Ettington Chase Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
The New Inn(Stratford-upon-Avon)
Hampton Lodge(Stratford-upon-Avon)
Excellent 5/5
Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
Good 3.5/5
  • Pool
Stratford Limes Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
Excellent 5/5
1,614 results
All reviewsettington chasegroupon dealleisure facilitiesjacuzzi and saunaevening mealmurder mystery weekendchequers innstratford upon avonbuffet breakfastbar pricessuperior roomlovely groundsweekend breaktrouser pressboth morningsshort drivefirst morning
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 October 2012

The first impression was good, a manor house in large grounds. We were welcomed by the reception staff and gave directions to our room, which was on the ground floor along way from reception which looked just like arriving at a Premier Inn, having paid £97.00 per night felt disappointed. The room was comfortable but had a small window with no outlook. The first thing we noticed was that most of the guests were on business and the focus was on them, making sure their needs were met. As a couple on a break we felt a little unwelcome. The breakfast was good but unless you asked for toast if was not provided. We were not impressed with the dinner, never had such a bland leek and potato soup. It is not a hotel we would return for a break and think it should just be called a conference centre.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sallyf834
Reviewed 22 October 2012

We went there for an old friends’ week-end reunion (40 years). The hotel is a great location for Stratford upon Avon. The reception was fine when booking in, but booking out proved to be a bit of trial when the itemised bill had to be explained to me several times (I run my own business and know a little about presenting invoices). The 4 star hotel is basically a huge standard European style chain (the photograph is only the recepotion area and is misleading). It is geared to business conferencing and events. It lacks the charm and character of a smaller hotel. That said, the room was fine: TV, fridge; safe, most normal facilities and tea and coffee. It was clean and tidy. The room rate was very good value for money. The week-end we went, there were several conferences and a wedding being held and the hotel was busy. Yet we were reasonably well looked after when we dined-in and the staff were helpful.
But I guess the 4 stars refer to facilities - and although there is a nice pool; a Jacuzzi, a sauna and a gym, the food quality was poor. Lastly I appreciate that profit has to be made and table wine is a good revenue stream, but if the upper levels are going to be charged for the wine then quality should be served.
A very average 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: One of our friends experienced a problem in being allocated a room that previously had been one used by smokers. If that happend to you just be aware and go back to reception and ask them to change it . Also Breakfast at the weekends is a melee after about 9 am.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ROZNBAZ
Reviewed 20 October 2012 via mobile

Firstly the hotel is in a great location, little village (Ettington) setting and hotel is set in the middle of big grounds. If you use it as a base for Stratford upon Avon then it's a 15 min drive.
When I booked the hotel, I thought it would be an older style hotel in the middle of nowhere. Certainly location was fine, very peaceful and not to be faulted. However the appearance of the reception building was old and just what we expected, it's a shame the rest of the hotel was basically a giant extension which didn't fit in and made it into a Holiday Inn.
We had a standard room on the ground floor, first room we swapped as it smelt a little funky- cant describe it, except maybe they were smoking rooms that have been turned to non smoking. Still the staff swapped us straight away with no issues.
The room was ok, nothing to write home about, just like a Premier Inn room. Tea and coffee in the room, a small flat screen tv and blinds that were not quite blackout, so let light in around the edges.
Spa and gym facilities were good, nice pool and jacuzzi and a sauna (accessed via changing rooms). You will need to get a towel from reception, a code for the changing room door and take a pound coin for the locker. Gym was small but had everything I'd expect to find in a hotel gym.
Restaurant was full the first night when we arrived and the menu was good, so we booked for the second night (Sunday) and were the only booking with a different menu, not so good, so we left and went out for dinner.
The Chequers Inn is in Ettington and apparently very good, it was fully booked and didn't open Sunday evenings, so book early if you want to eat there.
We did eat at another nearby pub called Houndshill inn, which was excellent and good value.
Cleaning staff were ok, room was clean but didn't expect them to knock at 9am on a Sunday- so put the sign up if you want to lay in.
Basically the hotel was more of a conferencing centre than a 4 star hotel in the middle of nowhere. I'm sure if your there on business it will be excellent but if your looking for a nice quiet hotel with character, this is not it.
Basically I can only describe it as a Holiday Inn or Premier Inn. A very average 4 star hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank RBM141011
Reviewed 19 October 2012

I stayed here for a conference. It is set in lovely grounds. The main hotel is an old manor style house with modern block attached with the bedroom blocks. I booked an excellent rate for B&B and I thought the room was great.
Really nice looking pool and sauna, with small gym.

Buffet breakfast mediocre but for the price was fine!

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 October 2012

I have stayed at this hotel in the past and have always been very happy with the service but this time things were not so good. The room, when we arrived, was lovely, good sized, clean and comfortable. The following day after the room had been serviced things went downhill, the bed looked as though the covers had been thrown on, the coffee and milk had not been replaced and neither had the shower gels etc. The restaurant was a real disappointment - dinner on the first evening I asked for pear cider to which I was told they didn't stock pear cider (funny how I got one at the bar later on), I ordered the cajun chicken breast gormet burger with seasoned wedges and coleslaw, I got a plain chicken breast burger, chips and no coleslaw. Asked about this and asked for mayonaise and ketchup, nothing arrived. Waiter did apologise when he came to ask if we wanted desert. The food the following evening was a buffet at the function, very bland and boring. Breakfast wasn't much better - untoasted toast, having to find someone to ask for coffee, cold plates for the cooked breakfast buffet, not that it mattered because the bacon and sausage were barely warm. All in all not an experience I would like to repeat which is a great shame.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business