“Fantastic boutique inn with fabulous food”
Review of The Chetnole Inn

The Chetnole Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Chetnole B&B and Inns
Pease Pottage, West Sussex, UK
“Fantastic boutique inn with fabulous food”
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We recently stayed at The Chetnole Inn for 3 nights last week and were very impressed. Chetnole is a small village which adds to the 'get-away-from-it-all' charm of the Inn - being woken up by birdsong rather than the sound of the motorway was a very nice change! Having said that, it is only a few minutes from the main road down to Dorchester and we got down to Weymouth within 30 minutes.
We stayed in 'Tess' which was a lovely room complete with view across to the village church & house martins nesting just outside the window. As other reviewers have mentioned, there are some lovely little touches here (I think this stems from the owners, Mike & Jude, thinking about what they would like to find in a hotel room) - fresh cafetiere coffee in a hotel is a first for me! (I tried to pick some up from the suppliers on our way home, but couldn't find them). Unlike a previous reviewer who thought the bed was too hard, we thought the bed is perfect - soft beds breed chronic back problems.
The food is absolutely fabulous and very varied, from Mussels & French fries (trust me, they looked lovely), to Chef's pie (very, very tasty), to Belly of Pork (my wife's favourite), to Fillet Steak on a Granite slab (one of the best pieces of steak I've had in this country). Desserts were also gorgeous - my wife raved about the pannacotta, and the chocolate brownie, complete with ice-cream & popping candy, was great. During our 3 nights, we sampled almost the entire menu between the 2 of us (they focus on 5-7 dishes for each course) and every one of them was a real winner.
I recommend a pre-dinner drink in the pub garden, watching the pet rabbits, the horses in the next door field, & the sun going down.
Breakfast is also lovely and there is a varied menu, including the Full English.
Everyone working in this establishment clearly knows they are working in a good quality place and it shows in their demeanour - relaxed and happy in their work.
Highly recommended - in fact, I've already recommended it to 2 groups of friends since returning. I'm sure we will also return at some point.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Stroud, England
Reviewed 28 May 2013

2 nights - visiting family in the area,
We chose this for convenience and could have gone cheaper, those of our family who did, regretted it. When they saw our room they immediately wished they had booked here instead.
Touches such as a decent table for all my wife's bathroom stuff, dressing gowns and towels deluxe, space, good windows, nice view to church and cricket ground, quiet, and a quality pub and pub/restaurant food -
one draw back: current owner manager & family are selling to move to larger hotel, so by the time someone books, it maybe just the quality of rooms that remains...

and one criticism of this AND EVERY OTHER HOTEL almost-
hardish bed...
when can we have a bed softness rating included in all advertising. The so called "orthopaedic bed" craze was a rip off - I want a bed my elbows sink into - rather than one that causes them to sink into my ribs.

Room Tip: we had the "Hardy" which I believe had the best windows/views - but I expect all rooms are...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
ls1214, Owner at The Chetnole Inn, responded to this review, 1 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review and we are delighted you enjoyed your room, the food, the view and the extra touches you mentioned. We were very concerned to read your comment that future guests may be disappointed as you have said we are leaving. We want to clarify that we are not moving and anyone planning to book to stay with us can expect to have the same quality of experience that so many people have had.
Sandbach, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Once again we've had a brilliant time at the Chetnole Inn, when we stayed for just one night last weekend. We stayed in Tess, which is a lovely room with a gorgeous view overlooking the lane and the church. We've stayed in Hardy on previous occasions and the rooms are spacious and sunny; the beds are comfortable, and guests are thoughtfully provided with touches such as fresh filter coffee, DVD player and a selection of current films, with mouton brown toiletries in the bathroom and Egyptian cotton towels and robes. Mike, Jude and their staff work very hard to ensure that every need is catered for, and the food is delicious whatever you pick from the menu, which features many locally sourced ingredients. We can vouch for the mussels in wine and cream, the roasted sea bass fillets, the hand breaded king prawns with sweet chili, and the liver, not to mention the freshly prepared breakfast. It's always a pleasure to stay at the Chetnole Inn, and we can't wait for our next visit. Thanks Jude and Mike for such a gem!

Room Tip: Only 3 rooms, and all equally comfortable.
Worcester
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Excellent accommodation, lovely rooms, delicious food, beautiful and peaceful setting and real value of money - could not ask for more!

The whole experience was fantastic and a great spot to discover Dorset from. I would highly recommend it for a weekend away.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013

What a great place, stayed 2 nights including dinner. Everything was perfect, room was spacious and very comfortable haven't slept that well for a long time. Breakfast, lunch and dinners were delicious. Really nice wine at reasonable prices. Also the weather was great

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2013

My husband and I have just come back from a 2 night stay at the Chetnole Inn and had a brilliant time. We stayed in Tess room which was absolutely spotless, with a really comfortable bed and great views.The attention to detail from fresh coffee in the room and molton brown soaps and egyptian cotton towels, dressing gowns and bedding was fantastic!
On our first night, they were having a Thai themed evening where you had 9 different courses. The atmosphere in the bar and restaurant was great and the food was brilliant!
Mike and Jude are very welcoming and make you feel very relaxed.
The breakfast is also superb and we had dinner in the restaurant on our 2nd night, which was again, amazing! It is great location wise as you can get down to some gorgeous coastline in about 4o minutes. Thank you very much for an enjoyable stay!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alexandra V
Herne Bay
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I stayed two nights at the Chetnole Inn. From the minute I arrived to when I departed I felt comfortable and was made to feel welcome. My room was spacious and very comfortable; how nice to sleep in a bed with quality pillows and duvet. My evening meal both days was first class.
I was staying on business therefore sadly didn't have any time to look around the local area or spend much time relaxing at breakfast. I would however definitely return at the earliest opportunity as it is so good to find somewhere with so much class and quality at such a reasonable price.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kay R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chetnole
Half Moon Inn
#1 of 1 in Alweston
The Rose & Crown Trent
The Rose & Crown Trent
#4 of 24 in Sherborne

Been to The Chetnole Inn? Share your experiences!