“Second Chance Saloon”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ettington
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Second Chance Saloon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Following a disappointing initial stay, we returned to find the place revamped! More info provided from reception on the fab pool and spa area, child friendly pool oh, and a brilliant sun garden with boules and hoops, deck chairs and lawn to relax on. We got sunburned whilst relaxing on the terrace watching our 8 year old play the boules etc. The room was acceptable for this high level of hotel, and the maid left very welcome clean linen outside our room, as we had the do not disturb sign up. Breakfast is much improved, and the restaurant food goes very well with their wine. We asked for a medley of the deserts - a non menu item - no problem, out came a medley for us to try! I recommend you ask for the medley from Mike. Other diners were salvating at our platter of deserts! The staff were great and I would stay there again. I just hope they don't shorten the childrens swim times by replacing them with... well a rude arobics instructor who is not employed by the hotel. Keep up the good work and we'll be back for those deserts! Kevin.

Room Tip: Tell them that you always use trip advisor to make sure that other people know how good their hotel...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Ettington C, General Manager at Ettington Chase Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for the positive review following your recent stay with us. I was pleased that you took the opportunity to experience the 'real' Ettington Chase and I hope you choose to stay with us again in the future.

Stuart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Leamington Spa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and I recently booked a suite at the hotel to celebrate our 25 anniversary. My wife purchase the break as a gift through Groupon or similar offer, on arrival this was loudly pointed out that we were on discounted package. This was disappointing as I was unaware and also didn't feel the other guests should be made aware of this matter! On arriving at the room, through corridors that were stained and with paper and paint peeling, we found the room to be wonderfully appointed (although no sky TV) with a fantastic bathroom ( we had paid extra for the upgrade to a suite) However on closer inspection many of the fittings were worn and the decoration and upkeep was poor. The restaurant was good and food acceptable although NOT worthy of commendation. The health club was small but adequate for an afternoon of relaxation although once again the changing rooms were very tired with broken lockers and mouldy benches. All in all an enjoyable break but the hotel is in desperate need of some TLC and money spent of general maintenance.

Room Tip: wait till they have redecorated and undertaken essential maintenance work.........assuming that this...
1 Thank FulfordHeath
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I was sorry to read that there were several factors which disappointed you and I will bring forward the planned maintenance schedule for the bedroom you stayed in to address the issues you highlighted. Our reception team will always give as much information to our guests as possible on check in to ensure those booked on inclusive packages are fully aware of the inclusions within it so that they may make the most of their time with us, I apologise if this caused some inconvenience upon your arrival.
I hope you choose to stay with PH Hotels again.
Stuart

Travellers are raving about these Ettington hotels

Rainford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

My husband booked this hotel for a relaxing weekend; I am heavily pregnant and he thought a short break would help me relax. This hotel did not disappoint.

Prior to arrival, he had phoned and asked for a quiet room with a view. I am so pleased he did this as our room (no 12) looked onto the main stately home which you see in the advertisements and also the beautiful gardens. I am a very light sleeper at the moment but I can assure you that there was no noise, despite there being weddings on for the both the nights we stayed. I have read other reviews which contradict this, I definitely think we were staying in the quieter block which was a great move. The other blocks looked more like university halls from the outside but we didn't venture inside these. Our room was spotless, spacious and the bathroom was modern with a good powerful shower. I found the bed mattress to be rather soft, but then again, I am over sensitive at the moment (my husband thought it was fine). Also we had no safety deposit box (apparently it was being fixed), but the receptionist let us put our iPads etc in the hotel safe upon request which really wasn't a problem. My main point for improvement is that you could only use wifi for an hour at a time (on one device) and then you had to wait a further three hours to use it again. The receptionist said this was a recent issue IT were resolving, but the hotel room literature and trip adviser reviews state otherwise. The hotel needs to sort this out; I wondered what people did who needed to work. This worked in my favour I suppose as it stopped me checking work emails!

Breakfast was delicious. It runs 8am-11am but if you arrive after 10am, they have run out of certain hot foods (and you have to wait for a table), so I'd recommend going earlier.

We didn't have time to swim in the hotel which was a shame. We also ate out both nights; the Art Kitchen in Warwick (Thai food- amazing dishes and service) and The White Horse (one of the the two local pubs within walking distance from the hotel) the second night. The food in The White Horse was fabulous- all homemade and massive portions! Great value for money and the chef came out to chat which I liked. Friendly, country atmosphere. I was glad I hadn't got dressed up though as it's a typical traditional 'pub' inside, like one you would find in the Lakes after a day walking. I was relieved I didn't wear dress and heels! Interestingly, everyone eating in our section of the pub was staying at the hotel (I recognised every group).

Stratford is a 10 minute drive away; such a beautiful place and we will definitely be returning. We did the RSC tour which was well worth the £7.50. We also did the canal boat; 'Jennifer May' I think- the boat didn't go far so I think next time we would hire our own 'speed boat' but this was £30 compared to £6 each on the canal trip.

On balance, this was a wonderful, relaxing weekend and I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ring up before arrival to request a quiet room with a view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your positive review of Ettington Chase. I hope you choose to stay with us again in the near future.

