“lovely B&B” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Chetnole B&B and Inns
London
“lovely B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2009

found this pub online- the rooms are clean, large, service great, lovely little pub. Loved the beer garden with ducks! would highly recommend

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fee01

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Hertfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2009

We have just had a beautiful weekend (March) at the Chetnole Inn and were blessed with lovely weather. We arrived down on the Friday lunchtime and stayed for the special offer of 2 nights B & B and 3 course evening meal all for £220.00 which we throught was a fantastic value. We stayed in the room TESS which overlooked the church and as the weather was lovely everything seemed beautiful. The room was really spacious and clean and very well laid out with King size bed , TV and a two seater sofa in the corner also tea and coffe making facilities along with biscuits. In the en-suite there was Molton Brown shower gel, hand wash, shampoo and body lotion (which I love) and white robes. They have throught of everything that people would like when staying away from home . The evening meals were fantastic, in fact we went to bed really stuffed and the breakfast we had full english which was piping hot and stayed that way right to the very end of the meal. The only drawback was that there was nothing to do in the evenings as being a village there was only the post office, church and the pub, but all the same very nice place. I would recommend this place to all my friends as really nowhere is that far away by car, as we popped into Weymouth which was about half an hour drive and had a great day. We would definitely stay there again. David & Patricia Robson, Hertfordshire

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
St Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2008

I came across this place on the internet as I was looking for a place to stay which was close to Monkey World which we were planning to visit. From the website it looked lovely and at the time of our stay they were offering Dinner, Bed & Breakfast for two people for two nights for £210 (total). The menu looked very good so I decided to book. We stayed there on the 11th & 12th April. Due to heavy traffic we had quite a long journey down and didn't arrive there until aout 9.30pm. They usually stop serving food at 9 but as they were expecting us they had very kindly kept the kitchen open. One room was booked for myself and my husband and the other for my daughter and son in law. Both rooms were absolutely delightful, really bright and airy, large comfy beds, TV, and Tea & Coffee making facilities. The furniture and decor is all in keeping with the building and all matching in oatmeals, creams and browns and everything was spotlessly clean. The en-suite shower looked brand new and there were large soft fluffy towles, bathrobes and other useful bits and bobs i.e., cotton wool, tissues, hand cream etc., The Molton Brown handwash was divine. There is also body wash, shampoo and conditioner all built into dispensers in the shower. Our room was at the front of the building and overlooked a beautiful old Church.

The food here is absolutely superb, we had a wonderful meal on Friday evening and all went to bed stuffed to the gills. Breakfast was equally good, there being fruit juice, yogurt, cereal, fruit and then a freshly cooked breakfast to your order all piping hot (in fact I still don't know how Mike managed to get everything SO hot all at once !) Monkey World is about a 40 minute drive away and we duly went off there on Saturday morning and in the afternoon, we looked around Sherbourne Abbey which is magnificent. Having got back to the Chetnole around 5.30ish we found it was quite busy and lots of friendly locals were in the bar Our dinner on Saturday night was again superb although I couldn't do it justice as I was so full. There is around 5 or 6 choices of both starter and main course and about 4 or 5 desserts. Breakfast on Sunday before we left again was lovely and although my husband and son-in-law chose the full english my daughter and I weren't so hungry and requested bacon and fried egg sandwiches which wasn't a problem and were delicious.

Unfortunately it rained on and off throughout our time at the Chetnole so we weren't able to sit in the beer garden but I have to mention that this is quite large and at the back of the inn and is prettily laid out to lawn with small trees and a small pen with some 6 ducks and a drake. I would imagine the garden is very busy in the summer. I understand that Mike and Jude who run the Chetnole also have various entertainments there throughout the year and indeed we noted that Morris Dancers are scheduled I think for May and a Jazz Band on the 13th June. I think these sort of things would go to make a week-end away even more interesting and enjoyable.

I have to say the village is very small and apart from the houses etc., comprises the Chetnole, a Church and a Post Office/General Store and that's it !!! The centre of Sherbourne is about 15 /20 minutes away by car.

Finally I would mention that on the Saturday of our stay it was my birthday and I had been given a bottle of Pink Cava to have with breakfast on my birthday. I asked Mike if it would be possible to have this (as we had not bought it from him) and indeed it was no probem and he chilled it for us and our breakfast table was beautifully laid complete with champagne flutes and a Chiller.

I would thoroughly recommend the Chetnole for a lovely week-end away but book early if you require a specific date as it does get booked up as there are only three large en-suite rooms (I think).

Joy (Barnet)

• Liked — The room and the food
  • Disliked — There was absolutely nothing I disliked
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chetnole
Half Moon Inn
#1 of 2 in Evershot
Munden House
Munden House
#1 of 1 in Alweston

Been to The Chetnole Inn? Share your experiences!