“Perfect mix of Jungle and Creature comforts”

El Tucan Jungle Lodge
Ranked #6 of 8 Cocles B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 March 2014

When thinking back on my 10 day experience at the lodge what jumps out at me is service. If I needed something Irene or Wolfgang seemed always to be able to help me get whatever it was. Including making a call to the US to help me with my credit and debt cards.
I'm 67 years old and far from being in good shape but the fact that the lodge is located about 800 kilometers from the main roads was not a problem, frankly it was a very pleasant walk and across the road is the ocean. My room, was large with a queen size bed, comfortable. Bathroom located in a separate room with warm showers, this is the Caribbean so hot showers I don't believe are necessary. The porch outside has a hammock to rest, read, and relax in. A sloth was feeding on leaves in a tree three feet from the veranda, quite a site, you could almost touch it.
My favorite animal experience was the howler monkeys. Their were two troupes their at one time in a dispute over territory quite a site to see and hear. Of course they wake you up in the morning like rosters only much louder. I know this is sick but I love their sound it is so primal, much like the wolves of my northern Minnesota.
As far as getting around I did not have a car but used taxis and the bicycles. It worked out just fine. I went on three organized trips from the lodge and they pick you up at your hotel and also I took Inter bus and they picked me up and dropped me off at El Tucan.
The location,(Jungle), helped me to relax quicker than if I had been in a less layed back hotel. I plan on coming back in Sept-Oct. for some Scuba Diving and snorkeling. Highly recommend El Tucan for those who are looking for a more adventurous, layed back stay. The price is quite reasonable and you get more than your moneys worth in atmosphere and service.

Room Tip: From my experience, I don't think their is a bad room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for El Tucan Jungle Lodge

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Very nice location surrounded by many birds, howler monkeys. and more. We were close enough to the ocean to hear the surf. Irene took us around the property to point out the sloths that make El Tucan their home. Hosts were very friendly and helpful. Great value with reasonable prices.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Irene and Wolfgang run a wonderful little Bed and Breakfast. Their cabanas feel like they are deep in the jungle and have big porches perfect for whiling away a morning (and afternoon) reading and looking for wildlife. Hear the sounds of birds instead of traffic. Breakfast and bike rental on site is convenient. Irene could not have been more helpful, going as far as purchasing a shuttle bus ticket for me ahead of time when I had trouble getting the bus company's website to work. She does everything she can to make life easy for her guests. There's even good wifi for your first-world fix.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank marblemount
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We went to Puerto Viejo without a hotel reservation and found El Tucan accidentally. We followed their signs to find a simple yet beautiful hotel. It's not fancy but clean and comfortable. If you have lots of outings planned and don't want a resort setting, this is the place. The price was great too.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank StacieKvanvig
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Very nice owners, nice place in a small jungle, very clean and charming lodges. Good breakfast. If you want to sleep till 07.00 a.m. in the morning bring your earplugs with you, because the jungle is alive, but we love that !
For sure we will come back.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cyrus R
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Just our best experience. We came for one night and staid finally three nights.
Owners are welcoming and helpful.
They showed us some of their neighbours : an iguana, a sloth, frogs !
All the place is charming, you're in a garden in the middle of the jungle !
Bungalows are big and perfectly clean , beds are confortable, etc ....
You have your own terrasse in front of the jungle.
A good location to visit : manzanillo & cahuita (& puerto viejo of course)

Room Tip: Only 4 bungalows and seems to me more or less the same
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lechoi
Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

My wife and I spent the better part if a week at El Tucan and we loved it! Beautiful rooms, helpful staff, amazing price! if you're hoping for a hotel room with air conditioning and concrete walls, then keep looking. It truly is perfect if you want the "jungle" experience.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank xxawd777xx
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cocles
Hotel Banana Azul
#2 of 12 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
La Finca Chica
La Finca Chica
#3 of 8 in Cocles

Been to El Tucan Jungle Lodge? Share your experiences!