All reviews pura vida casa gecko across the street costa rica chorizo laid back playa cocles coconut french toast great bungalows jaguar rescue front porch location is great shared kitchen breakfast was delicious san jose full kitchen wonderful hosts
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Our groups stayed for three days in caribe town and it was nothing short of amazing. I'm not sure Jessica knows the word no. Can you cut up this fruit we picked off the trees for breakfast? "Yes" can you do our laundry even though we are leaving in 3 hours? "Sure thing" can I ring the bell at any time to ask for some other silly thing? "You bet!"
The food was also amazing. Homemade banana bread, French toast, pancakes and eggs. And man are eggs delicious in Costa Rica!
But maybe my favorite thing was the hammock for each bungalow and the hanging swings found around the grounds. Nothing says relaxing in Costa Rica like rocking on a hammock.

Date of stay: August 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 August 2013

...because we enjoyed it so much I'm not quite sure how to put it into words. Jessica and Marcos were amazing hosts, such a pleasure to be a guest in their establishment. I enjoyed chatting with them here and there (they're always on the run making sure everything is perfect), they are genuinely interesting and wonderful people to be around.

My husband and I booked the bungalow with the a.c unit and on a couple of humid nights we were very thankful for it! The bungalows are located in the back of the resort nestled into the beautiful jungle greenery (kept lovely by Marcos), they come with a cute little porch area with outdoor seating and a hammock. Inside the room are two beds, a tv, and in ours an a.c unit. The room was always clean and felt very private. We spent most of our time outside of the room but it was very comfortable.

The main area is really lovely with plenty of seating for all of the guests, hammock chairs (those were my favorite to relax in), a bar where they'll make drinks on request, a shared kitchen where you can cook dinner if you'd like, a pretty little pool that backs the bar, and a pool area to bask in the sun. Also an outdoor shower, two very clean bathrooms, and a hidden little "spa" area where you can get a massage. My only regret is that I didn't book one!

Jessica will help you book anything and everything from shuttles to excursions to spa days. Everything was extremely simple with her help, and that is really important especially if you don't know the area or the language! They're always available to call you a taxi or get you a beer. Breakfast is included and comes with homemade jelly, which is so good! They'll even do your laundry for a small price.

They also provide bikes to rent daily or weekly. We rented two bikes for the week and it was such a fun way of getting around. The beach is just across the street and through some jungle (accessible via gravel or dirt roads). Puerto Viejo is about a 5 min cab ride away, where you have a strip of shops, restaurants, bars and beautiful beach area. The Jaguar Rescue is a 5 min bike ride, literally just down the street and a must go to! Manzanillo is less then a 15 min cab ride away and in between is Playa Chiquita, Punta Uva, and Playa Grande...all surrounded by beautiful jungle, wildlife, beaches, and with some restaurants and shops nestled here and there.

Jessica and Marcos can be as involved as you want/need them to be. They cater very well to each guest. We never felt pressured nor did we ever feel ignored, we honestly felt right at home the entire time.

I would highly highly recommend Caribe Town, it is a gem!

Date of stay: August 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank OliviaAHinkle
caribetown, Owner at Caribe Town, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

It was a pleasure to meet you and host your honeymoon. We're so glad you loved it here like we do and we hope to see you again soon! Pura vida!
Jessica and Marc

Reviewed 1 August 2013

My best friend Jessica and I just got back from Cocles, and Caribe Town. We had an amazing stay, the breakfast was the perfect start to each morning before we took a very short ride to a number of beaches. My friend said the jam was the best thing she ate while in Costa Rica. The owners are beyond helpful, and were more then happy to answer any questions we had about the hotel as well as our travel and trip in general. If I get the chance to go back, I would not hesitate to stay here.

Date of stay: July 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends

We loved your adventurous spirit! Glad you enjoyed our breakfast and our jams...we love being a bit "hippie" and making as much as we can ourselves and from rducts grown at the hotel. Come back and visit! Pura vida!

Reviewed 9 July 2013

My wife and I loved this place for our honeymoon. They made it so special for us. Would highly recommend it for couples or anyone else. Great breakfast, great people, great accommodations, can't go wrong. I hope we can make it back someday.

Room tip: We loved our romantic center bungalow
Date of stay: June 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2013

I actually was not a guest of Caribe Town, but I may as well have been. I stayed up the road in a very bare-minimum rental unit for twenty days. My mother and I traveled together without any real plans in mind or any idea of what we'd do once we got to Costa Rica. Our first day we were without means of communication until we met Marc and Jessica. Meeting them saved our trip in so many ways. They were the first to make us feel welcome in Puerto Viejo, allowing us internet access to communicate with our families, use of telephone, laundry services, breakfast, drinks, recycling, bike rentals... you name it. Such incredibly friendly and accommodating hosts to people who were not even their hotel guests. They really gave us the "inside scoop" to Puerto Viejo, all of the little known secrets to making the most out of your time and experiences. We appreciated this very much living on our incredibly limited budgets. Undoubtedly, one of the best aspects of this hotel is the friendly and helpful services provided by Marc and Jessica. The next best attribute is the lovely, well-maintained gardens. After several hikes and bike rides throughout the town I was able to see more wildlife from this property than any other place I'd visited while in Costa Rica. For nature lovers, look no further than your own front porch. I was able to see large blue morpho butterflies, a baby green iguana, green poison dart frogs, red-eyed tree frog eggs, monkeys, sloths, and a variety of beautiful birds including toucans.

If you are looking for a home-like, friendly, well-advised experience I highly recommend Caribe Town.

Room tip: Grab a unit with AC, the jungle can be quite hot!!
Date of stay: June 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
caribetown, Owner at Caribe Town, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

It was our pleasure to meet you and your mom and we are so glad you enjoyed our space and our services. We really do love our jobs and it was great to be able to share our corner of paradise with you for a while and learn from you both as well. Pura vida and come back soon!