“Nice Country Pub”

The Gamekeeper
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Welcome to The Gamekeeper, a family run business with over 50 years catering experience between us. We offer truly delicious food, real ales & fine wines served in the relaxing bar, in the warm intimate dining room & in the pretty fenced garden - weather permitting. There is also a large brick & timbered hall which is ideal for private functions, meetings & very special occasions.Located on East Anglia's largest village green, our 17th Century Grade II listed pub overlooks the pastures & ponds of Old Buckenham. We are situated 14 miles from Norwich and 9 miles from Diss.
Ipswich, UK
“Nice Country Pub”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Called by here for lunch on friday. We had not booked but got a table without any problems. Friendly service with a standard menu and some interesting specials to chose from. The food we ordered for the main course was served promptly and was very good.
We enjoyed it so much that we could not resist having a desert as well and again this did not disapppoint although that did seem a litle slow in arriving.
The pub itself is pleasant making good use of it's historic features to provide a pleasant ambiance.

• Visited May 2014

Eye, United Kingdom
“Revisiting a Favourite”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I hadn't visited The Gamekeeper for a few years, for no particular reason, but decided to book a table for four persons for lunch two weeks ago. I was very impressed with the standard of food, two of us had the vegetarian option, which was delicious, the other two had fish and rabbit also very good. Although there were only two other tables taken on this occasion there was still a nice atmosphere and I shall certainly go there again. .

• Visited April 2014
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Prawn Cocktail - Needs Attention !!”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

The Gamekeeper

We were invited to dinner at The Gamekeeper, and all reports were very positive. The Bar area was rustic and very welcoming, after drinks we were show to our table. I had ordered the Prawn Cocktail with Avocado, yes a little bit 1970’s but one of my all time favorites. My friends had gone for scallops, another pork belly, all looking very nice indeed.

My starter looked a little sorry for itself, almost desperate, my friends dishes were presented well, mine was just lonely, it lack creativity and the green leaves were bitter and the Avocado just did not have the right texture.

Served with one piece (quarter) of brown bread and butter. (Hint to Chef – back to school on this one, you really need to improve this dish by 98%).

I had chosen Rib Eye Steak for main with onion rings, chips and green salad, my friends had a combination of Sirloin Steaks, and Risottos, all which were presented well. It could have just been bad luck by my Rib Eye did not feel hot; this could have been the addition of the garlic butter direct from the fridge that had had the affect on the Steak. However the Rib Eye was Rib Scrawny rather than Rib Eye.

The chips were very pale, and could have done with a second fry, a little disappointing. On a positive the onion ringers were superb!

The deserts looked absolutely delicious, I had the Cheese and Biscuits, when will restaurants learn it needs to be presented with a little more flair, the cheese was acceptable, the biscuits fine, but the chutney lacked any life at all. Chutney needs to be sticky, tangy and compliment the cheese; actually some Branston Pickle would have been better.

I was also looking forward to a coffee after dinner with my Brandy, but alas their was no coffee, the machine had broken, and the kettle did not work, not impressed with this aspect at all.

I am going to put this down to bad luck as my friend’s dinners did look far better, and it is a lovely pub. I will not be rushing back to The Gamekeeper, but I will give it another opportunity to shine before year-end.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank rjcrowther
Attleborough, United Kingdom
“Back up to the usual standard.”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

With the Landlady in control pleased to report service and food back up to the old standard. Happy to return again.

• Visited January 2014
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Traditional Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Went to the Gamekeeper for Sunday lunch with family. We were quickly seated and shown the menu (about 5-6 choices for each course). Our table was quite cramped between the doorway and another table, I had to ask the neighbouring table to adjust their chairs so I didn't break a rib!
The food was lovely, just wished that the gravy with my roast had been served in a jug rather than poured all over the plate!
Nice family atmosphere, good food (not rushed) and a small but extensive bar.

• Visited February 2014