Maidenhead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

This is a conference hotel- they make no secret of this, so when we booked for a long weekend away we knew from the outset this wasn't going to be a character hotel. However we found all the staff attentive and welcoming, and the whole organisation efficiently run. The rooms are very clean, but starting to look a bit tired- the carpets need replacing, the bathrooms need updating and the TV offerings are below standard (fuzzy analogue distribution with the aspect ratio set wrong- stretchyvision!). The rooms are, however, extremely well soundproofed- there was a wedding reception on the first night with a disco- we didn't hear a peep.

Breakfast is of a very high standard- hot and cold buffet- we had this included in our package, but I understand it can be a somewhat pricey extra otherwise.

The indoor pool is good, but limted by "kids' splashtime" which seems to be scheduled just when you may fancy a pre dinner dip.

The bar is spacious and prices are good, but it does seem to have the same atmosphere as an airport departure lounge.

The 11 acre grounds should be an asset to the hotel, but are underutilised- this is just an 11 acre expanse of lawn- we were a bit disappointed to find that the outdoor games pictured on the website were nowhere to be seen. We came back from Stratford a bit early one afternoon to explore the grounds- twenty minutes later we went out again!

So in conclusion, positives: the staff, breakfast, a good night's sleep; things to work on: refurbishment of the rooms, the grounds.

Room Tip: 2nd floor room, away from the function rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your positive review of Ettington Chase. We have recently employed a Grounds person who is already making great strides into utiising the gardens and injecting some colour onto our landscape. I hope you choose to visit us again next year where hopefully you will be able to enjoy the fruits of his labour.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

My husband and I book a room at this hotel hoping for a peaceful stay in the Cotswolds, our experience was anything but.
My first impression of the hotel was good, the lawn was well maintained and all looked as it should.
Sadly that initial impression was short lived when we turned the bend to see what looked like an office block. This isn't shown on the website. What is shown it the traditional building which housed the reception area.
The staff where very uninterested when we checked in and didn't even acknowledge us when we returned to the hotel for the evening.
The room was grubby with tatty carpets and the bed was so uncomfortable we were unable to get a decent nights sleep.
There was a Murder Mystery weekend going on which we where only made aware of at checking which killed any chance of the peaceful stay we had hoped for.
To add to the Murder Mystery group there was also a function in the evening which played loud music late into the night.
Breakfast was standard at best and to add further frustration another couple was shown to our table
while we where getting our breakfast off the buffet.
The surroundings are so beautiful, please do yourself a favour and stay at one of the many B&B which complement the area rather then Ettington Chase which is generic, not worth the price and highly unfriendly.

3 Thank NamibManda
Ettington C, General Manager at Ettington Chase Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Sorry to read of your disappointment following your recent visit. Our website carries a full suite of images of the hotel which are available to view prior to your arrival. It is not normal practice to contact guests before their arrival to advise of other groups either staying in the hotel or utilising our facilities and we do our best to meet the expectations of all our guests whilst they are staying with us. As a 130 bedroom hotel we are generally busy over the weekend with various events taking place so I suggest on this occasion we were not the appropriate venue for a quiet weekend break akin to that which a small B&B hotel could offer.
I hope you choose to stay with PH hotels again in the future.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

We visited for a long weekend - Friday to Sunday to celebrate both our birthdays and had a suite in the old house (No.8). On arrival at 3.15 our room was not ready and we were eventually told that the previous occupant decided to stay another day, no one could find him to make him vacate the room, so consequently we did not go into our room until 4.45 p.m. However there was a bottle of champagne in the room, thanks. Tennyson suite was lovely with a huge bathroom and huge bed and very comfortable. Saturday was my birthday - opening my cards in bed and there was a fire drill so off to the car park in various states of dress ! (Not the hotel's fault, and it was a genuine problem) However, I was then presented with a lovely bouquet of flowers, again thank you. The breakfast was lovely with plenty of choice. Thought the bar prices a bit expensive but probably like all hotels. The staff were helpful especially the housekeeping girl from Poland - sorry forgot her name - and the Restaurant Manager was also very helpful. It was a shame we could not order the weather - it was a bit cold with a very strong wind but we had a really good time and would stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms in the old house have more character
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ettington C, General Manager at Ettington Chase Hotel, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Thank you for your positive review following your recent stay with us and I'm glad you enjoyed your birthday celebrations.
Apologies for the inconvenience of the fire alarm and subsequent evacuation of the hotel but I thank you for your co-operation in that situation. I'll pass your feedback with regards to the service provided by Edyta and Mike on to them from you and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

We originally visited this hotel mid April and were disappointed however when the opportunity arose for a return visit we agreed.

This visit was completely different. On arrival the receptionist read all the relevant information. The room was perfect and all the staff attentive and helpful. We visited during the bank holiday weekend and the hotel was busy with a wedding and other guests but the service remained at a high standard. The evening meal was delicious however some vegetables would have been welcome.

Breakfast was much improved with a much improved selection. We put do not disturb sign on our door and were impressed fresh towels, tea and toiletries were left outside the door.

Spa facilities were good as were the garden games and deck chairs.

Particular mention should go to mike in the restaurant who was fantastic in listening to our requests and including my eight year old in conversation. Also Oliver and Stuart for their assistance prior and during our visit.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your positive review following your recent reurn visit to Ettington Chase. I was pleased to read that you a had an enjoyable stay and I will pass on your feedback to Mike and Oliver.
I hope you choose to stay with us again in the near future.

Stuart
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ettington
Ettington Park Hotel
Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon
Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon
#9 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,089 reviews

Been to Ettington Chase Hotel? Share your experiences!