“An excellent fishing lodge!”
Review of Moose Horn Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chapleau
Moose Horn Lodge
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This past June (2014) a friend and I had the pleasant experience of spending a week at Moose Horn Lodge just outside Chapleau Ontario. Each year we try a new place but all pale in comparison to Moose Horn Lodge. Unlike most lodges located on large lakes, Moose Horn is on a small Walleye and Pike lake. The appeal for us was that we could strike out to dozens of small lakes from the lodge equipped with boat motor trailer and bait, all supplied. During the week we fished for Speckles (and limited out with 1.5 pounders), Pike, Bass and of course Walleye. The lodge has been in Roxann's family for decades and along with her husband Jim they were forthcoming with all the hot spots to fish. The most impressive part of the stay however, was the actual accommodation. Our cottage (one of several) was large, open, modern and very clean. The beautiful view of the lake was iconic. Each cottage came complete with BBQ on private decks, modern appliances, satellite TV and clean hot showers. The newly built post and beam lodge, is magnificent and quite a sight to behold when heading back to the dock after dark when it was all lit up.There was also a community games room, hot tub and sauna

I would highly recommend taking four wheelers with ball hitches if you have them as this provides you with access to the smaller less frequented lakes. Jim is happy to give you a boat and motor to tow into these lakes and the fishing was tremendous. We were there for 6 days and took home our limit in Trout, Bass and Walleye. Wildlife was plentiful we saw moose and bear.

There are only reasons I scored this fishing lodge as very good rather than excellent. The first was the absence of a fish cleaning station although I understand from Jim and Roxann that there are plans for one in the near future. Instead the fish had to be cleaned in the garage area without the presence of running water. The second was no internet service in the cottage. The Lodge did have a wireless router but not the cottages. Despite this, our days of trying new fishing camps and lodges may be over as we plan on returning year after year. A great holiday Thanks Jim and Roxann

Room Tip: There are cottages and a small hotel strip I would only be interested in a cottage although I didn...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank keith m
Roxann L, Owner at Moose Horn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you for the great review Keith. We are so glad that you guys had a great time and look forward to seeing you again.
Just to let you know that we now have internet in the cottages on the hill that we had installed the first week of July.
As for the fish cleaning building, that should be up in Sept.. It was suppose to be built this spring but do to unforeseen circumstances, it didn't happen.
We always like suggestions from our guests and try to accommodate them.
Hopefully we will see you next year.

There are newer reviews for Moose Horn Lodge

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Our family has been fishing in various parts of Ontario for nearly forty years. Most of the last twenty has been in the Chapleau area. The river and lake scenery is spectacular, wildlife abundant and the area is blessed with countless lakes of all sizes. With experience or insider information you can target specific species on specific lakes. Doug was up to speed on what to catch where, and how. His information matched my previous experience on a number of lakes. I therefore trusted his input on lakes and streams I had not fished previously. Both Roxanne and Doug were gracious, accommodating and knowledgeable hosts. The accommodations were impeccable and a minor appliance problem was addressed immediately. They were always available and eager to address questions. Their pricing was very reasonable as well. The only significant improvement I would welcome is a lighted cleaning station with running water. There set up was adequate with cleaning on newspapers in the garage and water cleanup outside, but in the dark. Absolutely, a first rate accommodation and top notch hosts.

Thanks,
Bob & Shiela

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Bob L
Roxann L, Owner at Moose Horn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Thank you so much Bob for the review. It was a pleasure having you as our guests and hopefully we will see you again. A fish cleaning building is one of our priorities and hopefully it will come to fruition within the next year or two. I will move it to the top of our list. Keep us in mind for your next fishing vacation.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

We have stayed at many fishing lodges over the past 10+ years and Moose Horn is the best....Worth the drive and great fishing.If you want to get away from it all and see the real northern ontario you will find it here. Teach your kids to fish and they will always have good memories of family trips. Bring a tow vehicle and you can take short adventures to other lakes that are full of different fish. Its great fun. WE WILL BE BACK.

Room Tip: With a family you want a chalet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank charles c
Roxann L, Owner at Moose Horn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Thank you so much Charles! It was a pleasure having you as our guests and we are so glad that you enjoyed yourselves. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

We look forward to a real vacation each September at Moose Horn Lodge. You just can't find better accommodations than those that Doug and Roxanne provide. The cabins are more like chalets, with large windows that offer a beautiful view of the home lake and awesome sunrises. Leave your sleeping bags at home because the beds are fitted with sheets and blankets that remind you of your Grandmother's; fresh and clean...dried in the warm summer sun. The fishing is always good, with so many local lakes that add lots of variety and options when the wind or the weather are not cooperative. Lots of Walleye, Bass, and Pike can be had. Doug and Roxanne provide excellent equipment for fishing and the bait is always fresh and lively. Can't imagine anyone leaving a stay Moose Horn Lodge dissapointed. I need to upgrade my vaction to two weeks here.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gary G
Roxann L, Owner at Moose Horn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Thank you so much Gary. It's always nice to see you guys every year.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Moose Horn Lodge is nestled on a truly breathtaking location. With vast wilderness to explore and miles of lodging trails to take it gives one's appreciation for the beautiful Canadian wildlife. I thank Moose Horn Lodge and the owners for forever increasing my passion and appreciation for the outdoors! I can speak from experience, the owners Doug & Roxanne will do everything they can to make your experience at Moose Horn Lodge a truly remarkable one!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank AvidOutdoorsman88

Thank you Lucas! It's unfortunate that you damaged your rad the first day you got here and couldn't get out but Doug was happy to be able to take you guys hunting and trapping while you were here. Hope to see you again this fall.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

We book are summer family vacations at Moose Horn Lodge pretty much every year. The fishing is wonderful the cabins are absolutely gorgeous and the kids have a clean clear lake to swim and fish in. The wildlife is amazing you can drive around just before dark and see bear and moose then while fishing there are eagles beaver and otter. Doug and Roxann are excellent host they go out of there way to make sure your stay is pleasant and comfortable.

Room Tip: Favorite cabin is 5
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Smits1
Roxann L, Owner at Moose Horn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2013

Thank you so much guys. It's always nice to see you every year and we look forward to it. Hopefully we will see you again next summer.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

I recently had the opportunity once again to take a fishing trip/vacation with my Dad, Uncle, Cousin and two of my brothers in law. Fishing is a passion of mine and I remember the very first time dad had me come up with him to Moose Horn Lodge. I looked at the website prior to going up and when I finally got there, it really exceeded my expectations. Our cottage is a 5 star cottage. It has 4 BR down stairs (where it is very cool) and sleeps 8. It is well maintained and it very clean upon arrival. We usually get up at the break of day, eat breakfast, pack our lunch and we are off to the lake we agreed on the night before. We usually get back 5-6 p.m. fix dinner and we start methodically to take our showers so we can relax a few hours until we are off asleep. The cottages have 2 separate baths and showers, so we can get in and out pretty quick. Plenty of hot water, no one had to wait to shower. Doug & Roxann are wonderful hosts and if you pay attention to what they tell you, no matter what you are fishing for, you WILL catch fish. I have learned a lot from Doug during my trips. I wished I could make time to come up EVERY year, but with family and work obligations it makes it hard to always get the opportunity. Once you spend a week here, you are HOOKED, (no pun intended)

Room Tip: If you plan a SUMMER trip here, I would ALWAYS advise you to stay in the cottage with 4BR's, as...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Jeff B
Roxann L, Owner at Moose Horn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Thanks Jeff! It's always so nice to see you guys and hopefully the time in between trips will be shorter.

Been to Moose Horn Lodge? Share your experiences!