“Not my first choice”

Ettington Chase Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ettington
Reviewed 21 August 2012

There are several important notes to take when booking this hotel. Location - far from the city. Service and food quality - average. Separate hot and cold water taps

First, the hotel looks nice on the outside with a big garden and many parking places. When you enter though it reminds of a Holiday Inn.

Now back to the main points. Going to Stratford-upon-Avon one would like to visit the city. This is almost impossible when staying in this hotel as you have to wait between 25 and 40 minutes for a taxi to come and then spend another 20 or 30 minutes to get to the city centre.

Again due to the location, I ate lunch/dinner at the hotel bar. 1) The waiting time to order was quite long having in mind the bar had only a few customers each time I visited. 2) The food was OK but not as tasty as one would expect for the prices.

And finally, even if wanting to keep the "ancient" look of the hotel, I find it quite frustrating when the hot and cold water taps are separate and to clean your face you have to go from the cold tap to the hot one in order to get warm water. The shower also looked like in need for a polish.

So overall it was a mixed experience.

And to finish on a positive note, I think the place would be really great for a party or a family event that would have people entertained within the hotel premises at all times.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors for a better view and more privacy.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Clean hotel, friendly helpful staff. Food was good evening and breakfast. Good value Superbreaks stay as the dinner for two was thrown in on the first night. Most rooms are in a purpose built extension and not part of the original old house. This is slightly disappointing and although the rooms are clean and functional, they are nothing special. I'd say more 3*, than 4*. Small things like no sewing kit, shoe cleaner or shower cap which tend to come with most 4*s.
Other small irritants - no crisps or nuts at bar, just expensive "bar snacks". And £2.50 to pay balance by credit card and that they deduct £50 per night on your credit card in lieu of bar bills etc? Untrusting?

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Just got back from a one night stay, after reading reviews before we left asked to stay in the old part of the hotel so glad we did room was very clean and comfortable with a very large bathroom. The staff did not seem very happy at all, after unpacking we went to the lounge for a drink the bar was not very inviting could not sit down in lounge as table was covered in ants so went outside in the courtyard the hotel is more a conference center mon/Friday and with empty public areas at weekends. A shame this hotel could be great with the right atmosphere Stratford upon Avon is great and we will be back but not at this hotel. (bath robes were so rough and had to ask for extra milk and tea for the room also no biscuits) not what you except from a 4 star hotel

Room Tip: Ask for old building over looking garden
2  Thank Deborah E
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I feel cheeky complaining as I did not pay a great deal for the room, through last minute.com, however would have been extremely disappointed if I had.  The official pictures show a lovely manor house, however the bulk of the accommodation is similar to my old student halls of residence, a modern red brick building, lacking character.  The receptionist was polite, if lacking a little sincerity with the 5 minutes well rehearsed welcome speech, given without a pause for breath.
Not being a business customer, I only glanced at the conference facilities, which appeared to be adequate and spacious. Breakfast was offered at £10 per person or £14 if we just turned up.  I did not take the offer, so can not comment.
The room however was extremely disappointing. The décor was basic, colour scheme bizarre, walls and bathroom were grubby.  I even took to cleaning some of the walls myself and with little effort easily removing the dirty fingerprints left by visitors past.
Kettle, tea and Coffee were nicely stored on a pull out shelf in the wardrobe, which appeared convenient at first, until you attempted to plug the kettle in, to discover no socket point near. There was one pillow per guest. The bathroom, with the plywood side to the bath, loosely screwed in, did not add to the room.
I did find a multi socket behind the bed, but it was to dirty and dusty to touch.  The headboard was thick with dust (see picture), as were the lamps.
I am not a person to stay in normally; however the £16 taxi fair to Stratford upon Avon, meant I made more of the Hotel’s facilities than I normally do. The Pool J & S were ok.
I would not stay again and appreciate why it is only rated 21 out of 29 on Trip Advisor, which is very disappointing for a four star hotel.  To be honest I did not complain, but you would not expect the need to in such a place. Poor.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Having just got back from a two night trip with my boyfriend to the supposed '4 star luxury country house hotel', I have to say overall I was pretty disappointed with the hotel accommodation as in my opinion it contrasted greatly with the description on laterooms, and was nothing more than a glorified travel lodge, with an extremely expensive breakfast at additional cost of £14.95 per person, which we didn't go for. The rooms were to a generally clean standard but very basic, and we were given a twin initially even though we booked a double, and so were moved to a double on our second night which was slightly cleaner, as the twin had dirty teaspoons and our spare towel had dark yellow stains on it, we did not use it. The pool facilites were however very nice and we made the most of the pool and jacuzzi, but apart from that did not spend much other time in the hotel other than to sleep (there was a very very noisy wedding party on the first night which we were not warned about). I couldn't fault this hotel if it did what it said on the tin,however it was described as something much grander than what it actually is, and the main picture of the building is actually not the main accomodation block, so don't be fooled by the historical and beautiful looking reception building, as the rooms are housed in unattractive blocks alongside the gorgeous reception building.

Room Tip: If there is a wedding going on, ask to be on the opposite side of the building, as it makes the worl...
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Just had a 2-night break here and had a great time.Well placed for Stratford and the Cotswolds...very clean and comfortable room and (best part) really good dinner in restaurant.The staff are helpful and very friendly...all this done via "Superbreak" which it really was....I just wish that I could find one of the Travelodges which customers have said it "resembles"...I'd be in Paradise !!

Room Tip: Had Room 313...v.good
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank beatlebabe
Reviewed 11 August 2012

We booked in for one night on a last minute secret deal basis so the stay was good value for money. The staff could not have been more helpful or polite. Our room and bathroom were relatively spacious and clean. The pool and jacuzzi were also clean and quiet. We swam twice. Our bed was comfortable and we slept well. There was a wedding but we were not disturbed by noise. Breakfast was of a good standard but, in our view, over priced; a pity as we had been very impressed with everything else.

Stayed: August 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ettington
Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel
#9 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
The Stratford, A QHotel
The Stratford, A QHotel
#6 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to Ettington Chase Hotel? Share your experiences!