“Theatre Break”

Ettington Chase Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ettington
Reviewed 16 August 2010

We were going to the theatre for a matinee performance on the Saturday. The Ettington Chase is well situated with an easy drive to Stratford. There is a large car park located before you get into the city and close to the theatre. The hotel is a large wedding and conference hotel but it is clean, very comfortable and the staff very helpful. There was a wedding that day but there was no noise or nuisance. The breakfast next morning was excellent. We did go to the Chequers for our evening meal after seeing it reviewed on Trip Advisor. That was first class. All in all the hotel was perfect for what we wanted for the theatre break. Definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 15 August 2010

I recently enjoyed a trip with my adventure group SPICE where we had a murder mystery weekend.
As soon as i arrived the receptionist gave a very warm welcome and were all smiling to greet my large party (who arrived independently).
On walking to my room with many bags, two 'very nice' gentleman members of staff saw me struggling and helped me with my bags, showing me to my room.
All staff were very smartly dressed and created a very good impression.
The room was clean and ideal for my stay, with a window that I could open on the ground floor (important for me as I suffer with claustrophobia).
The whole area seemed very warm though, so couldve done with some air con really.
I didn't use the facilites as thought they'd be crowded with our large party in.
I did take a look though and the gym was small - but it was air conditioned.
There is a very comfortable library, bar area with a large screen TV and table football (quite dark, but nice for the evening) though drinks were expensive at £4.40 per small glass of wine. There is also seating in the foyer/corridor.

I enjoyed the food, though often things were ran out of when I went to obtain items ie chicken for dinner, several items for breakfast (which I later saw on other people's plates), bread rolls, had to wait for soup - we were a party of 98 though.
Overall I would recommend this hotel. Its just a small drive of about 7/8 miles from Stratford. There's a small village just a couple of minutes walk away which has a village shop/post office in it.
I also followed some of the marked waymarkers into the countryside and had a nice stroll.
The grounds weren't anything to write home about - the golf course that was advertised in the publicity was in very poor state and couldn't really make it out.
Maria from Nuneaton

Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 12 August 2010

Ettington Chase is in a very pleasant area although like all the Principal Hayley properties it is more geared up to the confrerence and buisness trade than the leisure visitor .The picture in the brochure as always the historic house and the majority of rooms are in the modern prison cell style blocks The staff are very pleasant and the room was a fair size .I would not suggest more than a 2 night stay here and unfortunatley they charge for 2 people in a room even if you are a single traveller which i find very annoying making a Travelodge or premier Inn far better value .I did make the head office aware but they did not take my point on board.Please make sure if you book online the bottle of wine is in the room that they offer as every time i stay with this group it is not there !! Not worth more than £40 a night !

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 August 2010

Stayed at hotel as part of a "Murder Mystery" weekend. My room was great, large, clean, quiet & well furnished. The food was pretty good considering we were a party of over 90.
Stratford is a lovely town to look round & there are lots of things to do locally. I can thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 10 August 2010

We booked this hotel based on a previous stay at another Principal Hayley venue which was excellent. Other reviews of this hotel however didn't fill us with confidence. We need not have worried, check in was easy and quick just one admission with the morning paper on the first day but we weren't charged and found one to read in the lounge, 2nd morning no problem. Though this is primarily a conference venue we struck lucky as there were no conferences, weddings or events during our stay. the most exciting booking was a murder mystery but we didn't see any of the guests attending that. Breakfast was very civilised, being a hot buffet all of which was replenished constantly on both mornings, it was hot and freshly cooked and plenty of choice for all. We did however go out to eat in the evening after the reviews suggested the dinner menu was not as good as it could be. We visited the Chequers inn almost opposite the hotel and that was superb, advance booking essential. The pool and jacuzzi were very good and very clean. Our room was very clean and tidy with clean towels on both days All in all the hotel exceeded our initial expectations but think we dropped on a very quiet time and imagine it would be a very different experience with other functions running at the same time

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2010

This was my second stay at Ettington Chase having received a special offer after staying there before. We were extremely impressed this time although I can understand some of the negative comments made by other reviewers. We booked an executive room which we couldn't fault, newly decorated, large with beautiful bathroom. Breakfast was fine, we made sure that we were there early though being aware of the queues which happen later. Although not a fantastic selection, especially if you don't eat full cooked breakfast, it was adequate. We didn't eat in the restaurant in the evening, prefering to go out, it seemed expensive and, the room was more designed for a breakfast buffet than an evening meal. The staff were friendly and more helpful than last time. Parking is easy and plentiful. I think this is all about expectations and if you want a cosy country hotel then this is not the place to go but if you want it as a good base for Stratford and the Cotswolds and plan to be out most of the time then I would recommend for the price.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 9 August 2010

I stayed at the above hotel arriving on 3/8/10 for two nights, I was shocked to find my room was over 150 yards from reception even though I had informed the hotel of my very limited walking. The distance to the car park to my room was a similar distance. this is not suitable for someone with very limited walking. The food at dinner was ok but not better than that and was overpriced. a lady sat at the next table requested some cream for her gateaux only to be told that they didn't have any! what sort of a hotel is this - "Fawlty" Towers. The room was clean but not accessible and I would put it on a par with The Travelodge chain. The bar was left unattended and after 5 mins (and with 4 guests now waiting to be served) I had to ring reception.

The only good point was the staff, they were unfailingly polite and courteous

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank ginablackpool
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ettington
Ettington Park Hotel
#15 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
The Stratford, A QHotel
The Stratford, A QHotel
#6 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to Ettington Chase Hotel? Share your experiences!