We visited the resort in October 2013 on the 3D2N tour. 1750 Ringit per person.
Price: Absolutely ridiculously overpriced. And worst of all they charge you for everything they can. Arriving early/late or want to leave early or late? Pay 100/person (even if another car is driving anyway they will still charge you for no reason whatsoever) . Need a power adapter? Pay. Coke, Soda, WATER : pay It is annoying and does not match the price. Their prices for everything are reasonable but it is just a joke to have to pay for every little thing ...
Hotel: The rooms are ok. Nothing fancy but compfy beds and AC + Fan.
NO TV, NO www, not a lot of towels or anything at all. Very basic. but ok for us. The Sheds are build out of wood with a metal shell so that it is very very loud when it rains (which it does on a lot of nights) so BRING EAR PLUGS
The walkways are falling apart and need maintenance.
The couches in the public sitting area where covered in black fungus and dirty
Dinning hall was clean a lot of flies.. but there is not much you can do I guess..
Setting: The reservoir is in the middle of a lot of plantations but it quite big - the roads to and from the resort are also the main roads for the tours so that you usually have the jungle on one side and the plantations on the other. Really beautiful jungle. But be sure you bring tons of insect repellant and also anti-leeches clothing. Quite a lot of those blood suckers got to me...
The tours: They drive you in pick ups with benches on the back along the main road and are on the look out for birds, monkeys and elephants. The elephants take the same route most days so that I think it is almost certain that your guide can show you the herd. Very nice to see a herd of about 20-25 animals or so... Other than that the trekking was more like 1-2 hour als with not much to see besides the jungle and birds. If you are a nature LOVER and Birdwatcher you will LOVE this place. If you are a normal tourist looking for a fun experience this is NOT the place to go to.
The waterfall is quite nice. a short walk from the truck (400 meters to be exact) you'll get to a small river that leads to a nice little waterfall where you can swim. If you've been around Asia a bit it is not too special but anyway a nice swim.
Food; Rice + vegetables + chicken or fish. Everything meaty is fried usually .... the food overall i really ok but absolutely does not fit the pricing or deserves any great reviews. You can eat it but it is not good or great.
Staff: Friendly and helpful.
Management: unfriendly. We were greeted by the manager with "What do you want near my office" when we visited the little store (which is in his office) and his mood did not improve much in the following days.
Overall it really depends what you are looking for. We were disappointed even though the nature is beautiful. but we felt the Hotel part of the deal was a huge disappointiment ....
As an example: NOT once was our group asked what we want to see but we were just taken on tours that the guides felt like doing. When we asked what else we could do besides the morning jungle trek the answer was: Only f you pay extra ...then we can go for a drive...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tabin Was declared a wildlife reserve because of the large numbers of animal species inhabiting its forest, including several which are highly endangered. With a protected forest area of 120,500 hectares, Tabin plays an important role as a dedicated ground for the breeding of endangered wildlife and protected mammals in Sabah. Tabin Wildlife Resort offers visitor facilities and accommodation within the wildlife reserve to provide a comfortable stay whilst experiencing the spectacular Borneo flora and fauna. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotels.com, Odigeo, Booking.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Tabin Wildlife Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tabin Wildlife Hotel Lahad Datu
- Tabin Wildlife Resort Lahad Datu, Malaysia - Sabah