“Hammocks and swings”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Hammocks and swings”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Our groups stayed for three days in caribe town and it was nothing short of amazing. I'm not sure Jessica knows the word no. Can you cut up this fruit we picked off the trees for breakfast? "Yes" can you do our laundry even though we are leaving in 3 hours? "Sure thing" can I ring the bell at any time to ask for some other silly thing? "You bet!"
The food was also amazing. Homemade banana bread, French toast, pancakes and eggs. And man are eggs delicious in Costa Rica!
But maybe my favorite thing was the hammock for each bungalow and the hanging swings found around the grounds. Nothing says relaxing in Costa Rica like rocking on a hammock.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Polish first
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed 6 August 2013

...because we enjoyed it so much I'm not quite sure how to put it into words. Jessica and Marcos were amazing hosts, such a pleasure to be a guest in their establishment. I enjoyed chatting with them here and there (they're always on the run making sure everything is perfect), they are genuinely interesting and wonderful people to be around.

My husband and I booked the bungalow with the a.c unit and on a couple of humid nights we were very thankful for it! The bungalows are located in the back of the resort nestled into the beautiful jungle greenery (kept lovely by Marcos), they come with a cute little porch area with outdoor seating and a hammock. Inside the room are two beds, a tv, and in ours an a.c unit. The room was always clean and felt very private. We spent most of our time outside of the room but it was very comfortable.

The main area is really lovely with plenty of seating for all of the guests, hammock chairs (those were my favorite to relax in), a bar where they'll make drinks on request, a shared kitchen where you can cook dinner if you'd like, a pretty little pool that backs the bar, and a pool area to bask in the sun. Also an outdoor shower, two very clean bathrooms, and a hidden little "spa" area where you can get a massage. My only regret is that I didn't book one!

Jessica will help you book anything and everything from shuttles to excursions to spa days. Everything was extremely simple with her help, and that is really important especially if you don't know the area or the language! They're always available to call you a taxi or get you a beer. Breakfast is included and comes with homemade jelly, which is so good! They'll even do your laundry for a small price.

They also provide bikes to rent daily or weekly. We rented two bikes for the week and it was such a fun way of getting around. The beach is just across the street and through some jungle (accessible via gravel or dirt roads). Puerto Viejo is about a 5 min cab ride away, where you have a strip of shops, restaurants, bars and beautiful beach area. The Jaguar Rescue is a 5 min bike ride, literally just down the street and a must go to! Manzanillo is less then a 15 min cab ride away and in between is Playa Chiquita, Punta Uva, and Playa Grande...all surrounded by beautiful jungle, wildlife, beaches, and with some restaurants and shops nestled here and there.

Jessica and Marcos can be as involved as you want/need them to be. They cater very well to each guest. We never felt pressured nor did we ever feel ignored, we honestly felt right at home the entire time.

I would highly highly recommend Caribe Town, it is a gem!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OliviaAHinkle
caribetown, Owner at Caribe Town, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
It was a pleasure to meet you and host your honeymoon. We're so glad you loved it here like we do and we hope to see you again soon! Pura vida!
Jessica and Marc
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 1 August 2013

My best friend Jessica and I just got back from Cocles, and Caribe Town. We had an amazing stay, the breakfast was the perfect start to each morning before we took a very short ride to a number of beaches. My friend said the jam was the best thing she ate while in Costa Rica. The owners are beyond helpful, and were more then happy to answer any questions we had about the hotel as well as our travel and trip in general. If I get the chance to go back, I would not hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
caribetown, Owner at Caribe Town, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
We loved your adventurous spirit! Glad you enjoyed our breakfast and our jams...we love being a bit "hippie" and making as much as we can ourselves and from rducts grown at the hotel. Come back and visit! Pura vida!
Reviewed 9 July 2013

My wife and I loved this place for our honeymoon. They made it so special for us. Would highly recommend it for couples or anyone else. Great breakfast, great people, great accommodations, can't go wrong. I hope we can make it back someday.

Room Tip: We loved our romantic center bungalow
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Brookings, South Dakota
Reviewed 4 July 2013

I actually was not a guest of Caribe Town, but I may as well have been. I stayed up the road in a very bare-minimum rental unit for twenty days. My mother and I traveled together without any real plans in mind or any idea of what we'd do once we got to Costa Rica. Our first day we were without means of communication until we met Marc and Jessica. Meeting them saved our trip in so many ways. They were the first to make us feel welcome in Puerto Viejo, allowing us internet access to communicate with our families, use of telephone, laundry services, breakfast, drinks, recycling, bike rentals... you name it. Such incredibly friendly and accommodating hosts to people who were not even their hotel guests. They really gave us the "inside scoop" to Puerto Viejo, all of the little known secrets to making the most out of your time and experiences. We appreciated this very much living on our incredibly limited budgets. Undoubtedly, one of the best aspects of this hotel is the friendly and helpful services provided by Marc and Jessica. The next best attribute is the lovely, well-maintained gardens. After several hikes and bike rides throughout the town I was able to see more wildlife from this property than any other place I'd visited while in Costa Rica. For nature lovers, look no further than your own front porch. I was able to see large blue morpho butterflies, a baby green iguana, green poison dart frogs, red-eyed tree frog eggs, monkeys, sloths, and a variety of beautiful birds including toucans.

If you are looking for a home-like, friendly, well-advised experience I highly recommend Caribe Town.

