“Truly delightful evening”
Review of Sherbourne House

Sherbourne House
Ranked #4 of 5 Attleborough B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Four of us went for dinner on a Saturday evening and had a very good meal at reasonable prices with excellent service. Our coats we hung up for us when arrived (none of this dumping them over the back of our chairs), the tables were well spaced and their were plenty of candles lit to give a relaxing atmosphere.

The prices are for 1, 2 or 3 courses and we opted for the 2 courses at £22.50. We were talking but there was no pressure to hurry up and choose. A jug of water arrived without us having to ask and our glasses were quietly filled. There is always a German speciality on the menu and 3 of us chose it, a beef roulade, which we tasty and very tender and the 4th had steak, equally tender accompanied by a wonderful Riesling.

I had hoped for a schnitzel as they are sometimes on the menu but the waitress told me that before I go again I can phone up and request they do one for me which sounds good to me.
The puddings were melt in the mouth and I can recommend the orange mousse and apple and cinnamon tartlets.

It was so comfortable that we invited a guest dining on his own to join us for coffee and continued chatting.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank fritzmollie

Reviewed 12 November 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a wonderful two night stay at the Sherbourne House hotel. Sherbourne House is an 18th century manor house and is situated in the small market town of Attleborough just off the A11 between Thetford and Norwich.

We arrived early evening and we were warmly greeted by Toby the manager who after checking in showed us to our room. We had room number 1 at the front of the hotel overlooking the front lawn.

Our room was very spacious and was well appointed with nice decor and furnishings. The bed was probably one of the best that I have ever slept in with a comfortable mattress, big pillows and heavy duvet. The room came with flat screen TV, tea and coffee making facilities including a cafetiere plus bottled water, iron and ironing board, hair dryer, telephone and clock radio. There was also a walk-in wardrobe which included extra bedding/pillows if you needed them.

The bathroom too was quite large with nice fittings. Two quality towels were supplied each, the bath towel being very large. Bottles of toiletries were also supplied along with flannels, cotton buds, cotton balls and tissues. The shower over bath was very good with hot and powerful water. Both our room and bathroom was spotlessly clean as indeed was the entire hotel.

One of the quirky things about our room was the sloping undulating floor (as mentioned on the hotel website). It took a bit of getting used to at first, felt like you were drunk before you had even had a drink! So just be careful when you return to the hotel at the end of an evening after really having a drink – laugh.

The hotel has a very nice restaurant with a conservatory attached which also has the bar. As we arrived early evening we had already pre-booked a table. The hotel manager Tobias (or Toby) is also the chef. For our evening meal my wife had the rib-eye steak which was cooked to perfection. I opted for the German special (as recommended by a previous reviewer) which was Beef roulade with carrots and peas and mashed potatoes, very tasty indeed. Apple and cinnamon crumble with rum & raisin ice cream completed our meal all served with a smile by Charlotte the German waitress. Both Toby and Charlotte were very attentive making sure we were happy with our meal. Breakfast was also extensive with a choice of cereals and fresh fruits and fruit juice. There was a choice of hot fair on the menu from a light breakfast to a full English including endless toast if you wanted it. Fresh tea or coffee rounded it off nicely.

The hotel boasts free Wi-Fi throughout, has a large car park plus a lawn with bench seating which would be quite nice on a warm summer’s day.

Sherbourne House is German owned and is managed by Tobias and Doris, unfortunately, we didn’t get to meet Doris as she was in Germany at the “sister” Baseler Hof hotel situated in Hamburg . Charlotte the waitress was over from Hamburg on a seven week secondment . Her English and service skills were excellent.

The hotel sits just outside Attleborough town centre around a 5 – 10 minute walk away. The town has several pubs, the Griffin was quite lively on Friday night. To the South is the town of Thetford and around 13 miles North is the historic city of Norwich with its Castle, Cathedral and many churches plus extensive shopping malls and market. If you don’t fancy driving into Norwich, the number 13 bus stops almost outside the hotel or you could catch the train from Attleborough to Norwich.

At £87 per night for a double room, I thought this was excellent value for money. We will be returning to Attleborough again next year and we will certainly return to the Sherbourne again.

Service just how it should be – well done Guys.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Everything I wanted from the spacious room with the beautiful en suite to the fabulous food. You HAVE to stay here its within 30 mins drive of Norwich, and just over hour or so from the coast lovely genial hosts... Personally this this the best place I've stayed for the price!!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 14 September 2012

We broke down nearby whilst returning home and couldn’t get recovered until the following day. The closest hotel was fully booked and recommended the Sherbourne. We have stayed in many hotels in both the UK and various countries, and this is up there with the 4 & 5 stars. The place is spotless, the rooms spacious, The breakfast was fresh, plentiful and with a slight variety out of the ordinary! Everything has been well thought of for a comfortable stay. Doris and Toby the Managers were very welcoming, genuinely friendly and helpful from the start. £87 for a double/twin is a bargain!

Room Tip: Ours was ground floor room 8. Recommended
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Wonderful birthday celebration meal. Couldn't fault the presentation, taste and variety. Really friendly chef and manager.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 July 2012

I usually avoid staying in bed and breakfasts as I prefer the anonymity of staying in a hotel but I booked Sherborne house late and to be honest I actually thought from the description that it was more of a hotel than a B&B

The house had a bit of a smell to it which I'm still trying to fathom what it was but can't put my finger on what it was... Not unpleasant but not entirley pleasant either!

My room was ok with a large bed ( 2 singles pushed together), a small tv but all the usual amenities such as tea making/ iron, etc so had everything I needed for my stay..

Free wifi was available throughout the hotel and in my room which is a huge plus point for me as I was travelling on business and needed to work.

The bathroom had two of my pet hates - a carpeted floor and a shower curtain! The shower was over the bath but it was clean and had plenty of clean towels and toiletries, etc

I arrived at the hotel in the early evening and would have eaten in.. The menu looked really nice but the pricing structure put me off to be honest... There were a handful of choices for each course but it was priced at £16.95 for one course, approx £23 for 2 courses and £27 for 3 courses..

I would have preferred to have each item priced individually so that I could pick and choose what I wanted and the food seemed to be over priced for the surroundings - however, I didn't eat there and the food may have been exceptional but the pricing structure put me off.

My room didn't have a lock on the inside which unnerved me slightly but I slept reasonably well.

I stayed for breakfast the next morning which was good..

I paid approx £65 for my stay and to be honest I was pleasantly surprised and would possibly stay here again if I was on my business budget and it has perhaps changed my views slightly on B&B's

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 June 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night with my wife and toddler. The toddler stayed in the massive bed with us and was not charged despite his sizeable breakfast. An appreciated gesture. And all the staff were great at entertaining and welcoming him.

Room was clean, quiet and spacious, everything we wanted.

Breakfast was fantastic. A lovely full English that was not too fatty accompanied by tasty coffee. Perfect.

Room rate appeared a little high for the area but having the great breakfast included meant good value.

• Stayed: June 2012