“Great fun weekend”

Ettington Chase Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ettington
Reviewed 10 August 2010

Stayed at hotel as part of a "Murder Mystery" weekend. My room was great, large, clean, quiet & well furnished. The food was pretty good considering we were a party of over 90.
Stratford is a lovely town to look round & there are lots of things to do locally. I can thoroughly recommend this hotel.

There are newer reviews for Ettington Chase Hotel

Reviewed 10 August 2010

We booked this hotel based on a previous stay at another Principal Hayley venue which was excellent. Other reviews of this hotel however didn't fill us with confidence. We need not have worried, check in was easy and quick just one admission with the morning paper on the first day but we weren't charged and found one to read in the lounge, 2nd morning no problem. Though this is primarily a conference venue we struck lucky as there were no conferences, weddings or events during our stay. the most exciting booking was a murder mystery but we didn't see any of the guests attending that. Breakfast was very civilised, being a hot buffet all of which was replenished constantly on both mornings, it was hot and freshly cooked and plenty of choice for all. We did however go out to eat in the evening after the reviews suggested the dinner menu was not as good as it could be. We visited the Chequers inn almost opposite the hotel and that was superb, advance booking essential. The pool and jacuzzi were very good and very clean. Our room was very clean and tidy with clean towels on both days All in all the hotel exceeded our initial expectations but think we dropped on a very quiet time and imagine it would be a very different experience with other functions running at the same time

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2010

This was my second stay at Ettington Chase having received a special offer after staying there before. We were extremely impressed this time although I can understand some of the negative comments made by other reviewers. We booked an executive room which we couldn't fault, newly decorated, large with beautiful bathroom. Breakfast was fine, we made sure that we were there early though being aware of the queues which happen later. Although not a fantastic selection, especially if you don't eat full cooked breakfast, it was adequate. We didn't eat in the restaurant in the evening, prefering to go out, it seemed expensive and, the room was more designed for a breakfast buffet than an evening meal. The staff were friendly and more helpful than last time. Parking is easy and plentiful. I think this is all about expectations and if you want a cosy country hotel then this is not the place to go but if you want it as a good base for Stratford and the Cotswolds and plan to be out most of the time then I would recommend for the price.

Reviewed 9 August 2010

I stayed at the above hotel arriving on 3/8/10 for two nights, I was shocked to find my room was over 150 yards from reception even though I had informed the hotel of my very limited walking. The distance to the car park to my room was a similar distance. this is not suitable for someone with very limited walking. The food at dinner was ok but not better than that and was overpriced. a lady sat at the next table requested some cream for her gateaux only to be told that they didn't have any! what sort of a hotel is this - "Fawlty" Towers. The room was clean but not accessible and I would put it on a par with The Travelodge chain. The bar was left unattended and after 5 mins (and with 4 guests now waiting to be served) I had to ring reception.

The only good point was the staff, they were unfailingly polite and courteous

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank ginablackpool
Reviewed 8 August 2010

Check in poor, 4 receptionists behind the desk and I had to wait while only one was actually dealing with guests. Throughout my stay others in my party had problems checking in, room was not ready, someone else unpacked then was asked to move because he'd been allocated the wrong room. My twin room had a bathroom with a small low sink designed for disabled people, there was only one set of toiletries, no toilet brush, no hairdryer and the window had a faulty mechanisim and would not shut. Added to this access codes for doors were not provided at check in and I had to go the long way round for the rest of my luggage, all this disappointment within 15 mins of checking in so I called for the manager. The manager was apologetic and sent someone to sort out the window. Breakfast was quite a good standard. I have stayed at 2 other Principal Hayley Hotels and this was the poorest. My main observation was that the running of the hotel appeared to be dis-organised and customer service improvements would benefit.

Reviewed 8 August 2010

We stayed at the Ettington Chase for a weekend away meeting a member of the family, and it is close to Stratford where they wanted to go. First impressions? Lovely old main building, with a huge "sleeping block" attached to the side of it. Our rooms were on the ground floor, didn't see this as a problem till the Saturday night. We ate in the hotel on the Friday night, which was average - service a bit indifferent, probably hampered by the presence of a very large party in one of the banqueting suites. Breakfast each morning was also similarly effected, with huge numbers of people converging on the breakfast buffet which caused issues.
Saturday night there was a wedding party or similar taking place, and we found that our room faced the suite where this was taking place - middle of summer, windows shut to try and keep down the noise (we failed). It would have been good had they warned us of this taking place.
Pool was good, and the gym, although small, had good range of equipment.
Extras...well, the bar prices are frankly outrageous, and would not have been out of place in a five star hotel in the centre of London or Manchester or Liverpool, but not five miles out of Stratford on Avon. It's all very well to offer realistic weekend rates, but the drinks charges took the shine off things.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2010

Booked into a superior room. Large bathroom with separate shower and bath. Room was nicely decorated. Really comfy bed. Tea/coffee making facilities. Room in general 10/10.

Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was buffet style. Lots to choose from the hot and cold buffet. Staff are ver hospitable and attentive.

We has passes to use their swiming pool/gym etc but didnt get a chance to use them.

I would highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ettington
Ettington Park Hotel
#13 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
Billesley Manor Hotel
Billesley Manor Hotel
#14 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to Ettington Chase Hotel? Share your experiences!