Room Tip: Grab a unit with AC, the jungle can be quite hot!!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
caribetown, Owner at Caribe Town, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
It was our pleasure to meet you and your mom and we are so glad you enjoyed our space and our services. We really do love our jobs and it was great to be able to share our corner of paradise with you for a while and learn from you both as well. Pura vida and come back soon!
Minneapolis
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I stayed at Caribe Town from June 14-20 and it was nothing short of amazing. The Caribbean coast is absolutely stunning and the atmosphere is filled with the laid back attitude that only a beach community can achieve, I've never been so relaxed in all my life. We stayed in two cabins on the property that Jessica and Marc manage, upon our arrival Jessica told us to just let her know if we needed anything and she wasn't kidding, at one point she crawled under our deck to replace the gas tank for the oven. But really my review started before we even arrive, traveling with 7 people tends to lead to some challenges but Jessica was wonderful with communication before we arrived, answering any and all questions we had, arranging transportation for us and greeting us when we rolled in at 11pm. We also explored the surrounding towns via bikes, adorable and the best way to do it- you'll see what I mean when you get there. The beach was a short walk down the "driveway" -90 second walk at the most. That beach some nasty rip tides (but beautiful sunrises) so we hung out at the pool on the property or rode our bikes up to Punta Uva one day (do that!) We didn't arrive with much of a plan so when we wanted to do something Jessica was there setting up everything or giving suggestions- we went snorkeling one day, visited the animal refuge down the road, got chocolate facials and checked out some restaurants in town- Cafe Rojo & Tammar's (sp?) -great food and drink. There is a little convenience shop within walking distance with produce, alcohol and packaged food/ingredients- we made most of our meals ourselves (budget and all) didn't ever have a problem with utensils or storage, all provided!
My bit about this area- if you're looking for Americanize luxury you're not going to find it here. This is Costa Rica at it's finest, there are bugs, there are animals, there are noises- soak it all in- it's beautiful- who gets to hear monkeys in the morning on a day to day basis? We were working in clinics in the central valley 3 weeks prior to our arrival at Caribe Town where we heard some rumblings of safety issues in the area. I'm a woman in my mid 20s who speaks very broken Spanish and at no point did I feel unsafe. Would I walk around by myself at night? No, but I wouldn't do that anywhere. It's definitely a bunch of old and young surfers, can you find nicer people then that? But I digress.
Finally, besides having a bar and lots of fresh fruit for spiked (or non) smoothies; for a small cost Jessica and Marc will make you breakfast- not only is Costa Rican coffee to die for, the homemade bread and jam they made is delicious. I could have lived on that stuff alone.
When we left at 6am on our departure dates Marc was there seeing us off. They truly have the balance of "being around but not always around" mastered, which i think it super important for a B&B atomsphere. I hope you choose to check this spot out! I really do feel like I discovered a hidden gem in paradise.

Oh PS being fluent is spanish is always a plus but it's pretty tourist orientated there and you can certainly get by well enough- cervazas, gracias,pura vida - you're set.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
caribetown, Owner at Caribe Town, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
We have the best jobs in the world...even when it means crawling under a house in the evening to change gas. So happy you enjoyed it here, please come back and visit!
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 29 June 2013

It was my first time in Costa Rica and a friend had recommended visiting Puerto Viejo so I started looking up accommodations and this place had some of the best reviews for the price. My boyfriend and I booked a week here in late June. Their website was very helpful in checking the availability of rooms. We just missed getting a room with a king; we got the room with a double and a twin, which worked out just fine. Upon our arrival Jessica and Marco were there to give us a warm welcome and get us oriented on the place. It looked just like the photos, with beautiful plants everywhere and a new frog pond that Marco had put in. We actually rescued a green and black poison dart frog from the pool, which was exciting! Our bungalow was clean and comfortable, and we felt right at home. There was no closet, and while there were some built-in shelves, some wall hooks would've been nice. Our room didn't have AC, but we did have a ceiling fan, and since this was their rainy season the temperature was just right for us. At night we could hear the pounding surf across the street and insect noises from the jungle all around--we thought it was very cool.

We also really enjoyed Jessica's home-cooked breakfasts every morning; it was always eggs, chorizo, toast (with homemade jam), and fruit, but you can definitely customize the way you want your eggs and what kind of fruit you prefer, etc. The coffee was always hot and fresh and it was a great way to start the day. Planning tours and activities was a breeze; we'd just tell Jessica what we wanted to do and she'd make the arrangements with the local tour operators and all the transportation was included, which was great. During our stay we did ziplining, white water rafting and kayaking and had a fantastic time. We also visited the Jaguar Rescue animal sanctuary nearby, which was a great way to see some of the native animals up close. On more relaxing days we'd just walk along the beach to town or just hang out on our porch in the hammocks and read. Pretty good wifi connection here, too--we were able to do all our computing stuff with no problems.

Since this was their low season there weren't that many people at one time and it was pretty quiet, which we liked. We weren't looking for a raucous party scene and we appreciated Caribe Town's low-key charms. They made our stay in Costa Rica pleasant, fun, and stress-free--what more can you ask from a vacation?

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
caribetown, Owner at Caribe Town, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
We were glad to have you. net time you have to come back over the weekend and for breakfast you can also try our pancakes or french toast with homemade syrup or gallo pinto, the local Costa Rican specialty! We would be happy to see you again. Pura vida!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cocles
Hotel Banana Azul
#2 of 12 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Passion Fruit Lodge
Passion Fruit Lodge
#1 of 12 in Cahuita

Been to Caribe Town? Share your experiences!