All reviews buffet style hot water bottles stir fry national park hiking boots small space heater sitting area rooms are large reception area each evening grounds are beautiful main building boot cleaning open fire lunch and dinner the cottages meeting point
Reviewed 9 September 2012

From previous reviews, I was expecting something very rustic--wrong. It is a lovely place to stay, friendly and accommodating. Our cottage was huge--with a large fireplace and 2 queen beds (for my sister and me), and large bathroom that was adequate. A fire was built in the afternoon (if we were there) and always after dinner when they also put hot water bottles in the bed. Completely charming! And, when you arrived back from a trek, you sat in a chair, someone removed your boots and returned them clean and better than new to your cottage. What is not to love about this place? Also, as often stated, very close to the gorilla & golden monkey trek. Beautiful setting, and the food was good, with many fresh fruits and vegetables and good soups.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 September 2012

I don't know how it happened, but I was expecting a much simpler lodge than the one we actually stayed in during our trip to the mountain gorilla's. So, when entering the room, I was very pleasantly surprised indeed. A nice spacious room, with an equally spacious bathroom.

Almost immediately when we started to settle in our room, one of the room servants came and lit up the fireplace for us. Fireplace you think, right in central Africa? Yes, a fireplace and it was much welcomed. First, our drive from Kigali to the area of the Parc des Volcans was a tough, wet drive, with a few hours of constant rain right up to the last village before we got to the lodge. Furthermore, the altitude at which the lodge is located is over 2000 meters, so it does get a little cold. And we are south of the equator, so it is winter as well. :)

We had one of the lodges that are close to central area and they are all facing the VIrunga mountains. The room has a large window on the front, so when you sit in one of the comfortable chairs, or you lie on your bed, you have this beautiful view to enjoy.

Staff is very friendly and helpful. While checking in, we were treated a lovely cup of ginger tea. And I real the real ginger stuff you can get on Zanzibar as well. Spicy and hot, not the bland stuff we have here in The Netherlands. Umbrellas were waiting for us to shelter us from the rain when we walked to our room.

Food is good, especially considering that it is a buffet for all meals. Dinner had plenty of choice of vegetables, meats and fruits. Breakfast was what we learned to expect for breakfast on this trip. Eggs are made to order by the chef at the buffet. The lunch buffet was similar to the dinner buffet, with loads of choices. Coffee and tea were available as well.

While we enjoyed our dinner, our room was prepared for the night. That meant that a warm water bottle was put in our bed, to take away some of the cold and the damp of the sheets. It sounds a bit silly, I know, but it sure was very comfortable.

All in all a very pleasant place to stay when you want to visit the Parc des Volcans National Park in Rwanda. It is nicely located not too far from the entrance to the park and they are fully aware that most people come here to do the mountain gorilla tracking. They have tailored their operations for that, like a shoe cleaning service when you return from the tracking.

The next time I will be visiting this area, I will surely try to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ronley01
Reviewed 6 September 2012

The Mountain Gorilla View Lodge is not highly ranked and is described as modest accommodations. I was expecting to rough it a bit. What a surprise we had in store. The rooms are over sized with a king bed. Being in the mountains it gets cool at night. Each room has a couch, chairs, tables and fireplace. The staff starts a fire in the fireplace around dinner time and comes back to add to the fire just before bed. Hot water bottles are placed in the beds just before bedtime...a wonderful touch. The bathroom is large and has running hot water provided by a generator that is turned off for a few hours during the daylight hours and late night. Located about 30 minutes from the park entrance, it is a convenient and comfortable place to stay! Meals are good but somewhat repetitive.

Room Tip: I liked the position of the rooms numbered 1-5. They have a beautiful view of Mt. Sabyinyo. A large, welcoming fire pit with a circle of chairs is located off to the side for those who want to sit by a fire before going to bed.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2012

My wife and I came to the gorilla mountain lodge with low expectations after reading other reviews but were pleasantly surprised by our experience. We stayed in room #3 and had a great view of the volcano that we would soon be trekking in search of mountain gorillas. The staff was very helpful, the food was good (not great) and the rooms were nice. The only odd thing were the cavernous bathrooms that seemed large enough to fit an extra bed. The fireplace was a nice touch and services such as laundry and complimentary shoe cleaning are offered. Overall, a very nice value with clean large rooms with a great staff and a good location (easy to walk around and meet the locals).

Room Tip: Room #1-3 are close to the restaurant for weary feet and have a great view of the volcano range.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Here we go.
A very nice Hotel for middle and semi high end clients.
Very good and friendly staff.
If you can't go to Sabyinyo Silver Back Lodge and Virunga Lodge, this will be your next alternative.
I recommend this Hotel.