Palácio dos Arcos is a new hotel. Only a few reviews but we were tempted to try it. And we're glad we did. It was the perfect way to end our 4 weeks in Portugal.
First a few words about taxis and the hotel.
- We drove from the Algarve and dropped up the rental car at the airport. Tried to get a quote from the taxi driver on the price to Paço de Arcos. But he suddenly didn't speak English :) And my Portuguese isn't very good. Ended up paying €48 which is too much. Trip back to the airport was only €30. At 4AM.
- I had saved a satellite photo of the area on my phone. Very helpful, as many drivers don't know where it is. If you can say "Avenida Marginal, Paço de Arcos, amarelo" you'll be fine :) The yellow colour stands out. Beautiful and easy to remember. The taxi drivers are very helpful and love it when you know a few words of their language.
- We were welcomed by people helping with our luggage, a cold towel and cold fresh orange juice. Almost overwhelming. Check in was extremely quick and easy. Very important for us. Perfect way to arrive at the hotel.
- Typical modern Portuguese styling. Very calm and "friendly" feeling. The poets theme is great. Very nice touch with quotes on the walls.
- Beds are incredibly comfortable. I would have brought one back to Norway but couldn't make it fit in my suitcase.
- Our room had a nice size table with two chairs. The sofa turns into a bed. Not the best sofa to sit on but ok. It's practical but could be more comfortable. Curtains make privacy easy and air condition worked perfectly.
- Bathroom with shower and bathtub. Nothing to complain about. Very nice.
- We didn't notice any noise from the busy Avenida Marginal or the train (room 211). The view is nice. The trees in the garden obstructs a little bit but they look nice and I think they shelter from the noise from the road too.
- Perfect. Nothing else to say about that. Rooms and everywhere else on the hotel was perfect.
- Very nice touch with the small candy in the evening. Our daughter loved it.
- The pool has the most refreshing, clean water ever. I forgot to ask how they do it. Wouldn't be surprised if they used other methods than chlorine.
- The pool is easy to use for children. Also for those who have trouble getting in and out with the stairs in one end.
- Fantastic sunbeds and towels.
- Perfectly clean everywhere. Outstanding pool area.
- Seemed to be a very young staff. Extremely friendly and helpful at any time of the day.
- They can help you with almost anything. Or actually everything. But I didn't have time to find out. Very nice to get information about trains and ferries. Printed time tables and gave us directions.
- Made us feel welcome. I hope they all know now that we think they're doing an excellent job.
- Excellent breakfast buffet and extra menu. Didn't eat dinner there as we had planned other things.
- Paço de Arcos isn't downtown Lisboa. But that's ok. It's a nice area. Narrow streets with some interesting buildings. Lisboa, Cascais, Estoril ++ is easy to reach with the train. The station is 150 metres from the hotel. Staying a few minutes away from everything was never a problem for us.
- It's close to Quinta da Fonte, a huge office park.
Things to do
- It's a nice trip to walk west along the beaches and cliffs. Get a map from reception and just go. Take pictures of the fountain on the beach, the small forts on the cliffs and take a breather on a cafe when you're tired. We walked to Oeiras and stumbled upon the marching band from the fire department and a wedding :)
- Take the train or taxi (€11) to Belem. Beautiful place.
- From Belem you can take the ferry to Trafaria on the other side of the river and go to the beach at Costa de Caparica. The ferry trip is a nice way to get a different view of the beautiful city. Take the return in the evening during sunset.
- Take the train to Cais do Sodre, taxi or metro to Oceanári de Lisboa. Great place for kids. Or just take the train and start walking in the city. You'll never get tired of Lisboa.
- We tried Casa de Dizima across the road from the hotel. The other restaurants down the street are said to be very good, and maybe we should've tried them. Dizima was ok. Excellent fish. But they have a tendency to overdo things. Excellent meat but to many things going on on the plate. It's fine dining and the price shows it.
- Este Oeste in Centro Cultural do Belem is an excellent place. Coffeeshop and a restaurant with Italian and Japanese. Perfect sushi, perfect pizza, exciting dishes that mix both styles and tasty Teppan grill. And the desserts are wonderful. The mousse and the local ice cream.....have to go back there :) Price is very reasonable.
We couldn't have been more happy with our choice of hotel. I'm sure we're coming back in the future. And that's the best way you can show that you think it's a great hotel. I really hope everyone in the staff understands how thankful we are for all their help.
I was told by someone from Lisboa that Palácio dos Arcos is where king Manuel I watched Vasco da Gama leave for his voyage to India. It was good enough for a king then and still is today.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This hotel located in the historical town of Paco de Arcos right by the Tagus River on Lisbon Coast. The nearest link to the transportation network is only a 2 minutes away and you can get to Lisbon Historical Centre in only 15 minutes or to Cascais in about the same time. The nearest beach is only 1km away. The nearest airport is 25 km away. This hotel marks the Vila Gale Group's debut with a 5-star unit in Portugal. With a poetic inspiration and decoration and a privileged location by the Tagus River on the Lisbon Coast, it has 76 bedrooms that are fully integrated in the surrounding environment. The hotel offers 24 hour reception, wheelchair access, hotel safe, and luggage room, free Wi-Fi Internet connection in public areas, a library, the restaurant Inevitavel, Satsanga Spa, an outdoor pool and a surrounding garden. This unit turned out to be renewed and boosting landmark for the historical centre of the town of Paco de Arcos. The luxurious rooms are well equipped with air conditioning, electronic safety door look, direct telephone, safe, LCD TV with Cable and Pay TV, Wi-Fi Connection (for and additional cost), Minibar and 24 hour room service, private bathroom with telephone and hair dryer. Vila Gale Collection Palacio dos Arcos has 1 restaurant and 2 bars available for its customers, open not only to hotel guests, but also to the general public all year long. The Satsanga label is present at the hotel and is composed of a set of facilities that provide well-being to all its customers. Here, you will find a heated indoor pool, sauna, Turkish bath, Vichy shower, gym and rooms for massages and treatments (all for an additional cost). Guests may choose their breakfast, lunch or dinner meals from a wide buffets. At lunch and dinner guests may also select dishes from the set menu, or take the a la carte option. In addition, the hotel caters for guests with special dietary requirements or take away meals. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, LoveHolidays, Alpha Holidays Limited, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Prestigia, Agoda, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, LateRooms, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Vila Gale Collection Palacio dos Arcos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.