“Visited by chance......will be back ”
Review of The Gamekeeper

The Gamekeeper
Ranked #19 of 31 Restaurants in Attleborough
Price range: US$13 - US$25
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Welcome to The Gamekeeper, we offer truly delicious food, real ales & fine wines served in the relaxing bar, in the warm intimate dining room or in the pretty fenced garden - weather permitting. There is also a large brick & timbered hall which is ideal for private functions, meetings & very special occasions. On Sundays we have a carvery in this hall but this can also be booked for your party. Located on East Anglia's largest village green, our 17th Century Grade II listed pub overlooks the pastures & ponds of Old Buckenham. We are situated 14 miles from Norwich and 9 miles from Diss.
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

We were staying in the area and wanted somewhere to meet up with friends. It was Saturday afternoon and we had tried a couple of other places that were booked up but we got a table at the gamekeepers, how lucky were we. From walking in the staff were very welcoming and friendly, brought out drinks over and have us the menus. Two of us choose pork loin chop and two of us chose the lamb burger, both good choices. The food was hot, tasty and beautifully presented, we all had deserts which were equally as good. The bill was £112 got four of us with drinks which I thought was great value for that quality of the food and the service received. Will definitely visit again when back in the area.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Called by here for lunch on friday. We had not booked but got a table without any problems. Friendly service with a standard menu and some interesting specials to chose from. The food we ordered for the main course was served promptly and was very good.
We enjoyed it so much that we could not resist having a desert as well and again this did not disapppoint although that did seem a litle slow in arriving.
The pub itself is pleasant making good use of it's historic features to provide a pleasant ambiance.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I hadn't visited The Gamekeeper for a few years, for no particular reason, but decided to book a table for four persons for lunch two weeks ago. I was very impressed with the standard of food, two of us had the vegetarian option, which was delicious, the other two had fish and rabbit also very good. Although there were only two other tables taken on this occasion there was still a nice atmosphere and I shall certainly go there again. .

Reviewed 20 April 2014

The Gamekeeper

We were invited to dinner at The Gamekeeper, and all reports were very positive. The Bar area was rustic and very welcoming, after drinks we were show to our table. I had ordered the Prawn Cocktail with Avocado, yes a little bit 1970’s but one of my all time favorites. My friends had gone for scallops, another pork belly, all looking very nice indeed.

My starter looked a little sorry for itself, almost desperate, my friends dishes were presented well, mine was just lonely, it lack creativity and the green leaves were bitter and the Avocado just did not have the right texture.

Served with one piece (quarter) of brown bread and butter. (Hint to Chef – back to school on this one, you really need to improve this dish by 98%).

I had chosen Rib Eye Steak for main with onion rings, chips and green salad, my friends had a combination of Sirloin Steaks, and Risottos, all which were presented well. It could have just been bad luck by my Rib Eye did not feel hot; this could have been the addition of the garlic butter direct from the fridge that had had the affect on the Steak. However the Rib Eye was Rib Scrawny rather than Rib Eye.

The chips were very pale, and could have done with a second fry, a little disappointing. On a positive the onion ringers were superb!

The deserts looked absolutely delicious, I had the Cheese and Biscuits, when will restaurants learn it needs to be presented with a little more flair, the cheese was acceptable, the biscuits fine, but the chutney lacked any life at all. Chutney needs to be sticky, tangy and compliment the cheese; actually some Branston Pickle would have been better.

I was also looking forward to a coffee after dinner with my Brandy, but alas their was no coffee, the machine had broken, and the kettle did not work, not impressed with this aspect at all.

I am going to put this down to bad luck as my friend’s dinners did look far better, and it is a lovely pub. I will not be rushing back to The Gamekeeper, but I will give it another opportunity to shine before year-end.

1  Thank rjcrowther
Reviewed 3 March 2014

With the Landlady in control pleased to report service and food back up to the old standard. Happy to return again.