a dozen rooms above his restaurant were tidy and quiet. The hot water was hot and the air conditioning was cold. The WiFi was mediocre, same as everywhere.
The prices in the restaurant were the best in the neighborhood, and the Thai food was good. His is the only restaurant we have ever seen with both a pool table and a chess board. Terje is the chess master and and his seven year old son is the pool shark.
The location is convenient to the beach, which is a wide stretch of soft beige sand with a nice row of trees separating it from the low rise development behind. Unfortunately, the walk down runs for 150 meters along an open sewer.
Our only quibble was with the breakfast, included in the price. It was continental and though the bread was not white as it is so many places in Thailand, most hotels in this price range (almost $50 US) at least give you an egg. But this is Phuket, so maybe not.
The best thing about our stay was the conscientious way Terje dealt with problems. The first night, our A/C dripped like a waterfall. Terje had his handyman out in a couple of hours. The A/C leaked again, but that wasn't Terje's fault.
Terje also arranged transport for us to Kao Lak, our next destination, but it turned out to be a scam. The minibus that was to deliver us to our hotel 100 kilometers away instead took us to a local bus stop, put us on the public bus, and pocketed the difference.
Terje complained for us to both his tour agency and the minibus company, but they wouldn't admit their fraud, so he took money from his own pocket to make it up to us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Southern Fried Rice is a recently established guesthouse situated at Kata Beach, the most beautiful beach on Thailand's idyllic Phuket Island. Moments from the beach, and featuring spacious, clean, comfortable rooms, modern en-suite bathrooms, outstanding Thai and international cuisine, free wi-fi high speed internet and many more attractions, Southern Fried Rice is the ideal hostel from which to explore Phuket. We have PC stations in our property and it is Free of Charge as well. There is a top quality pool table, 42' plasma TV screen with surround sound and a computerized sound system with all your favourite music. For intellectual stimulation we are hosting the Phuket Chess Club, with frequent blitz tournaments and we are planning regular Thai language lessons. There is access to Kata Day Spa, and a great variety of nightlife available within walking distance of the guesthouse. We also hire out motorcycles for the more adventurous to range out over Thailand's biggest island. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Ctrip TA so you can book your Southern Fried Rice reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Southern Fried Rice Hotel Kata Beach
- Southern Fried Rice Phuket/Kata Beach