“Good food and a nice atmosphere!”
Review of Red Lion

Red Lion
Ranked #6 of 31 Restaurants in Attleborough
Price range: US$7 - US$33
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Family friendly run business that offers everything a good village pub should have! Good food, relaxed bar and good service
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Good food and a nice atmosphere!”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

My wife and I went to the Red Lion for Sunday lunch, we found the pub to be a traditional old country pub with a good choice of local beers which was a nice touch. The Sunday lunch impressed us both,good quality food and the chef added a touch of class to this establishment with his presentation. We enjoyed our afternoon at the Red Lion and will go back in the near future for another meal and try some more of the local Norfolk beers!

2 Thank Gooner47801

Norfolk, United Kingdom
“Hurray for the new owners!”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Having eaten there on the Friday night, I would like to come to the defence of the new owners, as I feel that lotuseater must have had his eyes closed on his/her visit.

Firstly the bare walls have alway been bare ever since it was reopened back in 2011 apart from pictures from local photographers, the previous landlord from the Mulberry Tree removed the pictures thereby leaving the walls bare apart from a fresh coat of pain. Personally I found the staff very pleasant and very helpful. The menu was offered to us as soon as we walked in, as we had drinks at the bar before hand. Having taken our table the first course arrive speedily and the main course arrive at a suitable time following that, I had Pork belly which melted in the mouth and the meal was finished with local Norfolk cheeses, and a good bottle of Malbec.

Yes I live in the village, but without the new owners this pub would have fallen into the hands of a management company who would not give a dam about local customers, which the current landlords are aiming for. So I would say yes they are new but give it a short while and they will become "old hands".

4 Thank 332AlanP
Norfolk, United Kingdom
“Beware - change of ownership.”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I knew something was wrong as soon as I pulled into the car park. Empty on a weekend night, which was unheard of before. Inside it was sparsely populated yet chaotic, with totally untrained staff who didn't bring menus, wine lists, let alone cutlery to the table. The decor is bare walls and the warmness has gone. The ambience had changed dramatically from classy rural pub/restaurant with atmosphere, to 9 year old kids running all over the place. Took ages to even order drinks, and from a very poor wine list. Meanwhile a couple that had arrived on spec were ignored for several minutes, not even greeted by the teenage staff, before eventually being told that serving had ended, and this at 8.45 pm! Most civilised people don't eat out until 8 pm at the earliest (I have found this a problem to be common in Norfolk, closing restaurants abnormally early. The only other place that did this was Scotland in the 70s and 80s, but even they have got their act together now).They will never be back, and neither will any of their friends or relatives. A PR disaster that new owners simply cannot afford.

The food was average to poor, marginally better than the service. The new regime need to seriously step up the organisation and customer service if they are to have any hope of making this venture viable. The menu, food and wine list all need attention.

The Red Lion has had a very chequered history in the last decade - several failed businesses and was boarded up for years before the owners of the Mulberry Tree came in and got the formula right - upmarket, quality but unpretentious menu, professional yet warm service, wine list compiled by an enthusiast, roaring open fires. This drew custom from all over the region, as a destination place to eat. Taking rural pubs like the Red Lion upmarket is the only way to make them economically viable these days.

Taking the pub downmarket will fail abjectly I am afraid as it immediately stops regional custom and you are left with Caston locals who are simply too few in number to sustain a rural pub restaurant on their own.

Lets hope I merely encountered teething troubles and that things improve rapidly.

2 Thank lotuseater888
Denise W, Owner at Red Lion, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
I am at a loss to understand where these comments have come from as the only night we have had children in the Red Lion since we re-opened on Friday 4th July was our opening night when we couldn’t have squeezed any more people into the pub if we tried. Everybody commented on what a fantastic atmosphere we had created. On Friday 11th July there were three children eating in the dining room and on Saturday 12th there was just one 6 year old in the pub. These children were definitely not running around. Were you in the Red Lion Friday 11th or Saturday 12th as on Friday the dining area was fully booked and on Saturday we had to turn at least 6 or more bookings away. Neither the pub nor the car park were sparsely populated.

