“Good value though some room facilities lacking” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Delfinos Bay Resort

Delfinos Bay Resort
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Torquay
Northampton
“Good value though some room facilities lacking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2012

We had a little difficulty finding someone at check in but after that a good welcome.

The car parking is under the motel and down a steep (short) driveway. After getting into the secure car park we went up to the room in the lift. It was awkward to get to our room using the luggage trolley so I did not use it when we checked out.

The room though large was a bit of a disappointment as it did not have a microwave and there was no wifi (not even any that could be paid for though there was a chargeable internet PC in reception). There were few channels on the TV.

The room was not made up while we were staying though maybe that is that is usual though we were not aware if that is so.

Room Tip: Be careful if you have heavy luggage that you can get it easily to the room. We had to negotiate a h...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2012 via mobile

Basic accommodation, which is all we had planned for. However we have milk and a fridge but no coffee, tea, cups or glasses and just had my worst shower ever with a dribble of water versus it coming gushing out of hand basin tap. Choose a sponge bath instead. Personnel helpful and friendly. Location next to two restaurants and beach across the road. However I would not return because of shower.

Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Kim A
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2012

I arranged to stay at Delfinos last year over Christmas - and had the worst experience. I found the hotel conditions way below par, and the manager rude and unfriendly.
Having just come back to tripadvisor one year later I see that Delfinos still has plenty of positive reviews, I don't understand why I was the unlucky one...?
To start - we collected the keys from an envelope at the closed hotel reception counter.
On entering the 2 bed apartment we found the unit ridden with ants, and filthy with outdated furniture.
It was absolutely impossible for us to stay there. When we tried to discuss this with the resort manager, all I got was verbal abuse about how I had ruined his christmas day - not thinking how his run-down units and filthy accommodation had ruined ours.
In later correspondence, I tried to resolve the issue of my paying for 2 nights accommodation which I could not think of sleeping in. The manager did not make any amends.
I have been left 300 dollars out of pocket for services that I didn't use all.

Word of advise - stay away from Delfinos.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Noa A
Hofheim am Taunus, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

We stayed in this hotel in August 2012 for 4 days before returning to Brisbane to fly back to Germany - we actually extended our stay by 1 day. The hotel is in a perfect location: the beach is just across the street, absolutely no winds due to the bay protection and a lot nicer than close to the harbor. Lots of small restaurants with a lot a local people - a lot more nightlife than around the big hotels at the harbor. Our favorite was the Irish Pub just around the door. This hotel is a family run business. The owners are extremely friendly and very supportive - we could reach them anytime also outside the business hours. We had an apartment with kitchen - big enough for the three of us and in a good condition with a very nice balcony to enjoy the morning sun. Closed underground parking under the hotel available. We really loved this place after all the big hotels we stayed in during our Australia trip!!!!
Nicolas, Monica + Helmut

Room Tip: Great morning sun on the second level
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Helmut_F123
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

I've been to Delfinos several times now and I can honestly say that I've never had a problem with the staff, the rooms or the location. Considering the price I found the hotel more than reasonable. It truly is a home away from home. For those seeking room service this is not for you, the apartments are self contained and you will need to cook for yourself, but in saying that the facilities are perfect for that. I'll say it again, it is a self contained apartment which is just how I like it, if you stay longer than a week your apartment will get cleaned and all linen and bath towels etc. will be replaced. This is perfect for families or a group of friends. I also can't believe I forgot about the wonderful managers, these people were always friendly to me and I never had a problem with them. For those who have I suggest that they re-examine how they treated the staff, because to me they were the most friendly and polite and genuine managers I've ever met. I'll be going again for years to come...

Room Tip: Bottom floors are ideal for families as they have much larger outdoor areas.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Ben A
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

We stayed one night in a "hotel room" on our way to Brisbane. These rooms are fairly small, a bit smaller than an average hotel/motel room. The room badly needed refurbishing; walls and doors were marked and damaged. The apartments would be larger and could be in better condition, however I didn't view these.
The windows can only open a short way to conform with new OHS regulations (apparently) and the room was fitted with an airconditioner and fan. The airconditioner was quiet but was too large for the small room - we had to manually torn on and off to avoid freezing the room. And the fan was very old and was too noisy for a good sleep.
The managers were very friendly and helpful, but the quality of the accomodation let them down.
Price was $95, I think there would be better motels for this price.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank RStuff
Llandudno, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

My husband & Istayed at Delfinos in November when we were on our touring holiday adventure. Everything was wonderful large one bedroom apartment with a full kitchen, laundry facilities which are always very welcome when you are touring. Very convenient location for the beach, only across the road, there was a supermarket within walking distance and a very nice Irish Pub next door (Houlies) from which there is no noise. Our apartment had a balcony at the front of the building so we could sit and have a drink and watch the world go by. There was plenty of secure undercover parking. The couple who run it made us feel very well and we soon realised that they were from the north of England which is also our home territory. The swimming pool is a good size and it was heated. All in all we had a superb stay and thoroughly recommend it to future travellers.

Room Tip: If you want to watch the world go by ask for room at front, but if you want a quieter life have one...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pauline D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torquay
Mantra Hervey Bay
Akama Resort
Akama Resort
#3 of 24 in Hervey Bay
White Crest Luxury Apartments

Been to Delfinos Bay Resort? Share your experiences!