“Visit on a Flying Day”

Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre
More attraction details
Owner description: The Centre is home to Lancaster NX611 and a museum based on a WWII airfield with original control tower, Escaping Society museum, Home Front exhibition, Hampden restoration project, memorial chapel and many memorabilia exhibitions. The Centre is open Mon-Sat. Closed Sundays. During the Summer the Lancaster performs taxy runs usually once a week. It is possible to have a taxy ride on the Lancaster, booking is essential as rides get booked up months in advance.
Reviewed 10 July 2014

One of the Best days out for ages. Get up close and i mean close with a Lancaster - Bring your camera and step back in time. A really great day out.

2  Thank John T

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Having spent most of my adult life facinated by military history generally and the WW2 bomber offensive in particular, this place was and is a must see. The centre would be a wonderful place to spend a day browsing the myriad displays and exhibits even without a Lancaster sat on the apron. That fact that you are able to see and hear one of the greatest aircraft ever built within spitting distance is quite amazing.

I was one of the fortunate few able to taxi inside NX611 and I can quite honestly say that it was one of the most visceral and facinating experiences of my life.

The dedication of the team at East Kirkby is total, the forethought of the Panton brothers to preserve and maintain this icon is a stellar achievement and should be applauded. The Lincolnshire Aviation Museum is a fitting tribute to the 55,573 aircrew of Bomber Command who made the ultimate sacrifice. Among that number is Fred and Harold Pantons elder brother Christopher who was killed on the disasterous Nuremberg raid in March 1944.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

A fascinating day out. So much to see here, you need a full day. We were really lucky on the day we visited and saw a Dakota (we think) which took off from the airfield. We also saw the Lancaster Taxy run as well, brilliant. This would be my number one attraction in Lincolnshire

Reviewed 2 July 2014

After making a phone call to the aviation centre to arrange a day out foe the residents of the care home I work it was a brilliant day for them looking around different things with the residents telling their stories watching the Lancaster do its taxi runs amazing day out the staff from making the call to all of them on the day fantastic job they all do the best part of the day was Sat with the residents and enjoying the things they did in the war

1  Thank shazevans1969
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I attended a "Bikers Night" in June 2014 to witness the restored Lancaster Taxy run.

It was a great night with many interesting displays and momentous of the second world war being on display, with well explained exhibits, and an excellent "canteen" where we could obtain a range of well prepared food ranging from a cake and coffee to a substantial meal.

The evening was extremely well marshalled and organised, the high spot being a Taxy Run by the Lancaster, one of the only examples of this Wartime Bomber left in existence, and one which the Management of the East Kirkby Centre are determined will Fly again before too much longer, it is worth seeing just to understand the conditions all wartime airmen and women had to bear on behalf of their country.

It seemed to me like there were over 4000 people and 3000 Motorbikes at the event, I have never seen so many bikers in Lincolnshire in one place, maybe due to the great weather on the night,all of them were having a great time at the Event

Unfortunately for me I lost my "Sat Nav", so it coloured my evening a little, I reported it to the Marshalls and was directed to Julie, who said they had nothing handed in, but would look for it at the end of the evening. I obviously "wrote it off" in my mind, and still enjoyed the rest of the evening.

Last night, 1st July Julie is at my door with my Sat Nav having fired it up and pressed the "Home" button. What great and honest service, how nice to have caring attraction owners in Lincolnshire!

A Must see, and be assured of a great welcome, a fair deal, and a caring customer relations team

Thanks East Kirkby Aviation Centre