All of our customers are asked if they are eating with us as soon as they come to the bar. If they are early they are asked if they would like a menu to look at before being seated or if they would like to be seated straight away if their table is available. If there are any walk ins requiring food we will firstly tell them that we need to check with the chef’s to see if we can accommodate them as we will not delay our pre-booked customers. Cutlery is laid out prior to service and our wine list maybe small at the moment but has been compiled by Harper Wells, a very reputable wine merchant in Norwich, who have compiled the wine selection for us. In fact, this wine merchant was recommended by the landlord of the Mulberry Tree (the previous Red Lion landlord).

Your comments “the food being average to poor, marginally better than the service,” why did you not say something when you were asked by myself or my staff as all customers are asked, without fail, if they enjoyed their meal. EVERYONE has stated that our food is at the worst, superb. We have had the odd comment where we might add a little to a dish or we may have put too much on a dish. All of these comments have been discussed and where required, acted upon.

You say the owners of the Mulberry Tree came in and got the formula right. You have contradicted yourself there as we are doing everything that the owners of the Mulberry Tree did but we have taken on the things that Phil wishes he had been able to do such as having someone living on sight, bringing the villagers back in and creating a better look for the exterior of the pub.

You have also commented on the bare walls, this was obviously your first visit for a couple of years as there has been nothing on the walls for the past 2 years, something we will be rectifying shortly. If you had been in you would have known that. We find your comments totally unfounded, you are contradicting yourself and calling anybody that eats before 8pm uncivilised. I find all of your comments malicious as they are totally unjustified, however, this is the problem with the internet. Anyone can put anything about anything, I just hope that people will come to the Red Lion and formulate their own opinions rather than listening to some petty, malicious blabberings. To all future customers of the Red Lion, we doubt very much that you will do anything but enjoy your visit to our beautiful village pub. Should you find anything not to your liking or satisfaction please ask for Denise, Ian or Holly, and if it is within our power, will be only too glad to resolve any issues you may have. With regard to my point of anyone can put anything on the internet, look for us on Facebook where you will find comments from genuine customers that have actually been to the Red Lion and used their actual names.
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Average food”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Was really looking forward to having a Sunday lunch at the Red Lion, met up with friends, and it was a lovely day, we ordered a mixture of food, and was shown to our table, it was not full, but perhaps everyone had eaten and gone, but nice friendly staff, I ordered roast beef and it duly came, a lot of beef and crispy potatoes and great Yorkshire pudding, however, one of the vegetables were cauliflower cheese and this was on the plate, hence the cream sauce mixed in with my gravy and became a river of yellow and brown, now this may not bother a lot of people but for me I don't want all liquids mixed, if only this could have been served in a dish by the side of my plate, the dinner would have been much better.

My desert was a strawberry and rhubarb crumble, but apart from a little crisp topping the custard and strawberry's and rhubarb were all mixed together with a serving of ice cream on the top.

Just to mushy for me, I love a good crumble with custard or ice cream but not all together mixed in with the fruit. !

However, staff were friendly and we all had a good time, if I go again I will ask for separate bowls, oh and my of my party had the whitebait which were very good.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Stephanie H
“Welcoming and warming food”
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

A group of 8 headed here after good reviews and we weren't let down! A lovely building with split bar and restaurant areas with lovely old beams throughout the eatery! The menu was well structured and had most food to choose from the whitebait, prawn and crayfish salad and Welsh rarebit where chosen for starters all were enjoyed the whitebait has just a light frying which was lovely, the salad was light with fresh prawns and crayfish though no croutons were found in either of the 2 dishes served, the Welsh rarebit was nice but lacked a real true flavour.
The timing at which the food was passed to the table was ideal for drinks and the palate go settle! The mains didn't let us down either the belly pork was well presented and succulent pork with lovely crackling, the sea bass was beautifully cooked and went very well with the mango salsa and Cajun potatoes! The one main dish that was a slight let down was the mushroom and celeriac rissotto, it lacked mushroom had large amounts of celeriac and was very stodgy many of us tried the dish but weren't impressed, but all the other dishes throughout the evening where of a high quality!!
A large desert menu I'd recommend the lemon tart was very light others enjoyed the honeycomb desert which all went which is always a good sign.
Throughout the evening the waitresses were very helpful and friendly throughout the evening would recommend and go back to the resursunt again!!

Visited June 2014